Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Want to learn more about climate change in Mexico?


MtnMama
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/28/2021 at 4:48 AM, dcstroker said:

Oh, and the oil and gas industries and the coal mining companies don't have a vested interest in making sure that we believe it's a fraud? The U.S. could be leading the world in renewable energy and providing jobs for those that have lost theirs in the rapidly declining coal mines but I guess it's better to just keep giving the billionaire owners tax breaks so they can help fund their favorite politician.

And what energy do you suggest ?--it's already shown renewables can't cut it !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bobby brown said:

And what energy do you suggest ?--it's already shown renewables can't cut it !

They can't "cut it" as you say right now because there's too much opposition to trying to develop alternative energy to it's full potential. From those on the right who think it's some kind of socialist or communist plot to the previously mentioned billionaires who have a vested interest in seeing it fail.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

They can't "cut it" as you say right now because there's too much opposition to trying to develop alternative energy to it's full potential. From those on the right who think it's some kind of socialist or communist plot to the previously mentioned billionaires who have a vested interest in seeing it fail.

It is not a right-left question. It is a right-wrong question.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dcstroker said:

They can't "cut it" as you say right now because there's too much opposition to trying to develop alternative energy to it's full potential. From those on the right who think it's some kind of socialist or communist plot to the previously mentioned billionaires who have a vested interest in seeing it fail.

you are right- the vested will fail--from my history---the carburator eventually gave way to injectors--we must just be patient --HA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HMMMM Wind and sun are free once you have the infrastructure in place. Then it takes maintenance but no expensive digging up more. We have reached peak oil so it will only cost more in the future. Same with natural gas - plus fracking pollutes the water and causes earthquakes. It has been cheaper to build new wind farms than new coal plants for over 15 years. According to Dr Aiken, large electric companies have been moving to alternative energy sources at ever increasing numbers because it is cheaper and more dependable.

The current administration suggests that manufacturing of solar panels and wind turbines be brought back to the US to provide safer, cleaner jobs as we transition to alternative energy. The times they are a changin'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Electric companies have been moving to wind and solar for one main reason: Subsidies. Otherwise it is not cheaper. Wind turbines kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year and if you live anywhere close to a turbine the noise and vibrations make your life hell. The cost of making solar cells is very high, it uses a bunch of carbon fuel to do and is not yet cost effective unless subsidized. You cannot decide to implement such transformation by an arbitrary date when the technology is not yet there. Instead of vilifying coal. oil and gas people should be so thankful for the billions of people those fuels have lifted out of stone age existence.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Electric companies have been moving to wind and solar for one main reason: Subsidies. Otherwise it is not cheaper. Wind turbines kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year and if you live anywhere close to a turbine the noise and vibrations make your life hell. The cost of making solar cells is very high, it uses a bunch of carbon fuel to do and is not yet cost effective unless subsidized. You cannot decide to implement such transformation by an arbitrary date when the technology is not yet there. Instead of vilifying coal. oil and gas people should be so thankful for the billions of people those fuels have lifted out of stone age existence.

you are right; the NIMBS are all for it as long it does not affect them---HA

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Electric companies have been moving to wind and solar for one main reason: Subsidies. Otherwise it is not cheaper. Wind turbines kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year and if you live anywhere close to a turbine the noise and vibrations make your life hell. The cost of making solar cells is very high, it uses a bunch of carbon fuel to do and is not yet cost effective unless subsidized. You cannot decide to implement such transformation by an arbitrary date when the technology is not yet there. Instead of vilifying coal. oil and gas people should be so thankful for the billions of people those fuels have lifted out of stone age existence.

They kill hundreds of thousands of bats too.

joke wind turbine.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's estimated that window strikes kill between 97 million and 957 million a year. Cats kill over 500 million a year. Wind mills kill over 33,000. Maybe to  save the birds you should take the windows out of your house and get dogs to take care of the cats.

https://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hardly an expert, but my husband and I were members of the Colorado Renewable Energy Society starting back in the 90's until we moved to Mexico. We attended meetings, seminars, conventions...  I have continued to learn about alternative energy sources. 

Please stop using old outdated sources. Almost 20 years ago I attended an alternative energy fair held near Denver, and stood under one of the new technology wind turbines whirring away. I held a pleasant conversation with the sales rep. They have continued to improve.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

I am hardly an expert, but my husband and I were members of the Colorado Renewable Energy Society starting back in the 90's until we moved to Mexico. We attended meetings, seminars, conventions...  I have continued to learn about alternative energy sources. 

Please stop using old outdated sources. Almost 20 years ago I attended an alternative energy fair held near Denver, and stood under one of the new technology wind turbines whirring away. I held a pleasant conversation with the sales rep. They have continued to improve.

. While western countries are ramping up the alarmist rhetoric in the hope of extracting carbon-cutting pledges, and in the USA case is committed to eliminating emissions at almost any social and economic cost, China, Russia, India and others have made it quite clear that they are got going to be making their people poorer in the name of a greener future. There may be a climate ‘emergency’ or ‘crisis’ in the West; in the East there is a mere issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

China, Russia, India and others have made it quite clear that they are got going to be making their people poorer in the name of a greener future.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-climate-coal-emissions-cop26/2021/11/03/f32c1c9e-3642-11ec-9662-399cfa75efee_story.html

A novel way to reduce emissions? China tries confiscating coal from households.
By Eva Dou
Today at 2:00 a.m. EDT


On a crisp Saturday morning last month, men in the black jackets favored by local Chinese officials were going door to door.

They were checking to make sure villagers in Tangshan’s Fengrun district — one of China’s smoggiest spots — had quit burning coal for heat.

“We must ensure that ‘not one fire burns, not one wisp of smoke wafts, not one black speck remains,’ ” the Fengrun Economy and Environmental Bureau declared, according to an account of the operation it published.

After knocking on 596 doors, the officials had turned up nearly a ton of unprocessed coal and nine tons of briquettes, and warned residents of the steelmaking hub that burning coal was no longer allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, mudgirl said:

Gotta love the "windmills kill birds" excuse from the right wing. Meantime how many of them have cats? "Oh, but we never let the cat out of the house". I see. How about the animals that get killed to make your cat's food? Don't care about them?

Is this supposed to be a joke...if so not a very good one!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

In 2016 a bought some shares of TSLA. Back then people laughs at me. Now I am laughing all the way to the bank ☺️

Congratulations. By the way, what did you buy the stock for? And, what did you sell it for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was TSLA.MX so it was in pesos. But I cleared the equivalent of a little under a 1/2 million dollars (had a waited 6 months more it would have been around $800,000.00 ☹️). I now own shares of NIKOLA.MX. This one is different because I believe in the Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology as a way to move heavy trucks around. Am currently under water but I believe that by end of 2023 this stock will pop. ☺️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...