Chapala.com Webboard

yes in Riberas

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

Wow, had no idea we had these here.  Do you think the rain and chill is bringing them out?

That's mi amigo that caught it.It's a diamond back and they are all over Jalisco. The joys of having a casa on the edge of the wild mountain. You don't have to worry where you are. When I went walking behind my cabin in Montana, I used a long walking stick and tapped it back and forth ahead of me so if there was one I would here the rattle before it was too late. They generally only strike if surprised and can extend 2/3 of their length when doing so.

• Like 1

Scary enough but be glad it was "only" a rattler. Worse danger is Coral snakes..... usually in the hills above us, but have been found in some (gated) communities backing up onto same. Small, fast, and VERY poisonous. And years ago a friend found one on the floor of his pick-up within Ajijic town limits.

18 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Scary enough but be glad it was "only" a rattler. Worse danger is Coral snakes..... usually in the hills above us, but have been found in some (gated) communities backing up onto same. Small, fast, and VERY poisonous. And years ago a friend found one on the floor of his pick-up within Ajijic town limits.

Both coral and king snakes are here and there are way more kings[non poison] around that people confuse with the coral.

coral vs. king snake.jpg

• Thanks 1

Off topic but please be aware that the "furry" caterpillars are also in the hills above Ajijic. They are venomous and require a trip to a clinic IMMEDIATELY for the anti-venom. My dog walker, Richie, had a brush with one this past Sunday. He is a young, strapping young man and he was in agony for 17 hours. 

image.thumb.png.8739d214e238ecce50c76c03e7b3be29.png

Disposition of the snake matters too. True, coral snakes have more dangerous venom, but they tend to be shy and slither/run away more often than attack. Don't recall the source, but Corals cause about 1-2% of snake bites in Mexico. Rattle snakes are more aggressive. Hence more bites and fatalities due to rattlers here.