Chapala.com Webboard

Living certificate

HoneyBee

Each country has their own quirks. Do they not have a form specific to Switzerland on the website you can download and print?  Canada certainly does.... more forms than you could ever imagine could exist. 😂

Canada accepts doctor, lawyer (not notary), teacher, etc but not a family member. I get our veterinarian to sign ours when needed and just call him "Dr."...... no need to specify D.V.M.  LOL

• Haha 3

Thank you all for your suggestions. last year I asked the Notario office in Chula Vista if they could fill out the form I have and they said yes but it would cost 6,000.00 Pesos. I thought that was expensive for a 5 minute job so hoped for other options. When living in Canada, I use to take my mom to city hall where a clerk would sign and stamp and at no costs. Oh well different country different ways. ☺️

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

In Mexico, a "Notario" is a lawyer who deals in wills, real estate transfers, etc.

I KNOW what a Notario is.... but since Cedros used the English word "notary" (different qualification but OP is only one year here so???) I did too.  My point is you do NOT need a Notario nor the high cost of same.

Main thing is OP really needs to be sure they use the correct form... hence the suggestion to go back to Swiss gov't and check that out.

I'm thinking if you include a picture of enjoying a cool drink at the side of the lake with festivities they might say you need to report monthly :) 

Although it would be a funny response. Maybe include a bar bill for them saying the bar wants proof they are Swiss bothering their customer.

Possibly if there's a Swiss consulate or embassy they'd have a shorter and cheaper route where they handle the leg between Mexico and Switzerland. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Many of these requests are written with the particular countries way of operating and thinking. For example getting your bank manager to sign and stamp it would suffice...maybe still does, who is your bank?

Bancomer. Monday I will swing by the Notary office which is across from Spencer. I remember that they notarize copies of documents for 100 pesos so maybe they have a reasonable rate to state that I am alive. ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

Bancomer. Monday I will swing by the Notary office which is across from Spencer. I remember that they notarize copies of documents for 100 pesos so maybe they have a reasonable rate to state that I am alive. ☺️

They use to supply notarized copies for a reasonable price, but last time it was about 200p if memory serves me correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, Alpha1 said:

They use to supply notarized copies for a reasonable price, but last time it was about 200p if memory serves me correctly.

Just for general information, this past week, I had this Notary office notarize my yearly Swiss living certificate for 2,000.00 Pesos. Then I had to pay DHL 1,280.00 Pesos to have it courier to Switzerland. Its expensive to be alive. ☺️ 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Hardly snooping given that many relatives  or friends do not report deaths. Statically how many 80/90 plus pensioner can really be alive? 

Per SSA website as of December 2020, number of retired workers receiving benefits by age.  https://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/byage.html

Age 62 - 69    19.07 million

Age 70 - 84    29.67 million

Age 85 plus     5.77 million

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Per SSA website as of December 2020, number of retired workers receiving benefits by age.  https://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/byage.html

Age 62 - 69    19.07 million

Age 70 - 84    29.67 million

Age 85 plus     5.77 million

That number(s) do not say how many maybe deceased, only the number of checks being written!  ...Hence the government  "snooping " to verify your existence 

12 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

That number(s) do not say how many maybe deceased, only the number of checks being written!  ...Hence the government  "snooping " to verify your existence 

Good point. In the USA SS fraud is fairly easy. In Mexico my wife has to sign in person once a year. My 80 year old neighbor once a month for their Mexican pensions.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Good point. In the USA SS fraud is fairly easy. In Mexico my wife has to sign in person once a year. My 80 year old neighbor once a month for their Mexican pensions.

In the US when a person dies the funeral home or crematorium is required to notify the SSA.  They do that almost immediately; I can attest to that after handling or helping with the estates of 2 parents and 2 in-laws.  

It is very difficult to conceal the death of someone in the US....unless they die at home and you bury them in your backyard.  

Funeral home or crematoriums are required to notify the US consulate of a death.  The consulate issues official death certificates.  Similar to the States, order a sufficient number of death certificates as trying to get extras later can be difficult and expensive.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

In the US when a person dies the funeral home or crematorium is required to notify the SSA.  They do that almost immediately; I can attest to that after handling or helping with the estates of 2 parents and 2 in-laws.  

It is very difficult to conceal the death of someone in the US....unless they die at home and you bury them in your backyard.  

I agree....however if a USA person holding dual citizen ship and has 2 passports and choose to show and declare the passport with no or lesser benefit,  the surviving partner can "illegal " take the USA pension monies .

I am not sure what the obligation is of the funeral home is if the deceased  is say French,Swiss,British? I do know of a daughter's British mother  who died, and the daughter failed to report her death and spend the pension money . Also the other "fraud " is dual British citizens declaring they live in the USA to receive the annual COLA  increase on their British pensions,  but they are Perminate living in Mexico