Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Expat Liaison

HarryB

Several years ago the Garden Guild funded the rebuilding of the Ajijic Malecon Bridges. Today they need maintenance. In the picture, Tony Carreo who is unemployed is doing the work with Jose Belec. They will have a tip jar. Their drinks and meals are taken care of by Manix Restaurant. They will need cash for their families. You contribution will do more good than you can ever imagine.
Now to the materials. We need eight thousand pesos for the materials to keep these bridges in top shape. If you'd like to see these two bridges maintained, you can send dollars to ms1cb@yahoo.com at paypal. Always say sending money to a friend to avoid service charges. If you would like to contribute pesos, you can put it in an envelope marked MALECON and drop off at Manix restaurant, #57 Ocampo, Ajijic 331 065 0725.
Dad Harry has already contributed the first thousand pesos so we are off to a good start. We would like to have the work finished by wednesday so thank you all in advance!
Your friend Hector España Ramos
May be an image of one or more people and outdoors

UFn1qq9SajO.png

Although I have been up north for a couple of weeks or so I normally walk those two bridge a minimum of 40 - 50 times a week and have done so for more than ten years. It’s been about 3 years since they were restored….  Over the years between a dozen restaurants and numerous homes in Florida I have maintained and replaced  hundreds if not thousands of feet of 2x4 or 2x6 walkways ( a much worse climate for wood walkwayss) .  To the best of my recollection …( I will check tomorrow both over and under ) .they are in wonderful condition…all they need is a little sanding and a couple of coats of Johnson’s water sealer… so don’t be in such a hurry to send dollars just yet…sounds like a waste or a partial scam to me .

I don't think it's a scam BUT they certainly were rebuilt three years ago... and the benches. This wood should be maintained ANNUALLY. Somebody is not playing fair and I would say that it's negligence on the part of the government. A little maintenance goes a LONG way and that applies to a LOT of things from potholes in the streets, fixing traffic lights when they go out to watering and weeding the planters along the bicycle path. I don't mind giving but the constant hand stretched out is irritating. YMMV.

• Like 4

I would be glad to do the work myself and pay for the materials on the two bridges…as for the benches..of which there are probably well over 50 … less than a dozen need repairs..however they could all use a little stain or paint annually which they don’t get . If any money is contributed it should probably be spent on trimming the queen palms which are in terrible condition.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

I don't think it's a scam BUT they certainly were rebuilt three years ago... and the benches. This wood should be maintained ANNUALLY. Somebody is not playing fair and I would say that it's negligence on the part of the government. A little maintenance goes a LONG way and that applies to a LOT of things from potholes in the streets, fixing traffic lights when they go out to watering and weeding the planters along the bicycle path. I don't mind giving but the constant hand stretched out is irritating. YMMV.

But this is how "things" operate in  Mexico,  take CFE or Telmex, no preventive measures just wait till it breaks, then repair it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are right, Bob Howe was a big part of getting the benches on the malecon repaired and painted. I meant no disrespect to my friend!

The bridges were rebuilt after many years of neglect, by the Garden Guild.

I DONT GET INVOLVED IN SCAMS! I have been engaged in public service projects in Ajijic for many years which is well known!

The 8k pesos is the price for sand paper, stain and marine varnish. 

• Like 2

Ian, your expertise and effort are welcome . Why don't you start on the benches. We consulted an engineer whose career is paints and who knows the Rosa Morena wood used in the bridges. The Garden Guild spent 80k pesos for just the wood . The materials being used are as recommended by the engineer. 

Waiting for the government to do it was why the bridges were in danger of people going through 3 years ago. Good luck with that. I am sure the new regime will welcome your advice. I am a Mexican citizen and after several million pesos in projects they only listen to me if I am bringing something to the table. But I wish you well!

• Thanks 1

You misunderstood my comment. This govt attitude is not new with the benches and the bridges. It goes back decades and gets reinforced regularly. I don't expect them to do anything important, other than when diplomats come to town for a visit, or when there is a true disaster, as in the last time the park flooded at the malecon.

I have to apologize again to Bob Howe. He reminds me that the followers of his board did in fact contribute to the bridge project. My apology....

Sorry Bob, no slight intended! Just an old man's failing memory. You are of course invited to a celebratory foto wednesday. Time to follow.

• Like 1

What other materials are necessary …obviously non are being used… I gave 100 pesos myself for the labour, 

.my question is what was the 8000 pesos request actually for , obviously not for less than a gallon of sealer , two used brushes ,sandpaper and thinner…. that’s less than 2000 pesos…..just saying .

I saw the brushes …obvious ….I made a donation to the workers yesterday. Harry if you think an 8000 peso request for materials to varnish a 30 x 30 ft  wooden bridge…I have another bridge I’d like to sell you….no wonder the administration is always looking for money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1. The repaving of the Ajijic carretera is a federal project...no local input

2. This morning Hector, Bob Howe and I celebrated the completion of the malecon bridges maintenance. The Garden Guild was invited, but, cited Covid concerns. Fotos to follow.

3 The original wood was supplied by the Lakeside Garden Guild. Other materials were supplied by Inside Lakeside Hosted by Bob Howe, and Chapala Sunrise Rotary. The labor was supplied by the municipality. This to the best of my recollection and the sign. 

• Like 2