Chapala.com Webboard

If you're interested in the coming weather patterns

NoVaDamer

NOAA, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, just identified that the Western Hemisphere is entering a La Niña current (the counterpart of the more famous el Niño) for the next several months.  We were n La Niña earlier this year, then the trend dissipated, and now it has strengthened. Here the map with the global effects:

Nina_winterandsummer_620.jpg

Lakeside is on the edge of the warm and dry region over central Mexico, so look for higher than usual temperatures and less rainfall.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

But it DOES get cold, and last few years have been a LOT colder than back in late '90s and early 2000's

I am NOT doubting this comment, but....  In general as we age, our bodies are less tolerant to the temperature range. Much more tolerant of a 'middle' range than the hot or cold. Also, and I doubt very seriously this applies to Natasha as she is not a 'new kid on the block', but when we first move to Lakeside the winters are pretty mild.... still 'shorts weather' for some (especially canucks, eh!).  BUT at the same time the Nationals and long-term-ers are bundled up with scarves. Fast forward a couple of years and guess who is now wearing warmer clothing and talking about hold cold it is these days?

So I wonder if it is really colder than in the late 90's/early 2000s.  Anyone have any.... data? 

Truthfully we haven't noticed it getting colder.  Seems there are always a few mildly chilly weeks around the first of the year.  Coming from a place where below freezing is common for 3-4 months, mostly at night, it is hard for me to call what we have here "cold."

We were talking with our visitor last night and I remarked that living here we have escaped winter for good.  And our shortest days are a lot longer as well.  What's not to like?

Definitely feel cold more than I used to.  

Late '90's thru 2009 house one block above Pemex in Ajijic.... outside thermometer (properly located) never got below 10C at night.... more often was 11-12-13C.  Last 3 -4 years in San Antonio (near plaza) have been down into 6-7 C.....     but also with increase on COLD winds due to change in descending cold fronts /this altitude as remarked on Guad news weather reports, especially very complete ones on Saturday mornings.

Yes, we're a little closer to the lake, and I do know  that can be part of it. (Experience of friends at lake front). No, no scientific data, but I sure need a lot more clothes in winter these days tho' right this minute I'm  overly warm in only a lightweight house dress and with all main floor windows open.  ¿Quien sabe?

• Like 1

The lake actually works as a heat sink and we find there is less temperature variation where we live than above the carretera.  This is particularly noticeable in May where it gets progressively cooler as I walk from the gym in Plaza B. to our house, a long block off the lake and down the hill.

We have had more cold fronts, that is true.  Had over 40 last year.  Good point.

One thing is certain about the weather in the Chapala basin...  Nothing is certain..... .sometimes it is warmer sometimes it is colder.... sometimes more rain sometimes less rain every year might be one or the other.  or both ...

and for many of us our memory will not coincide with the actual history

• Like 1

Not very scientific but I measure warm months by the number of nights I need to have the ceiling fans on in the evening and in the cold months the number of nights I have to have supplemental heating.

The last two winters I have not had to turn the heaters on at all and the spring fan days have always been about the same over the past ten years.

I'm happy.

SunFan