Chapala.com Webboard

Coffee pods

BeanRoy

23 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Steren has exactly the same kind of plastic packaging. It's where I usually get mine.

Still, that's hardly the point, is it? Some people got up in arms about a request for coffee pods. I challenge those people to show that they are 100% packaging free and 100% recyclable. What does their toilet paper come in? What is their toilet paper made of? How do they dispose of their garbage? What does their bacon come in? Their cereal? Their restaurant deliveries? Are they all on solar instead of electricity? Let's get serious.

Most people, no matter how environmentally conscious, are not able to be 100% packaging-free or 100% recyclable.

That isn't the point. We should try to mitigate excess garbage and waste as much as we can. When one has a choice between many ways of making a good cup of coffee that produce no garbage, and using a method that does, that says a lot about whether they care or not.

The Nespresso pods are recyclable. Unfortuantely I like African coffe, Indian coffee more than Mexican coffee so I buy Nespresso. and that is life some people like some things some like others. I have a foamer and drink espresso so my full cups are tiny. I use CHiapas coffee for cafe de olla though and I have some Chiapas coffee bused in the garden here.. Once a year I harvest the beans and wash them , dry them and roast them on the comal like my friends in Chiapas do and that is a royal pain.

My daughter uses an Aeropress. In addition to it not producing any waste, she sometimes suffers from stomach problems, and she's found that coffee made by other methods tend to hurt her stomach, but that one doesn't. 

It's also small and handy to take along when travelling, in case there's no decent way to make coffee where you''re staying, or on camping trips.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

When one has a choice between many ways of making a good cup of coffee that produce no garbage, and using a method that does, that says a lot about whether they care or not.

No, it really doesn't. And glass houses.

And this is exactly why it's almost pointless to ask for advice on this board. Look at all the pontification from holier-than-thous, making a public shaming ritual out of a simple question.

• Thanks 2

Why make life so difficult? The above AeroPress link gives a 10 step instruction to make a cup of coffee. My instruction is much more simple and a lot cheaper:

1...Stop by and visit my friend Francisco's coffee truck parked most days on the caretera just West of Farmecia Guadalajara and buy a 1 kilo bag of his famous Vera Cruz coffee beans for $210 pesos.

2...Go home and grind the appropriate amount in an electric grinder.

3...Put your choice of  1 - 10 cups of water into an electric coffee maker and place appropriate amount of ground coffee in paper filter on top of machine and turn ON. 

In about 10 minutes you will have an enjoyable cup or more of delicious coffee and a large supply of beans left over to enjoy over many more days and indeed weeks. I am continually amazed at how some make thier lives so difficult by following insane instructions to save the planet...follow the money...the planet will be here long after you are gone!!!

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Well, you seemed to be complaining about the small size of the check-out bags provided, which I don't know why anyone would do if they brought their own bags.

Even though I bring my own bags I don't like to have all kinds of items just thrown in those bags together.  It is nice to have small, perishable items separated in environmentally safe bags and then put in our bags.  Personal preference.

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Why make life so difficult? The above AeroPress link gives a 10 step instruction to make a cup of coffee. My instruction is much more simple and a lot cheaper:

1...Stop by and visit my friend Francisco's coffee truck parked most days on the caretera just West of Farmecia Guadalajara and buy a 1 kilo bag of his famous Vera Cruz coffee beans for $210 pesos.

3...Put your choice of  1 - 10 cups of water into an electric coffee maker and place appropriate amount of ground coffee in paper filter on top of machine and turn ON. 

In about 10 minutes you will have an enjoyable cup or more of delicious coffee and a large supply of beans left over to enjoy over many more days and indeed weeks. I am continually amazed at how some make thier lives so difficult by following insane instructions to save the planet...follow the money...the planet will be here long after you are gone!!!

