Chapala.com Webboard

Residente Permanente age requirement?

KevinR

I’m 60 years old and am interested in getting a residente permanente visa… I have more than enough money in my IRA to provide the 12 months of statements to fulfill the $150,000+ financial balance requirements… But I have read that for a residente permanente visa you need to be “Retired”… I have read in forums that being 60+ yo is sufficient to be considered retired without any questions?… I am not working living off investments and rentals and have no plans to work in Mexico… But what should I expect when I go to a US Mexican Consul with my residente permanente visa application?

Much Thanks

This information is from Sonia Diaz's website.
Under Mexican Consulate Pre-approval: "You must tell the consulate staff you intend to retire."

Under Permanent Resident Visa: "Some consulates will not provide Permanent Resident pre-approval to those under retirement age. For those who are Temporary Residents and living in Mexico, you may become a Permanent Resident in less than 4 years if of retirement age."

You can see her website here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html