Chapala.com Webboard

800 numbers

cedros

A neighbour tells me that when you change the 800 number like above a message comes on that says you will have to pay for the call but I don't see how they could collect from you.

18 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Cedros,  the message states you will be charged at International rates.  That means your account will be charged at International rates.  Whenever we use those numbers our Telmex account reflects the additional charge.  I don't know what could be clearer than that.

I use Telcel not Telmex. It is not at all clear how an 800 number could charge my plan at Telcel.

29 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Cedros,  the message states you will be charged at International rates.  That means your account will be charged at International rates.  Whenever we use those numbers our Telmex account reflects the additional charge.  I don't know what could be clearer than that.

The message does not say that you will be charged at international rates. It is supposed to be free for me. I am phoning HSBC in Canada and they insist that I won't be charged.

I wonder. None of the answers have addressed this.

I have read here several times over the years that because the US or Canadian company or government agency is actually paying for the call and not the caller paying as in  - toll free 800 number - they will not accept calls from Mexico and on government websites and bank websites they state if the caller is out of the country call their non toll free number to be connected and post it. So that will be the correct way to get through. If your Mexican plan has long distance to the US and Canada then use that.

44 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The interesting thing is driving to Telcel to find out if it was free cost more than if you had just called and even had to pay 40 or 50 pesos. . 

I had to go to that area anyway and it isn't far. The call to Canada lasted for several hours and probably would have been more than 50 pesos.

53 minutes ago, cedros said:

I will go back to Telcel with a Mexican and double check.     Earlier post "The call to Canada lasted for several hours..." 

But you said you already made the call and it lasted several hours..... If your post was true then it will be a bit too late to check and find out you understood incorrectly  ... would it not?

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

But you said you already made the call and it lasted several hours..... If your post was true then it will be a bit too late to check and find out you understood incorrectly  ... would it not?

No, it is never too late for future reference obviously. I phone the HSBC 800  numbers now and again. Before I had a package at Telcel now I have a plan -billing may be different now.