Chapala.com Webboard

Russian Piroshki in Ajijic

Bisbee Gal

Nice fluffy dough with good fillings.  Reasonably priced at 20p.  They are calling them Russian empanadas, but they are true piroshki.  

Located in Plaza Montana in Ajijic.  Northeast intersection of carretera and Calle Colon.  Russian family with Mom and her grown daughters in the kitchen.  

They have a take-away window where they also display some of their baked goods, which include the piroshki as well as savory and sweet pies.  Their inventory varies day to day and throughout the day.  No indoor seating, just a few tables in their 'courtyard' which is just a corner of the parking lot.  They sell on the Ajijic plaza on the weekends (weather permitting, they've been washed out for part of the past few weekends).  

They are fairly new and have changed their hours which are now:

Tuesday-Friday 12pm-7pm
Saturday, Sunday 10am-2pm at our bakery
(6pm-9pm at the plaza Ajijic)

From their FB page  https://www.facebook.com/rusiamor/

Delicious Russian empanadas for you!
We have different flavors:
- spinach and cheese
- mashed potatoes
- mushrooms
- ground beef
- rajas (chile poblano, corn, cheese)
- chicken liver pate
- eggplant and goat cheese
We sell sweet empanadas, apple pies, Russian cookies, pies for orders and many more things!

piroshki.jpg

piroshki1.jpg

de rusia con amor.jpg

• Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

They are calling them "empanadas" as well ...probably to attract the locals...so take your pick.

We tried the spinach/cheese and the ground beef ones for lunch today.  Good tasting; just be aware that it's fried food, leaving an oily residue on the paper bags.  I liked the spinach and cheese best. My spouse was happy with both kinds.

A very good value at 20 pesos each...more than enough for the two of us. We bought six and one was left for a later snack.  (Add 20 pesos for using the parking lot.)

• Like 1

I am in the area about once a month to get some meds at Farmacias Similares. Parking is tough, but go to one street above and something will open up. Know this spot well and on my next trip will be sure to stock up on a number of these "empanadas". Hopefully the will they will survive the freezer!!!  

6 hours ago, gringal said:

A very good value at 20 pesos each...more than enough for the two of us. We bought six and one was left for a later snack.  (Add 20 pesos for using the parking lot.)

Anne Dyer charged you for parking when you bought something in the place she rents out?  Outrageous.  

• Like 3

It wasn't exactly a choice.  When the woman came to the car while we were waiting for the food to finish, she asked for the 20 pesos for parking.  My husband explained that we were buying food from the place on the corner.  That didn;t matter.  And yes, it is outrageous, but that's the fee posted clearly and no exceptions are named.  ☹️

Hand held turnover thingys are common all over: empanadas, piroshki, Cornish pasties, Eastern European pierogi... In Boulder CO there was a Peruvian restaurant that sold something similar but I have forgotten the name. Something a worker could wrap up and take for lunch.

A new offering from De Rusa con Amor.  

New! Russian dish: dumplings ‘pilmeni’!

Now you can buy it from our bakery in frozen form.

They are very easy to cook: just throw them into boiling salted water and stir, wait for them to float up and cook for 3 minutes.

Flavors and prices:

- ground beef (250 pesos/ 1000g)

- mashed potatoes (200 pesos/ 1000g)

One kilogram is enough for 8-10 portions

You can buy less

pilmeni.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 6:05 AM, gringal said:

It wasn't exactly a choice.  When the woman came to the car while we were waiting for the food to finish, she asked for the 20 pesos for parking.  My husband explained that we were buying food from the place on the corner.  That didn;t matter.  And yes, it is outrageous, but that's the fee posted clearly and no exceptions are named.  ☹️

This was posted recently at the Rusia Con Amor FB page, 

Hi everyone!
We want to inform you that the parking close to our bakery is for free for our clients (if the reason of parking is buying from us)
If the owner of the building wants to take your money still, please ask for our help
  • Thanks 2