Chapala.com Webboard

Elastic Fitted Sheets

mcintlm

I have several sets of fitted sheets that have lost their elasticity and am looking for someone to sew new elastic into them. The sheets are King Size and are great except for the elastic. If you know of anyone in the Ajijic, San Antonio area who can do this for me please let me know. 

Elastic is not generally "sewn in" to a fitted sheet. There is a small hem in the bottom edge of the sheet that the elastic is pulled through. So it's just a matter of removing an inch or two of the hem stitching, pulling out the dead elastic, and working a new length of elastic through the hem by attaching it to a big safety pin, then sewing up the small opening that was made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Elastic is not generally "sewn in" to a fitted sheet. There is a small hem in the bottom edge of the sheet.... pulling out the dead elastic, and working a new length of elastic through the hem by attaching it to a big safety pin, .....

Hoo Nu ?????   Hems on all mine are WAY too small for any but the very thinnest  elastic I could buy at best..... and no way on earth a"big" safety pin could navigate.    that said, really appreciate this tip.... maybe an option in my case is turn up yet another wider hem............

nnaaahhhhh    lived this long with elastics shot, can keep on doing the same 🤣

Yes, the elastic is usually quite thin. I actually don't use a safety pin, though I have done in the past. Safety pins have a nasty way of popping open when trying to work them through the hem- then you have to pull it all out and start over. I use something called a bodkin- looks like a big needle, but without a point. Knitters use them to sew sleeves to the body of a sweater and such.

• 2 weeks later...