Chapala.com Webboard

CI Banco ATM

Mainecoons

29 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

How do you know if you are reimbursed . My ATM amount withdrawn on my bank just says XX amount of dollars according to the exchange rate. Reimbursement is not designated on my bank statement. 

I have USAA and I get a notice of deposit of the ATM fee after I use the card at any ATM. 

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Capital one reimburses for ATM fees at CI Banco.  I'm not sure this is the case for HSBC.

I pay no fees at HSBC.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

And you use Capital One, just like MC?

No, I use HSBC in Canada so no fees at an HSBC ATM anywhere. Their ATMs had lots of money.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I went yesterday also early morning, hit 5 bank machines and none of them had money.  Annoying since most of them you have to go through the entire process to find out there’s no cash.  Went back late afternoon and they had been filled.  With high season upon us, I’ll be sure to put a little stash aside for shortages.  

I stopped getting money from ATMs years ago. All I got were a bunch of 500 peso bills with the final $500 pesos of the withdrawal, two $200s and one $100.

I hated buying something for about 20 pesos and having to hand the seller a $500 peso note.

I finally broke down and opened a bank account. What a relief. I chose Actinver simply because it was between my home in West Ajijic and the restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy that I usually visit/use.

I can usually go into the bank and enter the very short teller line and within a few minutes what out with the change that I want.

How do I put money in my Actinver bank and/or brokerage account? In my case I either wire money down from my Bank of America account to Actinver or write a check on a Bank of America account made out to me and deposit that in Actinver. Oh and the parking at the bank is great.

I have been doing this for more than 15 years and have never had a problem.

I take that back there is one very very small problem. There's no free coffee these days because of the new Covid19 Virus restrictions.

PS rumor has it that soon the ATMs will also be regularly dispersing $1,000 peso notes along with the $500s. 

5 hours ago, johanson said:

I stopped getting money from ATMs years ago. All I got were a bunch of 500 peso bills with the final $500 pesos of the withdrawal, two $200s and one $100.

I hated buying something for about 20 pesos and having to hand the seller a $500 peso note.

I finally broke down and opened a bank account. What a relief. I chose Actinver simply because it was between my home in West Ajijic and the restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy that I usually visit/use.

I can usually go into the bank and enter the very short teller line and within a few minutes what out with the change that I want.

How do I put money in my Actinver bank and/or brokerage account? In my case I either wire money down from my Bank of America account to Actinver or write a check on a Bank of America account made out to me and deposit that in Actinver. Oh and the parking at the bank is great.

I have been doing this for more than 15 years and have never had a problem.

I take that back there is one very very small problem. There's no free coffee these days because of the new Covid19 Virus restrictions.

PS rumor has it that soon the ATMs will also be regularly dispersing $1,000 peso notes along with the $500s. 

Only problem is you're not getting a very good exchange rate.  ATMs have the best rate.

3 hours ago, lcscats said:

We get very good rates from XE  also and money is coverted to Pesos away from local bank for example.

What do you mean "away from local bank"? The local bank does "not convert the exchange rate". That is done by Visa or Mastercard using an ATM, where you get the top rate. Much better than XE.

2 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

What do you mean "away from local bank"? The local bank does "not convert the exchange rate". That is done by Visa or Mastercard using an ATM, where you get the top rate. Much better than XE. You need to check it out. Losing too much money.

14 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Only problem is you're not getting a very good exchange rate.  ATMs have the best rate.

Just moved some more canbucks to my Intercam account by cheque. They would give a better rate if electronic transfer but I find the cheque thing easier. XE was 16.65 and I got 16.36. So when I go to the window and get cash in nano seconds[except sometimes mon. or fri.] nada further charge. Waaaay better than sweating about all sorts of ATM's running out of cash and wringing my hands about what pittance it costs each time. I'm retired here for a good time not a hard time and never want to sweat the little things.

14 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Yes, I only got 21.7 pesos per US dollar. What did you get Mainecoons? My secret as to how I get such a good exchange rate? It's really simple, I wait until the value of the dollar is high and wire the money at that time. Oh, and it depends upon whether you wire one thousand or ten thousand dollars down.

Actinver has always provided me with a good exchange rate. Oh and I should add, the exchange rate today is closer to 20. I always wait until the exchange rate is in my favor before wiring from B of America to Actinver, which isn't today :)

4 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

What do you mean "away from local bank"? The local bank does "not convert the exchange rate". That is done by Visa or Mastercard using an ATM, where you get the top rate. Much better than XE.

My post had nothing to do with ATM or Visa or Mastercard.   Money goes from BOA to XE bank than sent converted to Pesos to BBVA.  This is a better process than USD check due to BBVA converting dollars to pesos at a less than good rate.   XE rate is fine as I am not willing to play ATM roulette like many of you do.

4 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes, I only got 21.7 pesos per US dollar. What did you get Mainecoons? My secret as to how I get such a good exchange rate? It's really simple, I wait until the value of the dollar is high and wire the money at that time. Oh, and it depends upon whether you wire one thousand or ten thousand dollars down.

Actinver has always provided me with a good exchange rate. Oh and I should add, the exchange rate today is closer to 20. I always wait until the exchange rate is in my favor before wiring from B of America to Actinver, which isn't today :)

And when did you get 21.7?  Not for a while.  Last time it got close to that was early March of this year.

Do you factor in the cost of wiring?  That has gotten pricier as well.

Nevertheless, several have made a good point about the ATM roulette, which seems to have gotten more challenging in the last several years.  We are meeting with Actinver for portfolio review in the light of rising interest rates so will revisit this with them.

Thanks to all who responded to the OP about improving the odds of winning the ATM roulette.