Chapala.com Webboard

Want to learn more about climate change in Mexico?

MtnMama

Over the past 11,000 years you can see that the Earth's surface temperature has fluctuated significantly. Go back several hundred-thousand years and you will see even more so that there is a cyclical pattern in cooling and warming surface temperatures.

In more recent times, we can split time into periods of cool temperatures (glacials) where the average global surface temperature is below 15'C, and periods of warmth (interglacials) where the surface average is above this figure.

Sun spots indicate a period of greater solar activity, where the sun is emitting more energy as light or heat than usual. Over time periods of a hundred years or so with few sunspots (like the Little Ice Age) saw global temperatures decrease by around 2'C, yet the Medieval Warm Period coincided with greater sunspots.

Based on history what will happen in the future?

5.JPG

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

He isn't interested in learning. It's quite apparent from his posts, as well as the other cliimate change deniers, that their minds are closed. Their interest is on the economics, and not sacrificing any of their creature comforts, or making changes in their lifestyle, not the survival of life on this planet. 

Maybe they plan to take Elon Musk's SpaceX to populate another planet?  Don't forget the diapers!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/spacex-capsule-toilet-issues-mean-astronauts-will-return-earth-diapers-n1283393

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

And what changes have YOU made? Bet you don't ride on a burro to PV to do your shopping at Walmart,etc.-SNORK!

Did you actually read my post or just jump in with a knee jerk reaction? Because you don't seem to have understood at all.  I was talking about climate change deniers and what I see as their motives for their closed-minded stance. I'm not a climate change denier- I choose to listen to what the majority of the world's scientists are warning us about.

I didn't say I was some perfect person who doesn't add to the problem of climate change- we all do. But I acknowledge the issue as real and do try to do my bit to be as little a part of the problem as possible.

And I don't shop at Walmart, try not to buy things made in China, and in fact have a list of about 10-12 stops I make when I do go to PV once every 2 or 3 weeks. It takes me all day and I often get home after dark. It would be much less stressful for me to go once a week, only have to get half or a third of the stuff on my list done, but that would burn more gas and cause more pollution.

47 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Did you actually read my post or just jump in with a knee jerk reaction? Because you don't seem to have understood at all.  I was talking about climate change deniers and what I see as their motives for their closed-minded stance. I'm not a climate change denier- I choose to listen to what the majority of the world's scientists are warning us about.

I didn't say I was some perfect person who doesn't add to the problem of climate change- we all do. But I acknowledge the issue as real and do try to do my bit to be as little a part of the problem as possible.

And I don't shop at Walmart, try not to buy things made in China, and in fact have a list of about 10-12 stops I make when I do go to PV once every 2 or 3 weeks. It takes me all day and I often get home after dark. It would be much less stressful for me to go once a week, only have to get half or a third of the stuff on my list done, but that would burn more gas and cause more pollution.

I am truly and seriously amazed that you have that long a list or stops ........and can actually accomplish your goal. I am happy and satisfied and think that I have had a "good" day when I am able to accomplish 4/6 tasks, Good for you SuperLady..or should I be more correct and be gender neutral and say SuperPerson.

Maybe we should start a competition.. ...How many Tasks can you (or do you do) do in a day????

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I don't think that the "climate change deniers" that you refer to (count me in within context), deny that there is climate change...again, look at the 4+ BILLION year history of this planet!!! Just that all of the hysteria and saving a trip to Walmart is not going to make any difference. As I mentioned before, the US, Canada, the EU and other "developed" countries have implemented programs that have alleviated much of the "man made" problems. China emits more than HALF of the fusel fuel emissions and are building coal fired power plants at a record pace while the "developed" countries are closing them down. What is the UN doing about this? Why are not all the "woke" politicians screaming at the top of thier lungs for China, India and the other mass polluters to STOP!!!

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I don't think that the "climate change deniers" that you refer to (count me in within context), deny that there is climate change...again, look at the 4+ BILLION year history of this planet!!! Just that all of the hysteria and saving a trip to Walmart is not going to make any difference. As I mentioned before, the US, Canada, the EU and other "developed" countries have implemented programs that have alleviated much of the "man made" problems. China emits more than HALF of the fusel fuel emissions and are building coal fired power plants at a record pace while the "developed" countries are closing them down. What is the UN doing about this? Why are not all the "woke" politicians screaming at the top of thier lungs for China, India and the other mass polluters to STOP!!!

