Chapala.com Webboard

inflatable dog cone?

One of my dogs goes into a severe slump mentally when he has to wear the regular cone.  We actually have to take it off and keep watch on him instead.

Even though we take it off for eating, his state of mind is so blah, that he will walk away from the food.   It's weird.  The down mood goes on for hours even if I don't put it back on.  Must feel like some sort of punishment. he sits there with his head up high and won't even lay down when it is on.

If anyone had a loaner inflatable for a few days, that would be appreciated.  I would sure love a break from watching and reprimanding. him during our waking hours.

I have a new one due to arrive by this Sunday.  Even a few days of having this as a loaner would be amazing in the meantime.

I have had pretty good luck using a folded up bath towel and a band of fairly wide elastic. There are several YouTubes showing how. One dog decided it was a fashion statement and went around showing it off. The other dog was fine until a neighbor laughed at him. Then he rolled around until it came off and wouldn't wear it. Might be worth a try.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I have had pretty good luck using a folded up bath towel and a band of fairly wide elastic. There are several YouTubes showing how. One dog decided it was a fashion statement and went around showing it off. The other dog was fine until a neighbor laughed at him. Then he rolled around until it came off and wouldn't wear it. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the idea, MtnMama!!! I will try that until the amazon one arrives.  Still open to a loaner lol... 

Whatcha doin' wit that towel mom?  

IMG_3919.thumb.jpeg.4afea48f9df98db1b092be77cc6c8dc9.jpeg

17 hours ago, MexLuis said:

One of my dogs goes into a severe slump mentally when he has to wear the regular cone.  We actually have to take it off and keep watch on him instead.

The only time my dog ever was supposed to wear a cone was when she was young and got spayed. I had to take it off her immediately because the instant I put it on her she started leaping around, hitting it against the wall, trying to get it off- exactly what she wasn't supposed to do- I was supposed to keep her calm after the surgery.

So I removed it and in fact, she never fussed with the stitches or incision area at all. 

What behavior are you trying to curb??  Biting itself, rubbing against things??  

One of ours developed skin issues on her back...she'd rub against things to scratch it, made it bleed, etc.  

We put a T-shirt on her....front legs thru the armholes.  She stopped rubbing against the wall, fireplace, etc. 

Once it cleared up we stopped using the T-shirt.  

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

What behavior are you trying to curb??  Biting itself, rubbing against things??  

One of ours developed skin issues on her back...she'd rub against things to scratch it, made it bleed, etc.  

We put a T-shirt on her....front legs thru the armholes.  She stopped rubbing against the wall, fireplace, etc. 

Once it cleared up we stopped using the T-shirt.  

I do not want him licking back paws while they heal, have spray solution on them.

He was on an antibiotic, and then the rains came... triggering a yeast issue with paws.

I am about to head NOB, and then I will switch him over to starch free raw feeding, and do a "Yeasty Beast Protocol" (from Adored Beast Apothecary online).

The vet here gave a spray to use, and hopefully that will help him, if he can just leave the paws alone.

He is sneaky... waits till we are not looking or are sleeping!

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Velcro. And I think two travel neck piilows would be in order for that size of dog. Giant Schnauzer?

He has a wider neck than me and my travel pillow is kinda tight, but will test it out.  That is a good idea.

65 pound Portuguese Water Dog.  They are very sneaky, and wait till you are not looking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MexLuis said:

He was on an antibiotic, and then the rains came... triggering a yeast issue with paws.

I've had the same paw chewing issues with my dog- she actually hates water, but I live in the countryside and she's an outdoor dog. So her paws are always damp in the rainy season. 

18 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I've had the same paw chewing issues with my dog- she actually hates water, but I live in the countryside and she's an outdoor dog. So her paws are always damp in the rainy season. 

Yeah the rain plus other factors like yeast (for my dog) are the perfect paw storm.

I plan to do a Yeast Protocol and other diet changes after our move.

1 hour ago, MexLuis said:

Update... no longer need loaner cone... I see on Amazon the truck is moving 5 stops away. 

It has been stalled at 5 stops away, only in Mexico would the delivery guy be stopped that long... hmmm rest?  Sleeping? ja ja ja

Siesta o lonche. 

• Haha 1