Chapala.com Webboard

wild mushroom source

happyjillin

The only source[s] I found were in Mexico City markets-darn! As an example, oyster 'rooms available here are commercial and tasteless,not at all what I used to forage in the wild. Can someone send me some sun or oven dried varieties-por favor. Of course I  will pay. Commercial champignon 'rooms are the only ones worth buying locally.

42 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Abastos in GDL will have many different types available. The market is many square blocks so it will take searching.

When I did my research they only had commercial. The vendor foragers were only in 1 or 2 markets in Mex city and none in Quadalajara.

19 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Do you have access to anything like this in Morelia?

I took that photo in Mexico City, last year or the year before.  Sorry, I meant to post that along with the photo.

Yes, during the rainy season--which is just ending here in this part of Michoacán--there are women who forage for mushrooms in the wooded areas around Pátzcuaro.  In the market there, I find heaps of beautiful chanterelles and a couple of other varieties of mushrooms.  And then *poof*, the rains end and so do the mushrooms, until the next year.  

These are some I bought over there:

Hongos Silvestres Mercado Santo Niño Morelia.jpg

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

I took that photo in Mexico City, last year or the year before.  Sorry, I meant to post that along with the photo.

Yes, during the rainy season--which is just ending here in this part of Michoacán--there are women who forage for mushrooms in the wooded areas around Pátzcuaro.  In the market there, I find heaps of beautiful chanterelles and a couple of other varieties of mushrooms.  And then *poof*, the rains end and so do the mushrooms, until the next year.  

These are some I bought over there:

Hongos Silvestres Mercado Santo Niño Morelia.jpg

I am soooo envious! Would you be so kind as to dry some and send them to me. I will pay of course.

1 hour ago, klm said:

I have some dried Shitake mushrooms that I would be happy to give you.  I am in Texas at the moment but will return to Ajijic Nov 10th.  PM me so we can connect.

Thanks for the offer but I am lusting for native Mexican wild picked mushrooms as per the fotos I posted.