Climate Change is just another fraud to tax you to fix  a problem that doesn't exit- All is just another "RACKET; RACKET; RACKET"  - the world is just one sick joke after another !!!--Why should I believe ?--ain't nobody paying me !!- OH NO; just more stinking fingers in my pocket---HA

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I am truly and seriously amazed that you have that long a list or stops ........and can actually accomplish your goal. 

Thanks. I can assure you it isn't one of my favorite things in life 🙂

Want to hear something funny- I have had friends staying with me, people who have spent time living here before. I'll say, "You'll be on your own tomorrow- I have do a PV day."

They'll say, "Oh, I want to come with you."

"No, you really don't. I make a dozen stops, and don't have time to stop for lunch or anything- I just scarf something in the car while I'm driving. It really won't be a fun day." 

"No, really, I want to come along. I'd like to see all these places you shop for things. It'll be interesting to me."

So they insist, and then halfway through my running around, they're looking all dragged out, and say "Are you almost done? Can't we go sit down and have a beer somewhere? Can we go back to Sayulita soon?" 

"No."

• Like 1

Headline

Biden admin considering shutting down another pipeline, drawing criticism and dire warnings as winter nears

Jason Hayes, the director of environmental policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy said:

"It seems like the only nations that understand that we require reliable, affordable dispatchable energy is China and Russia. And they're the only ones that are producing energy and they're more than happy to hold that energy hostage for the rest of the world."

Let them huddle in thier homes wrapped in blankets...or better yet, spend the winters at beautiful Lakeside in Mexico...OH, I forgot, most people are not retired with pensions or have the means to do that....WHEN WILL THE MADDNESS STOP!!!

15 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Over the past 11,000 years you can see that the Earth's surface temperature has fluctuated significantly. Go back several hundred-thousand years and you will see even more so that there is a cyclical pattern in cooling and warming surface temperatures.

In more recent times, we can split time into periods of cool temperatures (glacials) where the average global surface temperature is below 15'C, and periods of warmth (interglacials) where the surface average is above this figure.

Sun spots indicate a period of greater solar activity, where the sun is emitting more energy as light or heat than usual. Over time periods of a hundred years or so with few sunspots (like the Little Ice Age) saw global temperatures decrease by around 2'C, yet the Medieval Warm Period coincided with greater sunspots.

Based on history what will happen in the future?

5.JPG

Well currently the human population of the earth is nearing 8 Billion so I would assume that this would have some impact on climate.

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Jason Hayes, the director of environmental policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy said:

The Mackinac Center was created with seed money from the Cornerstone Foundation, as well as $335,986 from various officials of Dow Corning and Dow Chemical. Their second-largest donor is Donors Capital Fund (DCF), which contributed at least $3,203,500 to the Mackinac Center between 1993 and 2013.

Donors Capital Fund and its sister organization, DonorsTrust have been described as the “dark money ATM of the conservative movement in the US.” They allow for anonymous donations, mostly from conservative individuals and foundations, to flow to organizations while hiding their identity through “donor advised funds.” [4], [5]

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Well currently the human population of the earth is nearing 8 Billion so I would assume that this would have some impact on climate.

One volcano VS 8 billion people     Volcano wins impact on climate for the year contest.

As volcanic eruptions produce ash and dust, when these particles rise high enough into the stratosphere they are spread around the Earth's atmosphere by strong winds. These particles increase albedo and reflect the sun's heat back into space. This can have a cooling effect upon the earth. The 1992 eruption of Mt Pinatubo (Philippines) caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.5'C.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RickS said:

Is your point that we should do nothing because a volcano might erupt?

My point is that the human population has not had as much historical effect on the change of climate as natural forces. And I question if that has actually changed.

Was the Roman climate optimum caused by people or natural events?

Was the Medieval warming caused by people or natural events? 

Was the little ice age between them caused by people or natural events?

Over time periods of a hundred years or so with few sunspots (like the Little Ice Age) saw global temperatures decrease by around 2'C, yet the Medieval Warm Period coincided with greater sunspots. 

If all the  "experts" (who have been very wrong for the last 40 years in their forecasts) had been alive in the year 1100 would they have told us that the global warming of the earth was caused by humans? 

6.JPG

Always interesting reports like:

This past year was the worst year since 1925 for tornados and climate change based on human causes is to blame.  I ask what was to blame in 1925?

The weather extremes in the US and Europe in the last year are a result of climate change caused by humans.  I ask what was the blame in 1941-1942 in Europe and in the US in 1816? 

