Chapala.com Webboard

Loud Fireworks in my neighborhood of Ajijic

johanson

Boy, I forget, each year how loud the local fireworks can be. I was told that there would be fireworks off and on for the next week or two in the greater Ajijic area.

Does anyone have any idea where one can buy ear plugs locally?  I forgot to bring some down this year. Hey, I even had double glazed windows put in my bedroom to help cut the noise levels at night. But the fireworks seem to be getting louder and louder each year  

:) :( 

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Turning down the volume is easy for people. It is not so easy for the animals and birds who are traumatized.

Those loud noises sure bother my 2 dogs and 3 cats. Oh and it seems that one of the spots where these rockets are being fired is about a block below where I live and often the explosions are  about the same elevation as my home. So yes it can be very loud up here. It all depends upon where the fireworks are when they explode and how powerful they are. 

It's silly to wear earplugs for cohetes because they are so sporadic, unlike noisy bar bands, events, or nearby carpenters.  October is the month of celebration of Ajijic\s Virgin del Rosarioi and typically festivities including daily extra masses and rosaries have gone on throughout the month culminating with a big Fiesta on Oct. 31. which has nothing to do with Halloween.  Because of the pandemic, no traditional fiestas, which always attract large crowds, have been held for 18 months.  This is very sad for the village but probably not even noticed by the gringos who rarely attend these very fun events.  The only thing villagers can do is set off cohetes and put up decorations.  

Yes, the cohetes are getting louder.  I spoke to a couple of MX guys in espanyol, and they told me they are making them now with less gunpowder which makes them not go so far up in the sky, but they explode at a lower altitude which makes them closer and louder.

You can't get good earplugs in MX, before yes, now, no.  I have had friends bring me down boxes of them from up north.

Here is a brief video of the festivities which I have enjoyed immensely.  Ever since I came here, I was drawn to the pre-hispanic side of the culture and this fiesta was always my favorite.

Next time you see a military group ask them for some earplugs. Some are required to have them as part of their uniform and don't care for them. Thisee guys you might have to speak louder to :) No matter what the advertised db rating advertised the foam ones work best. You have to cram the plastic ones against your eardrum to be as effective as the foam onees. Construction supply stores usually have ear plugs with a cord connecting them so they can be slung around the neck always available so you can protected your nervous thoughts :)

Many many years ago, I was in a US Army Artillery unit. And gosh, did I learn how loud things could be.

Heck, even if these earplugs only drop the dB level by 20% or 40%, that could be just enough to keep the fireworks from waking me. I enjoy a full nights sleep and will be happy to spend a few pesos, dollars, or whatever to help me get that wonderful feeling one gets after a full nights sleep.                              :) :) :)

Pete, do you think you can sleep wearing headphones? Sony has a line of noise cancelling headphones, often on sale on Amazon. I am sure you can buy rolls of soundproofing. This is a black rubber foam with noise catching pyramids on it. You could install in a "bomb shelter" for your pets. Dr. Hugo the Audiologist at Quality Care has a hearing testing booth with this stuff - it really works.

I had a pair of sound cancelling headphones and they aren't bad. It was just that my headphones were so large :) .  I think that it's time to check out a new pair to see if smaller ones might be more comfortable when I sleep on my back.

58 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

??? If you're trying to sleep, there's nothing silly about it. Even if they only go off twice in a night, at least you won't be blasted awake. 

That's how I look at it, as well.

:) :) 

7 hours ago, johanson said:

Many many years ago, I was in a US Army Artillery unit. And gosh, did I learn how loud things could be.

Heck, even if these earplugs only drop the dB level by 20% or 40%, that could be just enough to keep the fireworks from waking me. I enjoy a full nights sleep and will be happy to spend a few pesos, dollars, or whatever to help me get that wonderful feeling one gets after a full nights sleep.                              :) :) :)

Only one thing to do. Counter battery.