Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Septic smell in casita


cedros
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks. If there are traps there is water in them. The shower drain seems to be the problem. I guess I have to get a plumber to look at it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The shower drain is often the problem and, unfortunately, is often the one without a trap. Which makes it difficult to live with. The flat covers work well. Alternatively, trapped hair stinks! And the stink won't go away until the hair is removed or rots completely. I wouldn't suggest bleach since it's a septic tank but you may want to pour a bottle of hydrogen peroxide down it. I prefer the drains lid in a checkerboard rather than slots or slits. Hair sits on the top and is easily removed after every shower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a bad smell coming from our shower drain about a year ago.  We removed the drain cover, cleaned the area that we could reach and put Draino down the drain. We then ran water in the shower about an hour later.  Problem was solved.  We did not need a plumber.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

The shower drain is often the problem and, unfortunately, is often the one without a trap. Which makes it difficult to live with. The flat covers work well. Alternatively, trapped hair stinks! And the stink won't go away until the hair is removed or rots completely. I wouldn't suggest bleach since it's a septic tank but you may want to pour a bottle of hydrogen peroxide down it. I prefer the drains lid in a checkerboard rather than slots or slits. Hair sits on the top and is easily removed after every shower.

It smells like I need more than the flat cover.

I'll try draino next.

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

We had a bad smell coming from our shower drain about a year ago.  We removed the drain cover, cleaned the area that we could reach and put Draino down the drain. We then ran water in the shower about an hour later.  Problem was solved.  We did not need a plumber.  

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

We had a bad smell coming from our shower drain about a year ago.  We removed the drain cover, cleaned the area that we could reach and put Draino down the drain. We then ran water in the shower about an hour later.  Problem was solved.  We did not need a plumber.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Mexican neighbours say to put cloro down the drains but would not chloro kill good bacteria which are supposed to be doing the digesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many houses in Mexico do not have vented toilet or vented washing machines. This creates a vacuum when any large quantity of water, like the rinse cycle of a washing machine. Sewage gases need somewhere to go, so they can bubble up anywhere that is connected to the system. Also, making it hard to flush toilets, showers, etc. It is expensive to retrofit venting systems.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have cleaned the hair out of the trap and used Drano Max Gel and the place smells much better. Tracked down someone who knows the property-apparently the septic tank has never been pumped out. The place is about 30 years old and the soil has poor drainage so the  tank  might be quite full.

Mixed reviews on whether or not Draino can damage PVC piping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Here you can buy a shower drain with a built in mini trap to prevent air escaping, but the volume of water it holds is very small so good idea just to run water into them every so often

My shower has an air/water trap but what about sink drains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cedros said:

Tracked down someone who knows the property apparently the septic tank was never been pumped out. The place is about 30 years old.

Septic tanks need to pumped if they are full. The number of years is immaterial. A properly functioning septic system that is the right size for the number of people using it may never need to be pumped out. Mine is 13 years old and has never required pumping.

Anyone building a place with a private septic should route the grey water into the gardens, rather than the septic. The less water that goes into a septic system, the better it functions. Ideally, only the toilets should be routed into it.

And if you want to help it digest properly after dumping cloro or something down it, just flush some bits of raw chicken you cut off when cooking. You can also buy products which are designed for that purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...