Chapala.com Webboard

Want to learn more about climate change in Mexico?

MtnMama

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Yes, but China's is DOUBLE the US!!!

The population of China is 1.4 billion. The population of the US is 330 million. The US is putting out 4 times the amount of carbon emissions per person than China is. 

Which is certainly not to excuse Chine, but the US is actually the larger polluter based on the size of the country and population.

It's your rebuttal that is irrelevant.

And yelling in all caps doesn't prove one's point.

Also, as you have been very vocal here on the past about your love of shopping at Walmart, I would assume you buy a great deal of products made in China, so yelling about China's emissions is the height of hypocrisy.

So you're saying that because China isn't in compliance, the rest of us shouldn't do anything???? Didn't your mother ever ask "If everyone else jumps off a bridge do you jump too?" 

And no I don't think any of you climate change deniers are smarter or wiser than tens of thousands of highly trained scientists all over the world. I think it is called being in denial. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

So you're saying that because China isn't in compliance, the rest of us shouldn't do anything???? Didn't your mother ever ask "If everyone else jumps off a bridge do you jump too?" 

And no I don't think any of you climate change deniers are smarter or wiser than tens of thousands of highly trained scientists all over the world. I think it is called being in denial. 

No I'm saying it will make no difference unless the biggest polluters in the world aren't on board.  Actually I think this is an exercise in futility all the way around without a concerted effort to stop AND reverse population growth, which is the driver behind the whole thing.

Let's face it, if the population of the world was no larger than when I was 20 (half of current) this climate concern would be a great deal less intense.  

I'm not sure who you are labeling deniers (damn that sounds like a religious slur) because anyone who doesn't understand that climate changes just isn't paying attention.  

My personal view is the collateral effects of too many people making and consuming too much stuff will get us far sooner than the actual climate effects we seem to be witnessing.

• Like 1

MC I certainly agree that one of the if not the biggest problem is the world population and what it takes to 'provide' for that, BUT....  do you have a thought of 'how to' that is workable and could be implemented that would slow down much less reverse population growth as you suggested? Short of a nuclear war?  To me that would be even more unobtainable than trying to curb greenhouse gas production which at least is technically possible. 

Either way it's going to be nearly impossible to achieve considering the players (or non-players), but maybe that is just an old man's view of things. 

Already there has been considerable progress on population control.  Same can't be said for climate control.  Let's face it, the rest of the world wants what the west, including us here, enjoys and they are going to go for it.  The sheer numbers will multiply the collateral damage very quickly.  Far more quickly than the climate will change but I doubt population can be reduced by peaceful means nearly fast enough to offset this.

Population pressure may lead to another big war.  Just hope it doesn't happen while I'm around.  The Chinese are looking more dangerous all the time.

I think we agree on your last sentence.  Glad to be old and not much longer here.  All we can do at this point is to try and teach the younger members of the family that the good times are winding down and they need to prepare for a world that is going to be a lot different than this one.\

A lot different.

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Already there has been considerable progress on population control.  Same can't be said for climate control.  Let's face it, the rest of the world wants what the west, including us here, enjoys and they are going to go for it.  The sheer numbers will multiply the collateral damage very quickly.  Far more quickly than the climate will change but I doubt population can be reduced by peaceful means nearly fast enough to offset this.

Population pressure may lead to another big war.  Just hope it doesn't happen while I'm around.  The Chinese are looking more dangerous all the time.

I think we agree on your last sentence.  Glad to be old and not much longer here.  All we can do at this point is to try and teach the younger members of the family that the good times are winding down and they need to prepare for a world that is going to be a lot different than this one.\

A lot different.

Sadly, you are correct. War drum beating seems to get louder every day. 😒 (Not to mention possible social unrest caused by run away inflation. Just ordered another washer and  dryer from Tio Sam. 26 % increase since same time last year for Buen Fin.)

"Tesla’s intent was to condense the energy trapped between the earth and its upper atmosphere and to transform it into an electric current. He pictured the sun as an immense ball of electricity, positively charged with a potential of some 200 billion volts. The earth, on the other hand, is charged with negative electricity. The tremendous electrical force between these two bodies constituted, at least in part, what he called cosmic energy. It varied from night to day and from season to season but it is always present."

• Like 1

What ever happened to the Zacua, the Mexican electric car that was supposed to be introduced at the end of 2017?

I could definitely see using a small electric car locally and adding solar panels sufficient for charging.  Except when traveling we rarely drive more than 20 miles per week.  Would be perfect for our local business.

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What ever happened to the Zacua, the Mexican electric car that was supposed to be introduced at the end of 2017?

I could definitely see using a small electric car locally and adding solar panels sufficient for charging.  Except when traveling we rarely drive more than 20 miles per week.  Would be perfect for our local business.

Golf carts would suffice for a significant number of people needs..We don't seem to see so many of them around these days..are they still available for rent?

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If the solar panels suffice, this would be a game-changer for sunny climes.

Jordan Pedenton discusses the COP26 summit and the horrible position liberals and environmentalists have put themselves in by pushing for more expensive renewable energy while claiming to care for the poor. He explains why their more expensive energy plans will cause electricity prices to skyrocket, hurting those most vulnerable, to include killing the birds. He suggests we follow China’s lead and invest in nuclear power to create as much cheap energy as possible which can mitigate the effects of climate change without sacrificing the poor birds. He explains the problems of sustainable development and why you should dismiss anyone who advocates for Net Zero.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ACD said:

Expensive for what they are?

I have an electric golf cart that I bought used pretty cheap years ago to run around town here in lower SAT. Recently I struck up a conversation with a couple in a fancy golf cart who pointed out a solar panel on it's roof!!! Who knew???

• Like 1

I bet that single solar panel doesn't do much to charge the golf cart batteries.

:) 

But I'm only guessing.

The COP26 conference itself is expected to reach the equivalent of  102,500 tons of carbon dioxide - roughly equivalent to the amount of CO2 emitted annually by 10,000 UK households.

Negotiations at the UN climate conference in Glasgow are expected to bleed over into the weekend, as countries craft a new draft agreement which - so far, includes softened language 'requesting' (but not 'urging') that nations come back to the drawing board in one year with better climate-action plans for 2030. nature.com describes the softened language as a "get-out clause."

The Volvo car brand will sign the Glasgow Declaration on the reduction of zero emission polluting cars. Likewise, they carried out their own study in which they compare their EV models with those of gasoline, noting that electric cars generate 70% more CO2 than an internal combustion engine car during manufacture.

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The Volvo car brand will sign the Glasgow Declaration on the reduction of zero emission polluting cars. Likewise, they carried out their own study in which they compare their EV models with those of gasoline, noting that electric cars generate 70% more CO2 than an internal combustion engine car during manufacture.

Yes I read the same article. The question should be how much CO2 is generated during the life time of the car (including manufacturing which take what maybe a day). It would be very interesting to compare the results EV versus ICE. (from memory is Volvo not owned by the Chinese ?).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Yes I read the same article. The question should be how much CO2 is generated during the life time of the car (including manufacturing which take what maybe a day). It would be very interesting to compare the results EV versus ICE. (from memory is Volvo not owned by the Chinese ?).

Yes Ford sold Volvo to Geely a Chinese company about 11 years ago.. Geely also owns about 10% of Daimler AG the maker of Mercedes, plus close to 50% of Lotus. 

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

It would be very interesting to compare the results EV versus ICE.

Yes!  That would be giving the whole story rather than just 'some' of it. Many things "cost" more in the beginning but over time come out better in the long term. That's the problem with saying something is X% worse than something else and letting it sit there as a negative when maybe in the long term it is really a positive.

• Thanks 2