Chapala.com Webboard

Noise from Jake Brakes

InChapala1

I'm looking to buy a house in or near San Antonio Tlayacapan, and I'm looking at houses in SAT village, La Floresta (eastern part, closer to SAT), and along the Libramiento. I've observed that homes on the mountain-side (north) of the Libramiento tend to get noise from heavy trucks using Jake Brakes (that "machine gun" or "jackhammer" noise). This seems to occur in the daytime, but I'm unsure how common at night. Generally, how early and how late does one hear Jake Brakes? Is it limited to business hours (8am to 6pm)? Is the noise less on the south-side of the Libramiento vs. the north-side? Can you hear Jake Brakes in La Floresta as well? Thanks.

Of course this depends on how far below the caretera you live. I have been in lower SAT for 13 years and never have heard that. I would suggest that if you have zeroed in on a house just spend some time camped outside at different periods of time. I do not think that it would be a problem a few blocks south.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Living anywhere from the west end of La Floresta to the east end of Riberas, you're going to hear jake brakes at night. Not enough to avoid living there, but the echoes reverberate widely at night.

Not very many private sector dump truck drivers do their thing at night. You must be think of when the major alleged improvements were going on and sometimes crews worked at night because there was less other traffic. No more all nighters here and I suspect that applies to the full length.

13 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Hardly. Just because you don't hear them.

San Antonio and Riberas are rife at various times with trucks at night as the rich and their contractors sneak in to deliver and remove all kinds of loads. Illegally. I don't know their schedules, and apparently they've stopped hanging out with you.

How can you possibly generalize such a large area of lakeside??? I am sure that 80% of folks who actually live in those areas would disagree with your assessment!!!   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know the OP isn't asking about our area, however,  we live in Brisas de Chapala and hear these brakes as early as 5:00 AM and as late as midnight,  7 nights a week.  We can only assume that some of these trucks will turn onto the libramiento and not go on into Chapala.   

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I know the OP isn't asking about our area, however,  we live in Brisas de Chapala and hear these brakes as early as 5:00 AM and as late as midnight,  7 nights a week.  We can only assume that some of these trucks will turn onto the libramiento and not go on into Chapala.   

In rereading the OP, my advise would be to stay very clear of the Libramiento. Also in my humble opinion anything North of the caretera is overpriced and also subject to more traffic noise because the noise vibration from the hillsides. So you are left with South of the caretera and in spite of a know-it-all here I can tell you that anything 2 blocks and more down towards the lake you will not be subject to noise from the highway. Again...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been our experience as well. Below, too the South is much quieter than above too the North

7 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

In rereading the OP, my advise would be to stay very clear of the Libramiento. Also in my humble opinion anything North of the caretera is overpriced and also subject to more traffic noise because the noise vibration from the hillsides. So you are left with South of the caretera and in spite of a know-it-all here I can tell you that anything 2 blocks and more down towards the lake you will not be subject to noise from the highway. Again...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like (no pun intended) south-side of the Carretera and possibly south-side of the Libramiento is quieter.

GringoHombre- Yes, I noticed north of the Carretera is pricier and interesting that despite the noise, houses there command higher prices.

Ferret- I'm assuming you are south of the Carretera?

23 hours ago, Ferret said:

I live in Riberas and I do not hear jake brakes. Ever. Not even during the day. Lots of other noises to keep you awake though so it's just easier to wear earplugs and never worry about it imho.

Then you are lucky, because regardless of those other guys basically calling me a liar, I do hear them. And just last week I was having breakfast near the highway in SAT and TWO 18-wheelers blatted their way along the carretera for at least 5 minutes. In the middle of the day. And they are not even allowed to be on the carretera.

• Thanks 1

Regardless where you are,( I live way up in the Racquet Club and can hear noise from the village etc) Any property on the North side of the highway is going to hear more noise than one on the South side...period.

As was suggested if you have a place in mind go and hang around that location and hear for your self the noise on a "normal" day. If your happy with that and the property is what you want buy it. Seriously your more likely to get pi**ed off and annoyed with your inconsiderate neighbors  barking dogs!!! (Not 1 but 4/6 )

There is no logic reason for truck drivers to be using Jake Brakes along the "level La Foresta strip", but Logic doesn't figure into the Mexican mind set. The acceleration  from the stop lights could be a problem.

I guess at this higher elevation "noise" every where is amplified. Good luck and spend more time at the location you have in mind, and talk with a neighbor

• Like 1

I live one block south of the carretera on a street that runs north/south. Why in the world anyone would use a jake brake on a flat road, I do not understand. On a downward hill, like the libramiento or even coming into Chapala until you get to Soriana, I get it.

Sound travels UP... that's why, when we lived in Riviera Alta, I could hear music from El Barco, announcements and music from the water park and jake brakes on the libramiento. On the flats in La Huerta and in Riberas, I hear nothing unless someone is having a party. YMMV

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I live one block south of the carretera on a street that runs north/south. Why in the world anyone would use a jake brake on a flat road, I do not understand.

Your guess is as good as mine. My basic presumption is that it is a bit of a power trip. However, I had a friend who was a trucker years ago and he said basically to save wear and tear on the exhaust brakes, which are pretty expensive, as are most big rig components.

La Floresta is beautiful.  I’m in lower SAT which is THE BEST neighborhood of all time but admittedly, it’s not for everyone.  We don’t have jake breaks but we do have our noise challenges but they’re more organic sounding than the highway.  I prefer south of the highway because it’s easier to get around than mountain side.  Again, La Floresta is lovely and quieter than SAT and beautiful wide streets.  Know that wherever you decide will be fine, home is where the heart is.  

3 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like (no pun intended) south-side of the Carretera and possibly south-side of the Libramiento is quieter.

GringoHombre- Yes, I noticed north of the Carretera is pricier and interesting that despite the noise, houses there command higher prices.

Ferret- I'm assuming you are south of the Carretera?

The Libramiento runs North to South so there is no south-side, only East or West, and I would not recommend anything in those areas, not only for the noise factor but also for ambiance and accessibility to restaurants, shopping and walking that I do in lower SAT daily. My strong recommendation, due to pre-move visits here and 13 year residency is anywhere 2 blocks below the caretera from East La Floresta through SAT and on to West Riberas. Of course I have my own prejudice that might be evident here. Lots of luck and WELCOME!!!