Chapala.com Webboard

is there a bakery?

happyjillin

We like French toast on sourdough bread, so we were getting it from the Swedish bakery in the Laguna mall, but alas, it was not only full of holes, but it had a very tough outer crust.  The Jewish Rye from Superlake I referred to earlier works much better.  Few holes and no tough crust!

53 minutes ago, gringal said:

Check our the Jewish Rye in SuperLake, made by the people from the deli across from Tabarka in Ajijic Centro.  The deli makes a lot of their own breads and buns used there, and this one is delivered daily for sale at Superlake.  Sells out fast.

It's from Emma's Deli.  You can phone or Whatsapp them to reserve loaves or bagels for pick up at their restaurant.  They were doing delivery service, but not sure if they still are now that they are stocking their baked goods in local stores.    

Best Reuben sandwiches (and bagels) in town!!

Contact info here, https://www.facebook.com/EmmasDeliAjijic

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

It's from Emma's Deli.  You can phone or Whatsapp them to reserve loaves or bagels for pick up at their restaurant.  They were doing delivery service, but not sure if they still are now that they are stocking their baked goods in local stores.    

Best Reuben sandwiches (and bagels) in town!!

Contact info here, https://www.facebook.com/EmmasDeliAjijic

Jewish Rye in Lake Chapala...love it!  Good as NYC?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Emmas bread was a huge disappointment. Only the flavour was there .As to the rest, crust and I use that term lightly and innards was the consistency of  Wonderbread. Ferret,no way it came even close to yitz's or any true rye for that matter like in TO, Montreal or my Polish bakery in Edmonton all of which would be similar to that found in New York.

So we tried  Safta and it was FANTASTIC TRUE RYE just like I have had since I was knee high to a grasshopper !!!!! whoppee!!!!!!

Fair enough. I get the half loaf of Emma's sliced at SuperLake. It's not mushy at all. However, I'm always up for a taste test and would like to know where Savta is located.

edited to add: found it. It's the bakery with the crappy cinnamon rolls down Encarnacion Rosas.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Fair enough. I get the half loaf of Emma's sliced at SuperLake. It's not mushy at all. However, I'm always up for a taste test and would like to know where Savta is located.

edited to add: found it. It's the bakery with the crappy cinnamon rolls down Encarnacion Rosas.

I said it compared to Wonderbread[soft] which means it wasn't like a true rye bread. You apparently have forgotten what you had in TO and no decent bakery there would try to pass that Emmas loaf of as Jewish rye. By the way unsliced bread keeps better and there ain't no huge skill involve in slicing it. I don't care about cinnamon rolls-haven't had a decent one here anyway. Had Safta with some excellent pastrami  and the ultimate test peanut butter and butter-yummy.

LOL! It all depends on what you're used to wherever you came from. I like Mom's cinnamon rolls not dry sugary cinnamon rolls. Even those from Mom's are not as gooey and deliciously decadent as the ones I used to get at the bottom of Blue Mountain at a home bakery that was only open on the weekends. There is no way on earth that I would have wanted to wash her pans... loads of buttery cinnamon in and on the soft dough. Sigh. It's amazing how much taste and smell is attached to good memories. Luckily there's something for everyone's taste buds here. Whatever turns your crank.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

LOL! It all depends on what you're used to wherever you came from. I like Mom's cinnamon rolls not dry sugary cinnamon rolls. Even those from Mom's are not as gooey and deliciously decadent as the ones I used to get at the bottom of Blue Mountain at a home bakery that was only open on the weekends. There is no way on earth that I would have wanted to wash her pans... loads of buttery cinnamon in and on the soft dough. Sigh. It's amazing how much taste and smell is attached to good memories. Luckily there's something for everyone's taste buds here. Whatever turns your crank.

The Savta cinnamon roll is not meant to be a traditional US style cinnamon roll.  For that try the ones made at Vicky’s.

• Like 2