Chapala.com Webboard

Cohetes Riberas Now

After 10 years here with cohetes going off every few days, I`ve realized there is no point in asking "Why?".   Could be a birthday, another type of gathering, couple of guys sitting in their car late at night just setting them off, some guy down at the lake ripping a few or it could actually, as the cultural explanation goes, be a fiesta.   At first, I went crazy, asking everyone "Why?" and getting angry each time ("How dare they disrupt my peace?").  The Mexican always just shrugged their shoulders, like "yeah, so what, what can you do about it?".  Now, cohetes are just part of my landscape.  My aural mind has evolved.  But I don`t have dogs or cats so I don`t have that predicament and it must be pretty awful.  So, unless you want to do battle with the priests, and you know the cops won`t do anything and the neighbors won`t do anything, you`re going to have to find a solution for yourself and your dogs.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Been here in this house for five years now. Tonight was a first... and I hope the last.

It happened 2 years ago when the priest first arrived. Same dates. Then nothing last year, maybe because of covid. I was hoping it was the parishioners but I guess not.

There were a LOT less cohetes last year due to pandemic and the restrictions on church gatherings and processions. 

Street dogs, roof dogs in/near Seis Esquinas where cohetes are very popular, especially during December's Fiesta de Guadalupe, never flinch during cohete outbreaks.  Those asleep on sidewalks don't even wake up. 

• Like 2

Our dog was born in 2005, while we were living in Chapala, and is still with us 16.5 years later, in spite of her breed's expected lifespan of up to 16 years.  Perhaps it is due to her calm disposition and being born into a cohete environment, where she never flinched at the explosions. Some say that a dog mimics its master's reactions to such events.  I think that may be true, as those who complain about cohetes seem to have dogs who are also upset about them.   Cohetes are just another part of Mexico's culture, and expats should learn to accept that fact. Asi es la vida.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good training for when the Spanish church shows back up with their conquistadors using blunderbuss rifles spraying everyone. You'll be all peaceful and not so upset :) Actually could be the church way of semi reliving the events of conquest. 

Although it could be a celebration of persons with lots of friends.

Exploding cohetes are more like an invitation for you to join the fun with friends and to make new ones.  Everything from a family birthday party to a large religious fiesta, etc.  Everyone is welcome.

• Like 1

Normally my dogs don't react to the cohetes at all. These were very loud and right in front of my door which is several blocks away from the nearest Church. I also suspect that the timing of your dog's birth and when they were first exposed to cohetes may factor into the equation as well. After last nights performance, I don't believe there's an evil spirit within a mile in any direction. Cohetes are a pagan ritual that the Catholic Church adopted to get more converts. 

14 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Exploding cohetes are more like an invitation for you to join the fun with friends and to make new ones.  Everything from a family birthday party to a large religious fiesta, etc.  Everyone is welcome.

Excellent time to let the dog out to make friends and mellow out with the community. One problem might be a dog hasn't had a life staying in a house not mingling. Dogs like to show off their bark. It's part of a dogs life and their social interaction. Heck they'll bark when nothing is there when they are stir crazy wanting fun. People are the same way it seems :)

13 hours ago, sunshineydays said:

Where can I obtain some cohetes? Maybe the local priest? This may become fun. 

Yes, the local priest can help you in that regard. Let us know how it went.

20 hours ago, sunshineydays said:

Where can I obtain some cohetes? Maybe the local priest? This may become fun. 

There's a fireworks distributor on the east side of Guadalajara. Couldn't find it in a quick web search just now. Villages some more than others go for the big celebrations. I don't think it's only the church jumping in the game. Try asking one of the taxi service guys. Would think they get asked to drop by a good fireworks stand when foreigners take rides. 

Found one. Try asking. http://www.smpirotecnia.com.mx/venta-y-contacto.htm