Chapala.com Webboard

Internet outages

Tingting

2 hours ago, Stream said:

In the US and probably the same in Mexico when the expansion of adding other service providers started those new companies were leasing line usage and bandwidth from the main companies lines. In the US that was AT&T till others could get city permissions to install their own lines when financially possible. So possibly when a company in your local is adding customers it's tying into a line leasers lines requiring some down time somewhere on the lines. Then there are the oops had to pull the plug to figure out which line is which in the jumble or a backhoe operator sneezed when digging :) 

Not to rain on satellite but clouds interfere with service.

I have NO idea what you're talking about BUT TotalPlay OWNS their fibre-optic lines which are not in any way connected to anyone's else's lines. In fact they refuse to use any existing stuff from the street, or inside your house, that might be part of TelMex or any cable company's stuff. How they got permission to use existing  poles I can't answer. But that's why is some cases they can't help.... if there are no available  lines installed, and/or no connections left (too many users already) within 500 m. from your house, you're out of luck.

7 hours ago, Natasha said:

I have all three and out phone clarity is far better than with TM, especially with calls to/from cell phones. We got the "basic" TV (80 channels) because only wanted Guad news and Mx City news.... and yes, they're only in Spanish.  But a friend has the "step " package with lots of English channels and she's very happy with that. Didn't need it, so didn't ask cost/details.

What if one only wants internet, is that possible? If so, would you have any idea of the cost? TIA

Tom Barsanti needs to update that information since no mention is made of TotalPlay which is, handsdown, the best service available.

Yes, you can get internet only with TotalPlay... click on the box you want ... like  "INTERNET" ... Internet, Television and Telephony Packages for Casa | Totalplay

I would never give up my Telmex landline. When the electricity is out, you can plug an old fashioned i.d.i.o.t phone directly into the jack and it works. Yes, I have a cell phone as well but like the back up.

• Like 1