I make my coffee with the Aeropress in less than 1 minute, however I have to wait for the water to reach temp which takes 2.5 minutes in the microwave. BTW, it is the only coffee I enjoy since it is the smoothest and silkiest favour of any coffee I have had the pleasure to drink.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gringohombre said:

In about 10 minutes you will have an enjoyable cup or more of delicious coffee and a large supply of beans left over to enjoy over many more days and indeed weeks. I am continually amazed at how some make thier lives so difficult by following insane instructions

Are you under the impression it takes longer than that to make coffee other ways? It doesn't. Takes me 6 minutes from grinding to drinking with my French Press. The Aeropress doesn't take any longer. But if people haven't used a certain appliance or tool before, yes, it's generally considered a good idea to read the instructions. I daresay your coffee machine would require someone reading the instructions if they'd never used one like that before.

48 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Yes, it is. The methodology is almost identical: pushing hot water through coffee grinds. Like I said. A refined French press. Go ahead, dispute the facts.

All coffee making pushes hot water through coffee grounds in one way or another, duh.

With an aeropress the water gets poured over the grounds and only the coffee you drink filters through into the conntainer below. The grounds stay in the top section. With a French press, the coffee grounds sit in the beaker and are pushed to the bottom by the plunger, but remain in the beaker you are pouring from.

Those are the facts. But I know you can't abide ever being wrong.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

All coffee making pushes hot water through coffee grounds in one way or another, duh.

With an aeropress the water gets poured over the grounds and only the coffee you drink filters through into the conntainer below. The grounds stay in the top section. With a French press, the coffee grounds sit in the beaker and are pushed to the bottom by the plunger, but remain in the beaker you are pouring from.

Those are the facts. But I know you can't abide ever being wrong.

Not hardly.  But you just couldn't resist making it personal, could you? Okay then:I used to think you knew what you were talking about, but you really don't.

A percolator boils water up to circlulate through the grinds.

A drip coffee maker simply drips.

A press presses.

I repeat: it's just a refined French press. You do understand the word refined, right?

5 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Not hardly.  But you just couldn't resist making it personal, could you? Okay then:I used to think you knew what you were talking about, but you really don't.

A percolator boils water up to circlulate through the grinds.

A drip coffee maker simply drips.

A press presses.

I repeat: it's just a refined French press. You do understand the word refined, right?

You just live to argue. Whether the hot water gets pushed up through the grounds or pushed down through them or dripped through is just semantics. It's all hot water running through coffee grounds.

• Like 1

I repeat:

In about 10 minutes you will have an enjoyable cup or more of delicious coffee and a large supply of beans left over to enjoy over many more days and indeed weeks.

Why do you need to push water through the coffee grounds or do any of those other extra activities. This is how it has been done for probably thousands of years...leave it alone...you cannot improve on perfection!!!

38 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I repeat:

In about 10 minutes you will have an enjoyable cup or more of delicious coffee and a large supply of beans left over to enjoy over many more days and indeed weeks.

Why do you need to push water through the coffee grounds or do any of those other extra activities. This is how it has been done for probably thousands of years...leave it alone...you cannot improve on perfection!!!

Exactely except we use reusable filter that came with the machine and get our beans from the Coffee Tree in Chapala.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

You just live to argue. Whether the hot water gets pushed up through the grounds or pushed down through them or dripped through is just semantics. It's all hot water running through coffee grounds.

Not hardly. You protest too much. And now, you've even changed your story.  Enjoy it. Get this: it's a refined French press. Talk about duh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

It is time to vote:

How is the water getting through the grounds:

1. Running

2. Seeping

3. Driiping

4. Oozing

5. Flowing

6. Flooding

7. Cascading

Flowing?

I put the pod in the machine and out comes a great cup of coffee. I empty and refill the pod in about 30 seconds. Simple single cup. 

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Flowing?

I put the pod in the machine and out comes a great cup of coffee. I empty and refill the pod in about 30 seconds. Simple single cup. 

Only one cup? My French Press makes 2 12 oz cups and I usually drink them both. I think it depends on your coffee drinking habit.