Chapala.com Webboard

Want to learn more about climate change in Mexico?

MtnMama

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

I now own shares of NIKOLA.MX. This one is different because I believe in the Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology as a way to move heavy trucks around. Am currently under water but I believe that by end of 2023 this stock will pop. ☺️

This is certainly not the forum to discuss stocks but this company's performance (NKLA) since inception appears dismal. Down 15% today alone to $13.00. Chasing a falling knife comes to mind. Best of luck on your investment.

image.png.2e4fcb9fac9543fa82247d82df17c253.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

This is certainly not the forum to discuss stocks but this company's performance (NKLA) since inception appears dismal. Down 15% today alone to $13.00. Chasing a falling knife comes to mind. Best of luck on your investment.

image.png.2e4fcb9fac9543fa82247d82df17c253.png

Yes, but it was also up yesterday by 22 %. Also, production will start in December with the EV day cab (produced both in Arizona and in Germany with their partner IVECO) and the FCEV day cab production will follow in 2023.  If you go back and look at TSLA chart, you will see the same wild swings. Watching that knife with both eyes ☺️  

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ACD said:

The entire “climate change” topic is a scam. In a rare moment of honesty, an IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) official said that climate change policy is an illusion. Ottmar Edenhofer, a former IPCC official, was quoted as saying, “One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. Instead, climate change policy is about how we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth.”

https://www.city-news.com/2020/04/11/climate-change-topic-is--for--real/

Okay, maybe it should be branded climate pollution. That last time I drove back from the north, which would have been in 2015, you could not even see Monterey from the bypass as it was engulfed in smog.😒 

11 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Okay, maybe it should be branded climate pollution. That last time I drove back from the north, which would have been in 2015, you could not even see Monterey from the bypass as it was engulfed in smog.😒 

I lived in the LA basin in the 70's and early 80's when the smog was unbearable. There were some changes made that did not effect the economy or lifestyle that cleaned it up and  going forward there were dramatic improvements that I think are still there today. If you dig deep you will be find the corruption, ignorance and downright criminal activity going on in what is now being called "CLIMATE CHANGE" !!!  

We are hastening our own extinction. Neither we animals, nor our crops, can adapt to a changed temperature range, or to a different composition of the air we breathe and the water we drink. Societal ignorance and disregard for these facts will be fatal to more than just humanity.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, gringohombre said:

If you dig deep you will be find the corruption, ignorance and downright criminal activity going on in what is now being called "CLIMATE CHANGE" !!!  

You are correct - the extractive industries have been lying and misrepresenting facts and bribing public officials and... for years. They stand to loose billions when alternative energy sources are adopted. 

I know Faux News and the boys tell you that the corruption is on the side of the tens of thousand climate change scientists and researchers all over the world. But think about it - they have little to loose - if they find they are wrong, they just move on and research something else. They don't have billions invested in outdated technologies. But they do have children and grandchildren and other people worldwide that they care about. 

• Thanks 4

How a d wnere is the base measurements taken and established,  the bottom of your garden with a thermometer bought from the local hardware store...just curious 

Talking about  Monterey,  it was bad in 1997/99 ti,e frame,  I think that region is in a valley and stuffers from inversion like LA

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

How a d wnere is the base measurements taken and established,  the bottom of your garden with a thermometer bought from the local hardware store...just curious 

Talking about  Monterey,  it was bad in 1997/99 ti,e frame,  I think that region is in a valley and stuffers from inversion like LA

Okay, back in 2006 which was my first trip to Mexico, we took a road trip to Mazamitla and then drove over the mountain and started to head down the other side. We stopped a restaurant in the pine forest which overlooked the valley below and had a beautiful view of the 2 Colima volcanos. 5 years ago i took a trip down memory lane . The restaurant was closed and you could no longer see the volcanos because of all the pollution caused by a large sugar can factory which bellowed out black smoke day and night.

