Chapala.com Webboard

One Thousand Peso Note

TelsZ4

Gosh, I haven't seen any $1000 peso notes for quite a while. I wonder how willing the locals are to accept a large note like that, especially if you are purchasing something for a few hundred pesos or less?

Many folks have no problem with having $5,000 or so pesos in their wallets or purses. Me? I try to keep at most, about $2,000 pesos. It's really all I need. And often, when I buy something worth more than $1,000 pesos, I simply use my NOB credit card

58 minutes ago, johanson said:

Gosh, I haven't seen any $1000 peso notes for quite a while. I wonder how willing the locals are to accept a large note like that, especially if you are purchasing something for a few hundred pesos or less?

Many folks have no problem with having $5,000 or so pesos in their wallets or purses. Me? I try to keep at most, about $2,000 pesos. It's really all I need. And often, when I buy something worth more than $1,000 pesos, I simply use my NOB credit card

I like to have a stash of 50,000 or so pesos for whatever.

22 minutes ago, cedros said:

I like to have a stash of 50,000 or so pesos for whatever.

I would rather keep that much in the bank, rather than hidden in the house or wherever.

:)  :)  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time around many places put up signs saying they would not accept them.  And it goes without saying...... totally thoughtless and unfair to try and unload one on a small store for a small purchase.

If I got them in an ATM, I always turned them in to bank tellers in exchange for 500's or less,  and I will do the same again.

10 hours ago, johanson said:

I would rather keep that much in the bank, rather than hidden in the house or wherever.

:)  :)  :) 

In a Mexican bank!? Many Mexicans don't keep their stash in a bank.

10 hours ago, Natasha said:

Well this is one sure way to broadcast hat to the world at large.  Hope you didn't post it to FB too  🤔

Not to worry as my security is very tight.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, cedros said:

In a Mexican bank!? Many Mexicans don't keep their stash in a bank.

Sorry but millions of Mexicans keep their money in the Bank. Our paychecks and pensions are deposited automatically.

Maybe you meant to say 'poor people living in Mexico"  which also would apply to poor people all over the world, including our northern neighbors.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dcstroker said:

Hardly a recommendation to keep it in your home. Just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it safe.

At my home I make certain it is safe but I can't at a bank.

21 hours ago, dcstroker said:

Hardly a recommendation to keep it in your home. Just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it safe.

From my experience over many years and banks in Mexico I feel it is safer in the right place at home than in a Mexican bank.