Chapala.com Webboard

need help with camera purchase

happyjillin

You want something with a glass lens, that zooms in and out. They are typically called SLR, single lens reflex. The lens is what costs the money. Then the digital back it attachs to. They are constantly upgrading features and today's SLR camera have a movie mode, as well as many presets, for closeups, night shots etc. I have a Nikon SLR which I have not upgraded other than increasing the capacity of data storage card. It takes great photos. Like I say, there is one market for the lens, and another market for the digital backs ( computers) The only other hint I can think of is to buy a polaroid filter lens. It makes the sky and water a brilliant blue, filters out sun glare and most importantly protects the lens from scratches and breakage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You want something with a glass lens, that zooms in and out. They are typically called SLR, single lens reflex. The lens is what costs the money. Then the digital back it attachs to. They are constantly upgrading features and today's SLR camera have a movie mode, as well as many presets, for closeups, night shots etc. I have a Nikon SLR which I have not upgraded other than increasing the capacity of data storage card. It takes great photos. Like I say, there is one market for the lens, and another market for the digital backs ( computers) The only other hint I can think of is to buy a polaroid filter lens. It makes the sky and water a brilliant blue, filters out sun glare and most importantly protects the lens from scratches and breakage.

Gracias. So far Canon EOS Rebel package looks good.

There are a lot of good point and shoot cameras available with decent megapixel quality, zoom and recording capabilities. I have a Panasonic Lumix for example that cost about $600 at the time that I've used on vacations when I don't want to carry around a DSLR body and multiple lenses. 

Once you get into a camera with separate body and lenses the cost of ownership rises drastically. A good glass lens can often cost more than the body. 

Start with a budget and find what you believe to be the best camera for the price. They'll all take good photos and videos. 

• Thanks 1

One other comment about cameras that might be of interest to you or others wanting to learn more. There is a great book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson that breaks down the components of photography allowing you to take better photos. It's basic information about the photographic triangle of aperture, shutter speed and light (ISO). It spans film and digital cameras. I was at a wedding a very long time ago and asked the photographer for a book recommendation. This book was his suggestion and I have to admit, a reread every so often is enlightening even when using a high tech mirrorless camera.

After being an amateur photographer for many years with my SLR, I finally bought a point and shoot.  It took pretty good photos but the :() proof way of changing the aperture or speed was clumsy, at best.  Several cameras down the road, I took some photos with my phone and was really surprised at the quality of the results.   I don't even want to tote around and point and shoot camera anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

After being an amateur photographer for many years with my SLR, I finally bought a point and shoot.  It took pretty good photos but the :() proof way of changing the aperture or speed was clumsy, at best.  Several cameras down the road, I took some photos with my phone and was really surprised at the quality of the results.   I don't even want to tote around and point and shoot camera anymore.

Agreed. The new phones take amazing photos no doubt. But if you want to catch a shot of a tennis ball at the point of impact wit the racquet you need a camera that can take multiple photos per second. If you want to take a photo of the stars you need to be able to open the shutter for 20 or 30 seconds. There are lots of situations where a point and shoot or DSLR is needed but if you're taking photos of people or places the phone works great. I use the iPhone pano a lot even though I have the big camera. You can take multiple photos and merge them in Photoshop but the iPhone is easier.

Avalanche Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana, iPhone pano. But in the end it was more impressive in person.

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.b2cf5ea820498a4bc31fabef1f7a9d0b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an online business wholesaling traditional Mexican arts and crafts and more. My artists and indigenous family groups that I work with have always had problems getting me quality product photos so have had, in many cases, had to do it myself. Early on there was film and then digital. My last camera, a high quality Canon digital crapped out about a year ago just about the time I had upgraded my cell phone to a Samsung Galaxy S8. I had always dissed phone cameras (a phone is a phone, a camera is a camera), but when I tried it I was shocked! I am getting the same or better quality for the stock shots that I am taking together with my Britex Pro Halo Soft Box lighting. Shooting outside, I am also equally impressed. So the moral is, maybe not up to the standards of top professional photographers, but the cameras on the more recent high end ceil phones are actually very good!!!

17 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Agreed. The new phones take amazing photos no doubt. But if you want to catch a shot of a tennis ball at the point of impact wit the racquet you need a camera that can take multiple photos per second. If you want to take a photo of the stars you need to be able to open the shutter for 20 or 30 seconds. There are lots of situations where a point and shoot or DSLR is needed but if you're taking photos of people or places the phone works great. I use the iPhone pano a lot even though I have the big camera. You can take multiple photos and merge them in Photoshop but the iPhone is easier.

Avalanche Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana, iPhone pano. But in the end it was more impressive in person.

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.b2cf5ea820498a4bc31fabef1f7a9d0b.JPG

Montana is a super state for views. Belt Butte summer storm from my cabin taken with my Spotmatic.

facebook 033.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, traderspoc said:

your cell phone may take better pictures then your separate digital camera.

yes if you go full professional and due this as a job, then get a very expensive other wise be surprised how god picture you get for  your cellphone

My cell is a flip and all I want from a cell is to make and get calls. I will happily continue to use a  real camera. Have been using a Canon pocket camera What I am buying is a huge upgrade. Might need help getting used to using something like that again. stopped using my Spotmatic in about 1995.

To get the most out of your DSLR, get Peterson's book. Other than that you can dial in lots of features and filters. Even sepia tone is available without a glass filter. Exposures and film speeds (digitally recreated) are the only mystery if you are not used to them. There are some add ons you are going to need, but they are not crazy expensive. You will need a padded camera bag, a 64 gigabyte memory card and a tripod for long exposures such as running water or nightime sky shots. You are a pretty creative guy and I think you will enjoy this new hobby especially in Mexico, possibly one of the most photogenic countries in the world. Be sensitive to the fact, though, that many Mexican people don't like you taking pictures of them, their elderly or their children. You can, however, buy a lens attachment which takes a picture 90 degrees away from where the camera is pointed. Also, if your photos are good enough to sell, then learn to take photos at the highest resolution possible, and look up a Mexican permission form to allow you to publish a photo or enter a competition.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

To get the most out of your DSLR, get Peterson's book. Other than that you can dial in lots of features and filters. Even sepia tone is available without a glass filter. Exposures and film speeds (digitally recreated) are the only mystery if you are not used to them. There are some add ons you are going to need, but they are not crazy expensive. You will need a padded camera bag, a 64 gigabyte memory card and a tripod for long exposures such as running water or nightime sky shots. You are a pretty creative guy and I think you will enjoy this new hobby especially in Mexico, possibly one of the most photogenic countries in the world. Be sensitive to the fact, though, that many Mexican people don't like you taking pictures of them, their elderly or their children. You can, however, buy a lens attachment which takes a picture 90 degrees away from where the camera is pointed. Also, if your photos are good enough to sell, then learn to take photos at the highest resolution possible, and look up a Mexican permission form to allow you to publish a photo or enter a competition.

Gracias.Everything you mention is part of the package and then some. Not new hobby[that's my '69 Spotmatic I posted[ plus accessories].I got a whole 50bucks for all that on ebay in '94. But it's been a while and this Canon will most likely have many diffs.

found a foto of the package

canon camera foto.jpg