Chapala.com Webboard

Suggestions Care home for person of limited means

court0503

5 hours ago, court0503 said:

Looking for suggestions /personal experience for a care home for a friend with rapidly progressing dementia and no family. (Residente Permanente status) . Individual has a very Limited budget ..U.S. Social Security income only . No very serious medical conditions at this point but needs 24/7 oversight 

Hi! Call Evelin of the Casa Anastasia in riveras, she can help you're friend, they can make a good deal whit hem. 3312520663

Greetings 

Truthfully I think ex pats of limited means could be better served back in their own  country. Care for Dementia patients cost more because of extra attention etc. And lumping these people with our patients like the aforementioned places is not "fair" to the others. It's becoming a dream to think that Mexico provides "affordable " care for folks with minimum/ basic income,  regardless ex pats stay in your own country where people with no assets and only basic income can and will be taken care of. Question does your friend have any relatives? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Care for dementia patients does NOT cost more here than for similar care in the north, unless said person can fit into "low income" NOB categories AND can outlast the very long wait-list for those places.

That said, your friend might need someone experienced  from NOB to intercede in this case, because any care home worth being in cannot afford to keep an individual  with  dementia if that's all income the person has.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Truthfully I think ex pats of limited means could be better served back in their own  country. Care for Dementia patients cost more because of extra attention etc. And lumping these people with our patients like the aforementioned places is not "fair" to the others. It's becoming a dream to think that Mexico provides "affordable " care for folks with minimum/ basic income,  regardless ex pats stay in your own country where people with no assets and only basic income can and will be taken care of. Question does your friend have any relatives? 

Are you saying all "these people" have direct access to the insurance that covers this kind of major expense? And that the main requirement is to only have a minimum income? Wow, that's a new one on me.

• Like 2

There is one problem with the 'going north' scenario.... well maybe two. One is that maybe the person doesn't want or can't go north. It's not like one can just get in a car or on a plane and arrive somewhere to be taken care of.

The second is that long term care is NOT covered under any NOB insurance including Medicare.... So it would be Medicade right away IF a place could be found. AND it will be in a double or triple room with about 10 square feet with NO privacy. Just there babbling until one dies.

Mexico on the other had provides superior care for the elderly, in a more humanistic way. I've seen it first hand. 

• Like 5

A colleague of mine (a lawyer) was a volunteer guardian ad litem (appointed by local Court) for elderly persons who had no family, or no family nearby their elderly relative.  Almost all her cases were the elderly poor on Medicaid.  

She never had a problem finding a Medicaid bed for new patients or patients who 'lost' a bed in a facility due to hospitalizations.   Medicaid beds were not always found in the nearest facilities, sometimes she'd have to drive 20 miles to a facility with a Medicaid bed.    

Medicaid beds were sometimes in rather posh nursing homes; other times her cases were given beds in less than desirable facilities.  It was luck of the draw, though my friend was pretty savvy in getting her cases moved from facilities she either didn't care for or were a long drive, to better and closer facilities when beds opened up.

It's not as if all the elderly poor in bad health are living under bridges in the US.  Every elderly patient at a hospital is assigned some sort of social worker whose job it is it work with family if nursing care is needed post-hospitalization; they will assist in finding Medicaid beds.  If the person has no immediate family, the social worker will refer the case to a local court where a guardian will be appointed.  

While the care here in Mexico is more to my liking, in the US there is a safety net that does not exist here, to my knowledge.  Mexican culture assumes the family will care for their sick elderly.  

If the person being discussed cannot find a nursing home here that is willing to accept his total income for his lodging, care and medications, going NOB may be his best option.  Perhaps the OP, in addition to seeking a facility for his friend here, should also contact the local Agency on Aging where his friend would relocate to in the US and make inquiries.

I applaud the OP's stepping up to help his friend....buena suerte.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, court0503 said:

Home recommendations are most welcome… however well-intended general  commentary on the topic and judgements are simply not helpful at this point 

Court, your heart is obviously in the right place and you make a fair point, but please think about the community at large when they respond. It may not work for you, but it gives "food for thought" or ideas to others. Sadly, I've seen a lot of folks come down here based on outdated books or videos that tell them they can live like kings and queens on just dollars a day. Those recommendation usually don't mention the very real scenario your friend is now in. I wish I had a solution for you because you sound like a very caring friend and we all can use more of those. Please let us know what you find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reality of what your friend is facing would be grim anywhere. I think we all hope for a good ending without that happening.

There are some outdated notions about the economy that have lured some people to move here, but anyone who doesn't do enough research is bound to suffer the consequences.  It is, however, much less expensive to own property, dine out and generally live better on a limited budget here than in most places in the U.S.  The difference for those of us who lived in places like California is particularly noticeable.

• Like 3

I know this probably doesn't apply here. But Canada offers low income senior care. They purchase "beds" from private care homes and then subsidize the costs. They must allow for a genorous income per month. Canada also has subsidized poverty. Every eligible low income senior receives about $1,200 per month, but they must be in Canada at least six months a year. There is a lot of abuse of this system. People move to low income home countries and the Ministry does not have the funds to hire international sleuths.

It is definitely a difficult situation. As a last resort, you could try this place:

Casa de Ancianos Zaragoza 692, Barrio Guadalupe, Chapala

376-765-2497

It takes in the destitute, and I am sure the local population will be in the majority, and Spanish will be the language of day to day living/care.

I have no experience or first hand knowledge of this place, but it may be of help as you look for places.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, cstone said:

It is definitely a difficult situation. As a last resort, you could try this place:

Casa de Ancianos Zaragoza 692, Barrio Guadalupe, Chapala

376-765-2497

It takes in the destitute, and I am sure the local population will be in the majority, and Spanish will be the language of day to day living/care.

I have no experience or first hand knowledge of this place, but it may be of help as you look for places.

There used to be 3/4 casitas available that offered separate accommodation....... some of the inside rooms are small and 2 persons to a room.,