Chapala.com Webboard

I didn't order a side glass of water, butt

my ATV has been running poorly,  stalls, stutters, loses power, etc.

Took it to the mechanic.  He worked 15 minutes and found the problem. Fixed it in 30 seconds. Cost $50

Thanks for the water in the gasoline Pemex.

NO!!!!!  No way did I allow any way for water to get into the gas tank.

Normal questions...... Did you drive your ATV to the Pemex station & fill up there?  Or was there a container of some kind involved in a transfer of gas to your ATV? How long was your ATV  sitting without being used? If sitting for any length of time was your ATV tank full while not being used?

It is advised to keep airplane tanks full and boat tanks full when sitting for any length of time to prevent any water to condense and flow to the bottom. Airplanes even have a drain to check the bottom of the tanks for water before flight. 

If a Pemex here was dispensing gas with water you can bet there would be hundreds of vehicles with a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Normal questions...... Did you drive your ATV to the Pemex station & fill up there?  Or was there a container of some kind involved in a transfer of gas to your ATV? How long was your ATV  sitting without being used? If sitting for any length of time was your ATV tank full while not being used?

It is advised to keep airplane tanks full and boat tanks full when sitting for any length of time to prevent any water to condense and flow to the bottom. Airplanes even have a drain to check the bottom of the tanks for water before flight. 

If a Pemex here was dispensing gas with water you can bet there would be hundreds of vehicles with a problem. 

I use a plastic jug to store fuel, don't wait and go to a station.

I don't think Pemex would water down the gas, but maybe an individual station owner?

Stored in a small container that is not full to the top can result in condnsation of water accumulating, as suggested above. The vehicle tank also qualifies a a similar small container, which may only be used seasonally.

• Like 1

My cousin and her husband are snowbirds and have been stuck El Notre now for 2 winters. Just an aside, they wintered in Ajijic for a couple of years and not entirely happy until I convinced them of the glories of SAT 5 years ago. They leave thier car in my carport and it has worked out well and now will be back in about 2 weeks. They expressed concern since apparently the gas deteriorates over time and even though he had added a good amount of stabilizer as he does each year he was concerned. This is all new to me since I am not even close to being a mechanic. I talked to Armando, a real mechanic here, who has been caring for my 1982 Ford F150 pickup truck for my entire 14 years here full time. He told me that he did not think that there would be a problem but will add some "octane booster" just to make sure. Better than draining a full tank of gas! This is all new to me...who knew that gas deteriorates after time? Not sure if this was the OP's situation with old gas but all good information for us non-mechanic types!!! 

If you use gas with ethanol it happens and happens even more without an air tight seal on the tank and even more if you park the vehicle where temperature rise and fall especially when parked where sun can heat the tank then cooling at night sucks in moist air. The alcohol gets the gas to absorb water way faster than regular gas would. 

Solutions are a vehicle cover or park out of wind and changing temperatures. There's also don't let gas sit for extended periods. It can go bad.

Our car was unexpectedly parked outdoors at the Tucson airport for over a year (371 days to be exact!).  Tucson often hits triple digits in summer and can drop to the 20s in winter.   

Tank was full when we left it; no problems with the gas when we picked it up.  

7 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Our car was unexpectedly parked outdoors at the Tucson airport for over a year (371 days to be exact!).  Tucson often hits triple digits in summer and can drop to the 20s in winter.   

Tank was full when we left it; no problems with the gas when we picked it up.  

Yep the less air space the less moisture exposed tto the gas. Even oil absorbs moisture from only short trips not having an hour or more long trip in there once in awhile to cook it off. Small planes it's advised to top the tanks off when parking since the wings in the sun and metal going cooler from air blowing by all around the tanks does the get condensation in the gas. Every time before flying small planes you drain a little gas from the tank to get the water off the bottom. Like magic the water is there at the bottom of the fuel test cup. :) The military has a gas called Mogas I was told is gas with water in it and the gas has a milky white look. If it does have water in it it figures they add something like a lot of alcohol so the water stays suspended in the gas. Rambling again :) 

• Like 1