Google…How was the Clean Air Act of 1970 successful?

The Clean Air Act was passed in 1970, tightening regulations in 1977 and making further amendments in 1990. Fifty years on, air quality in the United States has improved dramatically by controlling common pollutants such as sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) and placing restrictions on dangerous air toxics.

Google…How bad is the smog in China today?

Beijing's peak average daily AQI in 2020 reached 262, which the EPA considers very unhealthy. High levels of air pollution take a major toll on public health. A study by the Health Effects Institute found that unhealthy levels of PM2. 5 led to roughly 1.42 million premature deaths in China in 2019.

China’s carbon pollution now surpasses all developed countries combined.

What don’t the NEW GREEN DEAL $%&/()s understand about that??? Shutting down fuel pipelines in the US while Russia is allowed all they want! China is opening coal fired power plants at a record rate while the US is shutting them down! The US government is shutting down the natural gas industry that is proven to be one of the cleanest energy sources! What is going on???

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

Why don’t the wacky “WOKE” crowd concentrate their energy and venom on the REAL problem and leave hardworking, tax paying, law abiding citizens alone??? PLEEEEEZE!!!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Okay, back in 2006 which was my first trip to Mexico, we took a road trip to Mazamitla and then drove over the mountain and started to head down the other side. We stopped a restaurant in the pine forest which overlooked the valley below and had a beautiful view of the 2 Colima volcanos. 5 years ago i took a trip down memory lane . The restaurant was closed and you could no longer see the volcanos because of all the pollution caused by a large sugar can factory which bellowed out black smoke day and night.

Seriously that does not answer my question where,how and who takes this measurement? 

Well if it were that easy.  While not at all taking 'sides', the ONLY reason why goods are not produced in the US anymore is.... COST. Wages.  Greed. Just like the reason why so many US citizens retire in Mexico and other places with similarly low costs.

When one can build a widget using $5.00/day labor vs $35/hour labor, one migrates their production to the lessor cost place. Monterrey is basically a cesspool place because of all the cheap manufacturing.... without emissions laws.... of/for US goods there. Used to be a really nice valley with mountains all around until....

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well if it were that easy.  While not at all taking 'sides', the ONLY reason why goods are not produced in the US anymore is.... COST. Wages.  Greed. Just like the reason why so many US citizens retire in Mexico and other places with similarly low costs.

When one can build a widget using $5.00/day labor vs $35/hour labor, one migrates their production to the lessor cost place. Monterrey is basically a cesspool place because of all the cheap manufacturing.... without emissions laws.... of/for US goods there. Used to be a really nice valley with mountains all around until....

Again...lets go to Sn. Google: Why is air quality bad in Monterey California?

The biggest health threat from smoke comes from fine particles. ... Smoke transported from wildfires from as far away as Oregon can degrade air quality throughout Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz counties, causing the concentration of smoke to reach high levels of the Air Quality Index (AQI).

Having lived in California for a good part of my life before my move here 14 years ago, I have been sad to watch from afar its deterioration perpetuated by incredibly inept state government there. It's a fact that horrible forest management by those bunglers has caused this ongoing problem!!!  And regarding "Monterrey is basically a cesspool place because of all the cheap manufacturing.... without emissions laws.... of/for US goods there"...does not California have the highest minimum wage in the country at $14 per hour, and if emission laws are being broken why is not the state prosecuting that???
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Again...lets go to Sn. Google: Why is air quality bad in Monterey California?

The biggest health threat from smoke comes from fine particles. ... Smoke transported from wildfires from as far away as Oregon can degrade air quality throughout Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz counties, causing the concentration of smoke to reach high levels of the Air Quality Index (AQI).

Having lived in California for a good part of my life before my move here 14 years ago, I have been sad to watch from afar its deterioration perpetuated by incredibly inept state government there. It's a fact that horrible forest management by those bunglers has caused this ongoing problem!!!  And regarding "Monterrey is basically a cesspool place because of all the cheap manufacturing.... without emissions laws.... of/for US goods there"...does not California have the highest minimum wage in the country at $14 per hour, and if emission laws are being broken why is not the state prosecuting that???

