Chapala.com Webboard

HSBC across from Walmart closed

HOPE not "forever"..... don't like them as a bank, but closest bank of any variety to our house for keeping some emergency funds (medical etc). Please nobody suggest CiBanco..... not a "real" bank and their ratings suck, nor are we interested in Multivalores, Intercam, or Actinver..

Yesterday was at the  one functioning ATM, and chatted briefly with a woman in line who was ahead of me.

She said that she had just read in "Forbes", that HSBC  was not going to be in Mexico any longer, and focus  in  Asia. 

I did not do any research to follow-up on this topic.   

HSBC Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company is selling it's banks in the US to concentrate on it's wealth management centers for high income customers. 

As for Mexico they have announced Mexico will become the eighth country, among which HSBC operates, to have a Global Service Center (GSC), which will allow the financial institution to operate internal services specialized 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the various regions where it has a presence. So it seems they want to grow in Mexico

Guess we must wait & see what happens locally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

HSBC Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company is selling it's banks in the US to concentrate on it's wealth management centers for high income customers. 

As for Mexico they have announced Mexico will become the eighth country, among which HSBC operates, to have a Global Service Center (GSC), which will allow the financial institution to operate internal services specialized 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the various regions where it has a presence. So it seems they want to grow in Mexico

That could be good.

11 minutes ago, Natasha said:

It would be nice if they had the courtesy to notify local clients.  Wait---- what am I saying??? This IS HSBC, one of the worst banks here in that aspect!🤪

I was with them briefly in  a Canadian branch after moving here and they weren't frank with me[to put it mildly] so back to Scotia I went. It cost me to leave the@$%&$. Run don't walk from the@%$&(^&(&.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I was with them briefly in  a Canadian branch after moving here and they weren't frank with me[to put it mildly] so back to Scotia I went.

If I were in Canada ( or going)  I'd open a Scotia account just for that purpose.... EXCEPT they don't have a Scotia/Inverlat branch out here, and I'm not willing to open an account in GUAD on this end.

6 minutes ago, Natasha said:

If I were in Canada ( or going)  I'd open a Scotia account just for that purpose.... EXCEPT they don't have a Scotia/Inverlat branch out here, and I'm not willing to open an account in GUAD on this end.

They are 2 separate entities,in any event. the MX is no longer called Scotia/Inverlat and that is who runs the ATM's here not Canada. 2 separate help lines as well. WE manage quite nicely with Scotiabank[Canada] and Intercam here and haven't found the need to use an ATM since we did that. I am waiting until the canbuck hits 16.50 to write a Scotia cheque for deposit into Intercam. It's at 16.38 right now and has been rising for about a week.

• Confused 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, Mostlylost said:

Good question. But with one ATM removed and the other not serviced this week my guess would be yes.. We will see  The HSBC website says it is open today. The phone is unanswered. 

The ATM that was still there was filled with money today about 10:30. I got 14, 000 out about 11:30 am and others got money before and after me.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, Mostlylost said:

The HSBC in Centro Laguna is closed. Sign in window says branch is closed. One of the ATM's is gone, the other has a sign no money. Only the ATM for managing a client's account seems to be in service. 

No it was open.

Good question. But with one ATM removed and the other not serviced this week my guess would be yes.. We will see  The HSBC website says it is open today. The phone is unanswered. 

You should not guess just go in.

Lots of misinformntion in this post. 

"HSBC serves customers worldwide from around 3,900 offices in 67 countries and territories in Europe, Asia, North and Latin America, and the Middle East and North Africa. With assets of US$2,492bn at 30 June 2017, HSBC is one of the world's largest banking and financial services organizations.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, Mostlylost said:

More misinformation here.

Some people just love to be the first to spread doom and gloom in this town.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cedros said:

More misinformation here.

"More misinformation here".

Sorry but 100% true. HSBC is selling it's banks in the USA. The Mexico to have an HSBC Global Service Center is 100% true. 

Wait & see is a comment is a logical statement when you see the branch missing an ATM, having an ATM with sign posted no money, and a hand written note in the window saying closed with no explanation. Very unusual for a bank.