Chapala.com Webboard

How much Trompa to use for leaf cutter ants

The insructions are on it. They say don't put it down their hole but near it or near their path. A teaspoon of two. If they take it away add more. Keep an eye on your pets they may eat it.  Patron are a pellet that work in a similar way. I often mixed the two.   I have two pages (too long to post here) on my dealing with ants over a number of years if you want that send me you email address. I found some things that workk better or just as well.

I use Tree Tanglefoot it works very well on trees. Much more effective than Trompa, Patron, Hormigol, Fito Klor, etc. The Tree Tanglefoot won't really work on plants that have multiple stems or multiple places where the plant makes contact with the ground or a wall.

After awhile I find the ants avoid the pellet types like Trompa and Patron. Meanwhile I notice my dogs will eat the pellet

Maybe anteaters are the solution.

The Indios or natives had quite a diiferent way of dealing with leaf cutiing ants.

• Like 1

Don't let the pellets get wet.  If the ground is damp put them on a stick or something in the ant's path that will allow the pellets to sit slightly above the wet ground.  I sprinkle the pellets along several trails I find and then more on the nest entrance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cedros said:

The insructions are on it.

Yes, the instructions are on it, and it says "Se recomienda aplicar la cantidad suficiente de producto..." No idea how much "cantidad suficiente" (sufficient quantity) implies, meaning I found the instructions not sufficient. Based on Artsnob and Yo1's reply, I will sprinkle a handful and ensure they stay dry. Thanks.

1 hour ago, InChapala1 said:

Yes, the instructions are on it, and it says "Se recomienda aplicar la cantidad suficiente de producto..." No idea how much "cantidad suficiente" (sufficient quantity) implies, meaning I found the instructions not sufficient. Based on Artsnob and Yo1's reply, I will sprinkle a handful and ensure they stay dry. Thanks.

I would not use a handfurl literally as it is toxic.

"Trompa has been evaluated extensively by the EPA for its effect on humans and the environment. Although it can be highly toxic, most formulated products are of low toxicity to humans and other mammals, making it safe to use. Trompa is relatively non-toxic to birds; however, it is highly toxic for bees and fish".

On 11/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Josehm said:

Hi Trompa uses the AI Abanamectin. You can spray that over your plants and eventually have the same effect.

Until it is washed off by rain or watering.