Chapala.com Webboard

Questions about a will

1 hour ago, Fred Habacht said:

If I have a Mexican will and have no assets in any other country....must my executor pay a fee to have my will probated?

From my experience I would say yes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

There are lawyers that read this and also people who have been and are executors...I had hoped to hear of their experiences.....

Shocking coming from a retired lawyer who no doubt got paid for advice so why don't you do the right thing. You are not indigent requiring pro bono are you?

• Sad 6

I recently had a Mexican will done by Notario #2.  He said they do need to be probated but he suggested that it is easier if the same notario handles it as the one who notarized the will in the first place.  If the person has no Mexican assets, a Mexican will is not needed.

• Like 1

OP says he ONLY has Mexican assets. I assume he owns his house, as otherwise he doesn't need a Mexican will if he makes someone beneficiary of his bank account.

And of course the notario said he should be the one to handle (your) the probate.... he'll get a fat fee for same (tho' it's the lawyers in his office who will  do the work)!  Lawyers are allowed to handle probate, and they're cheaper.  How easy or difficult the process will be depends a lot on (1) simple or complicated (2) diverse or few actual assets (3) value of total estate. A close friend passed away  2 1/2 years ago and his Mexican will (for clearly defined / few Mx assets only, but with complications not relevant here) is STILL in   process.............

Yes Fred... please do yourself a favor and ask a lawyer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kam said:

This is not helpful. Consider the source.

Outing Freddie as a former lawyer and now asking for free legal advice is a problem for you and his other buddies? Ask him how often he gave it away free. Where is your moral fiber-eh! He should take natasha's advice And pay a lawyer because he doesn't qualify for pro bono.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Outing Freddie as a former lawyer and now asking for free legal advice is a problem for you and his other buddies? Ask him how often he gave it away free. Where is your moral fiber-eh! He should take natasha's advice And pay a lawyer because he doesn't qualify for pro bono.

Come on Pedro, you're getting a bit too personal here.

Fred was not a former Mexican lawyer.  And none of us know or should care about how free he was with his advice on U.S. legal matters.

His questions were good one.  We had the same and ended up doing a Mexican will because we own a house here.  As noted, you can name your heirs as beneficiaries on bank and investment accounts.  

Actually, if you are certain who you are leaving it to, and the heirs are direct relatives I believe you can put them directly on your house deeds as well and avoid probate altogether.  It does seem to rake a long, expensive time to probate a will here.  If this might work for one, consult a notary.

It didn't work for us because there are no blood relatives we'd leave anything to, let alone a house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Come on Pedro, you're getting a bit too personal here.

Fred was not a former Mexican lawyer.  And none of us know or should care about how free he was with his advice on U.S. legal matters.

His questions were good one.  We had the same and ended up doing a Mexican will because we own a house here.  As noted, you can name your heirs as beneficiaries on bank and investment accounts.  

Actually, if you are certain who you are leaving it to, and the heirs are direct relatives I believe you can put them directly on your house deeds as well and avoid probate altogether.  It does seem to rake a long, expensive time to probate a will here.  If this might work for one, consult a notary.

It didn't work for us because there are no blood relatives we'd leave anything to, let alone a house.

He was a lawyer in the US not Mexico and I made my point quite clear in my posts. Under those circumstances I agreed with Natasha that he should consult with a lawyer since he is far from indigent.I have met him in real life.

• Sad 1