Now the first cry seems to be it's us..  But it wasn't us then so so I ask.. what's changed? And why?

58 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

One volcano VS 8 billion people     Volcano wins impact on climate for the year contest.

As volcanic eruptions produce ash and dust, when these particles rise high enough into the stratosphere they are spread around the Earth's atmosphere by strong winds. These particles increase albedo and reflect the sun's heat back into space. This can have a cooling effect upon the earth. The 1992 eruption of Mt Pinatubo (Philippines) caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.5'C.

Well I still think its a good idea to try to keep our air breathable and our water clean between each volcano eruption.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

The Mackinac Center was created with seed money from the Cornerstone Foundation, as well as $335,986 from various officials of Dow Corning and Dow Chemical. Their second-largest donor is Donors Capital Fund (DCF), which contributed at least $3,203,500 to the Mackinac Center between 1993 and 2013.

Donors Capital Fund and its sister organization, DonorsTrust have been described as the “dark money ATM of the conservative movement in the US.” They allow for anonymous donations, mostly from conservative individuals and foundations, to flow to organizations while hiding their identity through “donor advised funds.” [4], [5]

Maybe you and those of your ilk want to go back to the Dark Age where kings and dictators ruled over the “masses”, but I, and I think most do not!!!

What this guy says, whose group you can read about below, is reality whether you want to hear it or not. His group is based in Michigan where this pipeline delivers fuel from Canada to heat their homes. YOU do not have to worry about heat, but millions of folks up there DO!!!  

Statement of purpose

The Mackinac Center for Public Policy is a nonprofit research and educational institute that advances the principles of free markets and limited government. Through our research and education programs, we challenge government overreach and advocate for free-market approaches to public policy that free people to realize their potential and their dreams.

¡¡¡BRAVO!!!

53 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Well I still think its a good idea to try to keep our air breathable and our water clean between each volcano eruption.

We all want clean air & water. 

The current climate change frenzy that is said to be caused by humans and is based on carbon dioxide and methane gas commonly included in the phrase greenhouse gases. .

It has nothing to do with "breathable air" or dirty air. Actually dirty air reflects back sunlight causing cooling. The air and water in first world countries is much "cleaner" now than it was 50 years ago.

50 years ago many scientific papers discussed the possibility of a new ice age at some point in the future, leading to some pretty sensational media coverage and dire predictions.

One of the sources of this idea may have been a 1971 paper by Stephen Schneider, then a climate researcher at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, US. Schneider’s paper suggested that the cooling effect of dirty air could outweigh the warming effect of carbon dioxide, potentially leading to an ice age if aerosol pollution quadrupled.

This scenario was seen as plausible by many other scientists, as at the time the planet had been cooling (see Global temperatures fell between 1940 and 1980). Furthermore, it had also become clear that the interglacial period we are in was lasting an unusually long time

20 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes the same NASA that was forecasting global cooling in 1971. Only time will tell about current predictions. Time showed they got it wrong once. 

Again history shows that nature has caused climate change swings greater than we are now seeing being blamed on us. 

According to the article posted by RickS, human activities is to blame. Also, studies made some 50 years ago may no longer be relevant to the current climate issues. 

33 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

According to the article posted by RickS, human activities is to blame. Also, studies made some 50 years ago may no longer be relevant to the current climate issues. 

50 years ago the US DID do something and most of the other "developed" countries followed. 

The enactment of the Clean Air Act of 1970 (1970 CAA) resulted in a major shift in the federal government's role in air pollution control. This legislation authorized the development of comprehensive federal and state regulations to limit emissions from both stationary (industrial) sources and mobile sources.

What was a result of the Clean Air Act?

For more than forty-five years the Clean Air Act has cut pollution as the U.S. economy has grown. ... Clean Air Act programs have lowered levels of six common pollutants -- particles, ozone, lead, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide -- as well as numerous toxic pollutants.

Why do not the "woke" crowd focus on the REAL culprit's...China, India, Russia and all of thier comrades who did not even bother to show up in Scotland for the Green Energy thing just completed. They are too busy creating oil and gas, building coal fired plants, and making money building windmills and solar panels for the "developed" countries who are already the much less polluted countries...UNBELIEAVABLE!!!  

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

NASA and many other studies said human activities were responsible 50 years ago as well... but with the opposite results... global cooling. They were wrong then. Are they right now?? only time will tell. 

Logic would dictate that natural causes have had far more effect on climate than humans over the course of history...