Chapala.com Webboard

to which bank belong the atm's that are in superlake?

19 hours ago, Citizen of the World said:

to which bank belong the atm's that are in superlake? TIA. :)

fyi, that is the only ATM in area I avoid as I have had problems with it....twice in a 2 month period the slot where you insert your card was noticeably loose/wonky....as if the housing around it had been tampered with or replaced/repaired poorly.  

Far better to use an ATM at a bank during business hours when bank employees are around....my preference is BBVA at Ajijic Plaza, then Intercam, then Multiva.  Used to use the ATM at LCS (Intercam, I think??), but there isn't always a bank employee there (had been a man who sat there most of the morning, but it's hit and miss now with the young woman who has replaced him).  

I use a Charles Schwab debit card so all bank ATM fees  are refunded to my account at end of month.  Those fees can add up nowadays...my rebate is often around $30 USD.   

• Thanks 1

The ATM at SuperLake has always been Multiva. I no longer use it after my debit card was used fraudulently there. I have never had problems with HSBC atm's AT the bank nor with Multiva machines AT Multiva. YMMV. I don't use the machines often enough to make hunting for one that returns the fees worth while. YMMV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

The ATM at SuperLake has always been Multiva. I no longer use it after my debit card was used fraudulently there. I have never had problems with HSBC atm's AT the bank nor with Multiva machines AT Multiva. YMMV. I don't use the machines often enough to make hunting for one that returns the fees worth while. YMMV. 

fyi, Schwab refunds ATM fees from any ATM in the world, no hunting.  

• Thanks 1

Whatever works for you. I doubt very much if I'm going to get a Schwab account just so I can save money on ATM fees. Can a Canadian even open a Schwab account? Whatever. Your information may be helpful to someone considering a permanent move here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

It used to be HSBC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Whatever works for you. I doubt very much if I'm going to get a Schwab account just so I can save money on ATM fees. Can a Canadian even open a Schwab account? Whatever. Your information may be helpful to someone considering a permanent move here.

I think most banks offer that type of service. RBC's VIP debit, reimburses all foreign and domestic atm fees and covers other acount fees etc. They do charge $30 month (nothing is ever, really free).

Edited by Whipstock
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

I mentioned Schwab for the OP who is in process of moving down from US.  Since 2017 I have saved nearly 2,000 USD in ATM fees in MX alone.  We had been going to EU once or twice a year pre-pandemic and Schwab covered us there, too.  

• Like 1

I gave up ATMs years ago because almost all they gave out were 500 peso notes and now possibly $1,000 peso notes soon. Why? because I felt guilty buying small items costing a small fraction of $500 with a $500 peso note.

What bank did I choose? One that is located on the way between home and my favorite restaurants which happens to be Actinver Bank. 

How do I get my US  funds to Actinver Bank by either wiring funds from my US bank to Actinver or by depositing US checks written to me in my account at the bank. Sure, it takes maybe 4 to 6 weeks for a US check deposited in my Actinver Account to clear. But no problem. I ensure that there is already enough funds in my account for that not to be a problem

When I need money I go to the teller and within a few minutes I am able to request and get one thousand to two thousand pesos all in small bills broken down as I wish.

So NO I never carry large amount of cash in big bills with me, rather an average of less than $1,000 pesos in small notes at any one time.

It makes life easy for me and and the retailers happy

• Thanks 1

One reason I use BBVA at Ajijic Plaza is that I go directly inside (rarely crowded) and get my 500's broken down to an assortment of  200-100-50-20 bills every so often. 

Banks in Mexico are required to change large bills, even for non-customers such as myself.  Never an issue, always a pleasant conversation with the cashier.  Never waited more than 7 minutes, though if I see a large number of customers inside, I will go back another time.  Most days I walk by the plaza at least twice.

https://www.mexperience.com/no-hay-cambio/

You can take large bills to any retail bank and ask for change, and by law you don’t have to be a customer of the bank to request change from them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, Ferret said:

In 2010 it was HSBC-that was when HSBC was in Chapala not Laguna mall.

• Haha 2