Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico's Supreme Court rules that abortion is not a crime

Cronopio

On 9/11/2021 at 9:37 AM, gringal said:

Oh,  you mean that men have an inherent right to rule over women's choices?  When men can get pregnant, willingly or not, I'll buy your point.

OK, you lose. The new "Woke" culture says men CAN get pregnant...thus they have invented the term "birthing person". I kid you not. I guess tearing down statues became so yesterday.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

OK, you lose. The new "Woke" culture says men CAN get pregnant...thus they have invented the term "birthing person". I kid you not. I guess tearing down statues became so yesterday.

That chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy. Why don't you set it down and rest a bit. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mexicans are Caucasians.  Their ethnicity is commonly referred to as Hispanic.  In my mind, Hispanic means you are of Spain, Latino means you are of Italy.  On the US census there is no option for either Hispanic or Latino because neither is a race.  There are only 5 races in the world, Mexican is not one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Mexicans are Caucasians.  Their ethnicity is commonly referred to as Hispanic.  In my mind, Hispanic means you are of Spain, Latino means you are of Italy.  On the US census there is no option for either Hispanic or Latino because neither is a race.  There are only 5 races in the world, Mexican is not one.

Hispanic and Latino are often used interchangeably though they actually mean two different things. Hispanic refers to people who speak Spanish and/or are descended from Spanish-speaking populations, while Latino refers to people who are from or descended from people from Latin America.

Unlike Hispanic, which refers to language, Latino is a term that refers to geography. It is used to signify that a person is from or descended from people from Latin America. It is, in fact, a shortened form of the Spanish phrase latinoamericano — Latin American, in English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I understand clearly the above post and I agree.  Mexican-Americans typically will refer to themselves as Hispanic or Latino.  In my experience, here in Mexico, my Mexican friends refer to themselves as Mexican.  If I mention Hispanic or Latino, their reply usually is "those words are the language of the north."  Either way, more than one way to look at this. 

Yes this has gone off topic, but is a subject of interest to me as an aficionado of pre-Columbian history and of the Spanish Conquest. The book "The Conquest of New Spain" by Bernal Diaz, a soldier in Hernan Cortes' invasion army and written years after he returned to Spain is an acknowledged accurate first person account of this historical occasion. Yes, the Aztecs who had a stranglehold on the territory now known as México were not ideal stewards of the land (can you say human sacrifice?), so Cortes enlisted disgruntled tribes on his way to effect a complete conquest and takeover of an established nation with his tiny army and in so doing also effectively wiped out up to 90% of the native population with imported European diseases! Flash forward 500 years and yes, México has retrieved thier country back with a revolution, and the the demographics have radically changed with the majority now "mestizo" or somewhat mixed but a large percentage still of pure Spanish blood (can you say AMLO?). So if your Spanish ancestors named Fernandez immigrated to the US from México generations ago you can still list yourself as Hispanic on US government Census forms or other paperwork to qualify as a "minority" eligible for special "consideration" in government contracts and more. Yes. there was discrimination against "Mexicans", but how do you differentiate between the true indigenous and those just with a Spanish surname? Now, I completely understand African American, Native American and other historically discriminated upon "minorities", but do not understand the "Hispanic" depiction for these "considerations" since many are of pure Spanish blood whose ancestors were responsible for such destruction and death of a whole society. Spain is just one country that were responsible for this, as well as Portugal and others but why are Spanish last named people automatically considered a "minority" since many are of pure European background? I know that this is an extremely difficult subject but just want to put in my 2 peso opinion since I also have business relationships with some Maya groups and Co-Ops that we work with in Chiapas, Oaxaca and other indigenous areas that produce amazing embroidered clothing, bags and other products that we wholesale out of here. These are the true "disadvantaged" and "subjected" folks and the ones that deserve any help that we can provide.       

Tecnically Mexicans are caucasians if they have no indigeneous blood so good luck on the Spanish whiteness..  if they have indigenus blood then they are from mixed race ,hence la Raza.

If indigenous came from Asia then they are Asian and white.  As far as the white Spaniards they are mixed with Berberes and Arabs who are white but also mixed with blacks so good luck on the idea of a pure race..

• Like 2