Chapala.com Webboard

La Floresta (Club Nautica) High Rise To Be Shortened

Instead of 8 floors, it will be limited to 3 floors plus a mirador.   The previous administration was involved in getting the parties to settle this case. A big win for local environmentalists.  

Wonder what the new Presidente's views are on development?

From todays Guadalajara Reporter (please support them and buy a paper to read the Rest of The Story).  

Conflict over La Floresta high-rise settled

Published: 07 October 2021

Written by Dale Hoyt Palfrey

In an unprecedented decision on the future of the controversial condo tower under construction in La Floresta, the Club Náutico y Deportivo Ajijic has agreed to tear down the basic structure of the building’s top floors.

CONSTRUCTION OF THE HIGH-RISE BUILDING BEGAN IN 2016. LITIGATION WAS BASED ON CLAIMS THAT THE PLANS VIOLATED STATE AND MUNICIPAL BUILDING AND DEVELOPMENT CODES AS WELL AS LA FLORESTA HOA BYLAWS.

The prolonged legal dispute between the Asociación de Colonos de La Floresta and the Club was resolved with an agreement formalized by both parties and the Chapala municipal government on Wednesday, September 29. The high-rise apartment building in question is located on the grounds of the club located in lower La Floresta between Paseo de la Huerta and the lakefront.

The club owner intended to build what was originally described as a boutique hotel and later promoted as a residential complex comprising 30 condominium units in two towers.  Construction began in 2016, with a series of authorizations emitted by the municipal government dating as far back as 2012. The plans were modified several times, and finally scaled down to a single eight-story edifice.

All joking and well earned cynicism about our local government aside, this is a great win for the La Floresta association.  Through a number of leaders they simply did not give up this fight and stayed the course to victory.  This is a precedent that is going to help the entire area.

Nice going, La Floresta!  👍

Let me make a dire prediction. The developer will walk away from the project as the cost of the proposed changes are uneconomic and and in my opinion stupid. So the association may have won the battle but will be left with another  ugly monument. Let them continue to build out the project with some financial compensation to La Foresta HOA

I do not have a answer on how best to avoid these situations from getting started. Another example of irregularities is what the Raquet Club is fighting a new development above the club. I am sure others can identify questionable projects in their area's 

• Like 1

One question I have after reading the GDL Reporter article is whether or not it would allow the construction of a second building, as was the original plan, of the same reduced height on the property.  It would seem to me this would be a reasonable compromise and help prevent exactly what lakeside7 predicts.

I see nothing stupid about preventing the lake front being protected from a bunch of high rise construction.  Quite the contrary, having that happen here would totally ruin the character of the area and is stupid to permit, IMO.

Reported in El Informador

After "years of lawsuits and conflict" in Chapala, the City Council, the colonos association of Fraccionamiento la Floresta and the Club Náutico y Deportivo La Floresta signed an agreement to resolve the construction of a building.

The construction will be carried out at the facilities of the La Floresta Nautical and Sports Club and within the document it was agreed to reduce the number of levels that it will have , as well as the measures that will be taken to harmonize the works with the environment and ecology, actions that will be carried out looking for the benefit of both the subdivision and the municipality. 

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

One question I have after reading the GDL Reporter article is whether or not it would allow the construction of a second building, as was the original plan, of the same reduced height on the property.  It would seem to me this would be a reasonable compromise and help prevent exactly what lakeside7 predicts.

I see nothing stupid about preventing the lake front being protected from a bunch of high rise construction.  Quite the contrary, having that happen here would totally ruin the character of the area and is stupid to permit, IMO.

Whilst I respect your option MC...... frankly the area has lost its "Charm" (Virtue) a long time back

Let me also make another observation based on my experience of being a Board or Committee Member, on many groups which have many Mexicans members. It is very important for any "successful" consensus to be reached..THAT ALL PARTIES ARE SEEN AS WINNERS...nobody comes away a loser!!!. And the Spanish translation from the newspapers leaves a lot of ambiguity. We shall see, frankly if the price was "right" I think I would like to purchase a unit myself:rolleyes: 

If the powers that be in City Hall could only have a "master plan" carried out by professional engineers and not politicians of dubious motive's maybe the area could become truly magical and not a delusion

• Like 2

I have the answer - basement suites, build down with earthquake resistant, waterproof, concrete. I turned down a renovation of the Biltmore Hotel in Vancouver. They gutted the whole building, then dug six stories down for a carpark. That is one big hole, taking up one half of a city block. So it can be done, but suites would have no view. Would have to use cybervision

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I have the answer - basement suites, build down with earthquake resistant, waterproof, concrete. I turned down a renovation of the Biltmore Hotel in Vancouver. They gutted the whole building, then dug six stories down for a carpark. That is one big hole, taking up one half of a city block. So it can be done, but suites would have no view. Would have to use cybervision

I have had my doubts about the credibility of our Northern Neighbors............ but now you have confirmed my feelings,

20 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Let me make a dire prediction. The developer will walk away from the project as the cost of the proposed changes are uneconomic and and in my opinion stupid. So the association may have won the battle but will be left with another  ugly monument. Let them continue to build out the project with some financial compensation to La Foresta HOA

I do not have a answer on how best to avoid these situations from getting started. Another example of irregularities is what the Raquet Club is fighting a new development above the club. I am sure others can identify questionable projects in their area's 

What is being attempted at the Raquet Club is also  happening above Las Fuentes

14 hours ago, gringohombre said:

We actually have 2 Northern Neighbors...and what are the feelings that have been confirmed???

That Northern neighbours (note correct spelling) can have a weird sense of humour (note correct spelling) because of the influence of so many cultures all laughing together. In the U.S.A. (and France) Jerry Lewis slapstick  is king.

At least they would be able to list the units as waterfront, with an unobstructed view

With the way some generations are all TV or computer screen oriented plus the prepper attitude of survive the apocalypse I'm amazed some buildings haven't been built to have many floors below ground level. On a hillside it's doable with no sewage pumping involved. Would make a lot of skin cancer sufferers happy and keep the persons concerned about cluttered skylines happy too. Just rambling.