Monterrey, Mexico !!!  :(

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Monterrey, Mexico !!!  :(

OK, maybe I was transposing the Monterey's, but someone else posted "Talking about  Monterey,  it was bad in 1997/99 ti,e frame,  I think that region is in a valley and stuffers from inversion like LA". Monterey/Monterrey, what the heck...I still made my point about the stupidity regarding the "Climate Change", "New Green Deal", and other hysterical "the sky is falling" proclamations and the obscene remedies they are trying to force on the rest of us!!!

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I still made my point about the stupidity regarding the "Climate Change", "New Green Deal", and other hysterical "the sky is falling" proclamations and the obscene remedies they are trying to force on the rest of us!!!

Did you watch the video? Where two internationally respected experts explained climate change and what we need to do. Do that and you will learn a lot, promise.

14 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Did you watch the video? Where two internationally respected experts explained climate change and what we need to do. Do that and you will learn a lot, promise.

Yes, and there are many more confirming that as all through history there has been "climate change", and although there might be a little human responsibility to this now, there is no need for panic and the drastic, costly remedies that some are proposing. Most of the "developed world" has controlled this, however others such as China have not, and thus this is where the bulk of any political and economic force should be applied. I really think that in the long run, if government would just get out of the way, human enterprise, and yes, Capitalism will solve this!!!   

You don't have a clue. Your "theories" are based completely on other people's older, washed-out, no-basis clawing in air. If we were to follow you, we would all be dead very soon. So-called "human enterprise" is contributing to this downfall of our planet, not solving it. What you are really saying is "let someone else take care of it, not me".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Climate quality needs to be improved period But various news sources and figures can be misleading on how we use them. Perception also plays a part on our decision making

For example whilst China and India have been heavily criticized, the actual numbers per capita shows that  Australia , Canada and the USA are the bad guys; 15.3, 14.2, 14.2 tons/capita (info ref Our World News) now in absolute numbers the guys with the cool burners will be the culprits, so if we wish to make the biggest impact go after the countries with the highest Absolute numbers, not the poor African countries where the guy is rubbing two sticks together

There is a similar relationship for Covid Deaths. For example MX 7.6%, CAD 1.7% , USA 1.6% per 100,000 population. So on the face of it the USA has done a significant better jog than has Mexico (ref John Hopkins), and if you are concerned about your health, where would you go?

14 hours ago, MtnMama said:

He isn't interested in learning. It's quite apparent from his posts, as well as the other cliimate change deniers, that their minds are closed. Their interest is on the economics, and not sacrificing any of their creature comforts, or making changes in their lifestyle, not the survival of life on this planet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

He isn't interested in learning. It's quite apparent from his posts, as well as the other cliimate change deniers, that their minds are closed. Their interest is on the economics, and not sacrificing any of their creature comforts, or making changes in their lifestyle, not the survival of life on this planet. 

And what changes have YOU made? Bet you don't ride on a burro to PV to do your shopping at Walmart,etc.-SNORK!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

And what changes have YOU made? Bet you don't ride on a burro to PV to do your shopping at Walmart,etc.-SNORK!

Or eat a pizza from a wood fired oven which emits far more in the same period as 25 cars. Burning wood releases more CO2 than gas, oil and even coal for the same amount of heat

A lot of cement to build the house? A single industry accounts for around 5 percent of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. It produces a material so ubiquitous it is nearly invisible: cement.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

With respect I know the climate is changing ( as it did after the industrial  revolution) and that we need to make changes to slow it down. Now the elephant in the room is how do you present a solution not to throw the economy into a free fall and cause people unrest etc. Having cleaner air at any cost is just not acceptable..period

If I promise to only drive my car every  other day..what will you do?