Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Barking

Paula

Sadly a few dogs my neighbors own in one home have upset the applecart. Barking continually day and night. We have all spoken/written letters over many months but recently they have said we can move, the situation will stay the same. I am a single older one and have lived here 14 years but now I must find another one level casita because nothing can be done. I love dogs and cats but the continually barking has me and my neighbors going crazy.

If you have a quiet area and a one level casita for rent I would love to know. Many references, I am quiet. I need good internet. Much thanks for your  consideration.  jwk063@gmail.com 

A variation of the same trick is to put a pillow case over the box fan. The sound is like wind going through the trees. There are also disposable ear plugs, in wax or foam, up to noise cancelling headphones. I have also had silicone rubber earplugs made that use your ear channel as a mold. They are used by swimmers, but mine were meant to cut down noise.

Is anyone actually living at the house with the dogs? I mention this because we  once had a neighbor who had noisy dogs. He was a squatter and got a couple street dogs to gaurd the place ( from other squatters!) Luckily this was in a fracc, so they were able take action.

I agree with Shag. I would try white noise for awhile before considering packing up and moving.

1 hour ago, Shag said:

...weve always had a box fan on high  or mediam by our heads at night to "white noise" ....

I've had a couple of smart displays (one Lenovo/Google and one Amazon) and both have ambient noise machines with many choices of whatever type of noise is desired. Everything from white noise, grey noise, pink noise, surf, wind, crickets, crackling fire,....you name it. When my Lenovo crapped out I nearly panicked wondering how I would get through a few nights waiting for the replacement to arrive.

I gather that she's "had it" and wants to move to quiet place......so instead of suggesting ear plugs and such, it would probably fill her wish list best if someone knows of a rental she can move to. I'll suggest her going to Roma Rentals or another rental agency as one option. She sounds like an ideal tenant.

• Thanks 1

Quite a while ago Julie Hensley reported success using one of those bark suppressor devices that sends out a (to the dog) very uncomfortable high frequency sound when the barking starts.  They need a clear line of sight to the nuisance dogs so they may not work here.

Google "dog bark silencer" and read all the references there.  One may work for you and if it does, then let's see if we can figure out how to get one down here for you.

Here's one on Amazon that ships to Mexico.  Maybe if you and one or more of the neighbors got one of these it would put a stop to the nuisance.  

Screenshot (66).png

A Mexican of whom I know, fed up with a similar situation after speaking with and repeatedly warning the owners, poisoned the offending dogs to the relief of the other Mexican neighbors. Owners must be made responsible. Dogs will bark in proportion to the extent to which they are caged, gated, fenced, or chained. Street dogs, by contrast, are comparatively quiet.

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Quite a while ago Julie Hensley reported success using one of those bark suppressor devices that sends out a (to the dog) very uncomfortable high frequency sound when the barking starts.  They need a clear line of sight to the nuisance dogs so they may not work here.

These work well if you can direct them at roughly the dog's head height. Spraying water on the dog is also effective. Or getting the owner's phone number and having various neighbors call at all hours of the night, say: "Your dog is barking" and hang up. Sorry you will probably need to move.

10 hours ago, MtnMama said:

These work well if you can direct them at roughly the dog's head height. Spraying water on the dog is also effective. Or getting the owner's phone number and having various neighbors call at all hours of the night, say: "Your dog is barking" and hang up. .....

That actually worked for a friend with dogs in the yard backing on to HER back yard.  Owner had the nerve to state she didn't hear them from HER house becasue the other yard was long and deep, and the dogs were jumping up at my friend's rear wall.

Lakeside 7: PLEASE don't suggest poison.  Terrible death.... and it's not the dogs' fault, but their insensitive owners.

• Like 2

Poison will get you jail time and a fine. What you need is what I have called the "good nieghbor device". It is technically very easy to build. Mario of Ajijic Electronics could build one for you. It has a microphone, a decibel meter, and a large LED display. All sealed for outdoor use. It would be easy to to program with an inexpensive Raspberry Pi controller. If decibels increase past a certain stage, most barking dogs are in this illegal range, then it plays back an amplified sound of the same decibels, for a certain length of time. The choice of the digital playback is completely your choice and imagination. Remind the offenders what the federal mandated federal limits are, and then if they surpsss them the device will come into effect. This project could be a lot of fun. 

We went from living in a pastoral hobby farm in South Vancouver, to a beachfront condo in Puerto Vallarta, constant noise, to a house in Chapala Haciendas, with a lot of noise, to a small house in Chapala Haciendas, backing on a 70 hectare farm and forest, with one part time neighbor. Spooky Tranquil. So the answer is to keep looking. Just like when you were starting out. You rarely hit the perfect house or apartment or casita on the first pitch.