Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico's Supreme Court rules that abortion is not a crime

Cronopio

and that laws criminalizing abortion are unconstitutional.

From the New York Times (wasn't a paywall for me) https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/world/americas/mexico-supreme-court-decriminalize-abortion.html

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that making abortion a crime was unconstitutional, setting a precedent for its legalization nationwide in a conservative Catholic country of about 120 million people.

Considering a law in the northern state of Coahuila, which mandates up to three years of jail for women who elect to have an abortion, the Supreme Court ruled that any criminal penalization of abortion violated Mexico’s Constitution.

The decision does not automatically make abortion legal across Mexico, experts said, but it does set a binding precedent for judges across the country. Reproductive rights advocates said they planned to use the ruling to challenge laws in the vast majority of Mexico’s states that mandate either jail time or other penalties for women who choose to have the procedure. Activists also plan to push state authorities to free women currently serving time for getting abortions.

This is huge.

I doubt any woman thinks getting an abortion is a means of birth control. At one point in time in Mexico, it was suggested that woman only have as many children as they could feed, clothe, house and educate. It's a hard choice for any woman to make and being judgmental does not make it any easier. Walk a mile in her shoes.

58 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

Totally different 

Is it different?

I'm sure there are valid reasons why a young man places his life in harm’s way and his parents and society allow it. Who am I to judge?

and I am sure there are also valid reasons why a woman does not want to have a child.  

Some parents are willing to sacrifice their young son and others their unborn child. Who are we to judge?

46 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I doubt any woman thinks getting an abortion is a means of birth control. At one point in time in Mexico, it was suggested that woman only have as many children as they could feed, clothe, house and educate. It's a hard choice for any woman to make and being judgmental does not make it any easier. Walk a mile in her shoes.

Our age group (senior citizens) when young thought of having many children as an asset in a big open often discussed way in my over 40 years being married to Mexicans.  I have heard it a hundred times at least.

My father-in-law had 11 and I know people even 40 younger years younger with 7, 5, or 4 children. Never have I heard a Mexican say they were concerned about feeding, clothing or educating children and if they did they would probably be laughed at. Your post is NOB ideas not Mexican Catholic ideas. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Our age group (senior citizens) when young thought of having many children as an asset in a big open often discussed way in my over 40 years being married to Mexicans.  I have heard it a hundred times at least.

My father-in-law had 11 and I know people even 40 younger years younger with 7, 5, or 4 children. Never have I heard a Mexican say they were concerned about feeding, clothing or educating children and if they did they would probably be laughed at. Your post is NOB ideas not Mexican Catholic ideas. 

You’re not keeping up with the times.  Young Mexican couples are not having many children as in the old days.  2 to 4 is what they are having.  I have at least a dozen nieces and nephews here in Mexico and they all have small families.

43 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

You’re not keeping up with the times.  Young Mexican couples are not having many children as in the old days.  2 to 4 is what they are having.  I have at least a dozen nieces and nephews here in Mexico and they all have small families.

I agree. It's about education and understanding. It is heartbreaking in the poor rural communities. We worked with many in the outer lying areas of San Miguel. One woman, who was 26, was pregnant with her 9th child. All living in a one room hovel with no running water or a bathroom. At what point do you suggest that maybe she has enough gifts from God. It would, of course, be so much easier if the men would get vasectomies in such circumstances. She ended up having her tubes tied after the birth of her ninth. 

I find it ironic that men feel they have the right to legislate what women can do with their bodies. Too bad they can't get pregnant.😒

Way back before Roe vs. Wade, people went to Mexico to get underground abortions from whoever offered them.  Dangerous, of course, and sometimes fatal.  However, desperate people do such things. It would be an good thing if they could come here and have the procedure be legal and done under the right circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

If it really was "My body, my choice" then an abortion would kill the woman, not the baby. That baby is not "your body", it's a separate human being. I've never heard a serious argument that a fetus is not a separate life...just that a woman should have the right to kill that life. Believe what you choose but don't be confused about what is being done. I notice that the pro-choice people have stopped that "My body, my choice" rhetoric. It makes it difficult to rant against anyone who chooses not to vax or wear a mask.

• Sad 2

I’ve often wondered, “why does a rich old white dude care if a poor Mexican or Black girl has a baby or not. We know his daughter will find a way to get rid of an unwanted fetus (they DO have unwanted pregnancies).

if all he wants is more cheap labor there are plenty of illegals waiting at the border to come in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

If it really was "My body, my choice" then an abortion would kill the woman, not the baby. That baby is not "your body", it's a separate human being. I've never heard a serious argument that a fetus is not a separate life...just that a woman should have the right to kill that life. Believe what you choose but don't be confused about what is being done. I notice that the pro-choice people have stopped that "My body, my choice" rhetoric. It makes it difficult to rant against anyone who chooses not to vax or wear a mask.

Rather misogynistic to the extreme. You disappoint me but on the other hand you do live in Texas now and that most likely 'splains it. I don't hobnob with bigots,racists,misogynists. misandrists and people that don't understand that gayness is as natural as hetero.

• Like 3

Yes it is. But, not all women know when they are pregnant nor if the pregnancy is going to affect their or the baby's health. Many women who are underweight or overly athletic do not menstruate. In the second case, it is between the woman and her Doctor. The government has no business in the decision.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Seriously in these days when you can take the morning after pill, why is abortion even an issue? 

For me abortion at 6 weeks is significantly different than say at 24 weeks..or not?

One: lots of side effects. Two: many people don't want to take any more drugs than they already have to. Three: cost. If Texas or any one of those anti-abortion states would help to pay for condoms, the pill, the morning-after pill, it might help. The morning-after pill should be immediately offered after every rape report, if necessary. But until reporting a rape becomes a fact and not a "you probably asked for it" situation, this ain't gonna happen.

The savings to the social medical systems far outweigh the initial cost and prejudices.

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Yes it is. But, not all women know when they are pregnant nor if the pregnancy is going to affect their or the baby's health. Many women who are underweight or overly athletic do not menstruate. In the second case, it is between the woman and her Doctor. The government has no business in the decision.

Man, I would like to see part of the oath of political office the same as the Hippocratic oath: "Do no harm."

• Like 1