Chapala.com Webboard

Skunk in our live trap !!!!

Mitch

Wish I had a suggestion but skunks are night critters and squirrels are day critters. Best to bring in your trap at night. My neighbor left a trap out at night sometimes and he got a skunk, armadillo and raccoon. He threw a sheet over the trap and opened the door and let the skunk go. 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, Mitch said:

Our gardener just took it up the Libramiento on his motorcycle a few clicks and released it.

That was a cruel thing to do. They are very social and live in family groups, sharing a burrow with up to 7 other skunks.

They are harmless little creatures. There was no need to displace it from its habitat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

That was a cruel thing to do. They are very social and live in family groups, sharing a burrow with up to 7 other skunks.

They are harmless little creatures. There was no need to displace it from its habitat.

Nothing cruel about an act of kindness. Harmless if you enjoy smelling like one when sprayed-eh!

pedro kertesz

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Nothing cruel about an act of kindness. Harmless if you enjoy smelling like one when sprayed-eh!

It is not kind to move it to some new territory. 

Those little skunks have been around my place for years. 2 of them hide out behind a potted plant at night and run upon the terrace to grab a piece of dog kibble and then rush back down to chew it up, where I can hear them chattering away to each other. They have never sprayed. It's only their defense mechanism if they feel threatened. Don't threaten them and they don't spray.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

It is not kind to move it to some new territory. 

Those little skunks have been around my place for years. 2 of them hide out behind a potted plant at night and run upon the terrace to grab a piece of dog kibble and then rush back down to chew it up, where I can hear them chattering away to each other. They have never sprayed. It's only their defense mechanism if they feel threatened. Don't threaten them and they don't spray.

May the stink be with you.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, happyjillin said:

May the stink be with you.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

The little civet skunks here do smell like skunk when they spray, but it's much less pungent than the big skunks up north, and dissipates quickly. The only time one of them sprayed was when he somehow found his way into the bathroom and I surprised him in there and scared him. The smell was gone within an hour. 

I love watching the little guys run up on my terrace after dark to steal the dog kibble. My dog and cat won't go near them, they just lay there and watch like I do.

6 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Just be grateful that Pedro is not showing pictures of how to remove the scent glands, skin and clean the carcass, then roast over a Weber grill! Hmmmm, varmint cooking 101.

You really thrive on google,Gary so I'm going to let you post all about how to prepare and cook a skunk. There are even videos,a thing that you like to post a lot.

18 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The little civet skunks here do smell like skunk when they spray, but it's much less pungent than the big skunks up north, and dissipates quickly. The only time one of them sprayed was when he somehow found his way into the bathroom and I surprised him in there and scared him. The smell was gone within an hour. 

I love watching the little guys run up on my terrace after dark to steal the dog kibble. My dog and cat won't go near them, they just lay there and watch like I do.

You clearly have a different species of skunk than we have here at Lakeside. One of our dogs chased one and got skunked. I bathed her in tomato juice several times to get the smell out. And the odor lasted a lot longer than an hour.

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

You clearly have a different species of skunk than we have here at Lakeside. One of our dogs chased one and got skunked. I bathed her in tomato juice several times to get the smell out. And the odor lasted a lot longer than an hour.

I think we have the same species- called a civet skunk, or Western spotted skunk, and several other common names. They're only about 5 inches long. 

It may very well be that if they spray directly onto a dog's fur, that it could take a lot more time to dissipate and require multiple bathings, as compared to just spraying into the air. I have just not found their scent to be as eye-wateringly pungent as the large skunks endemic to the US and Canada.