Chapala.com Webboard

Covid test for domestic flights

rafterbr

Yes, I have had my two Pfizer vaccine shots, in fact I got them earlier this year in March and April. And since then, I have flow to and from Mexico once and am about to return maybe next week. Yes I am worried about catching Covid19, but all I can do is wear the best masks available N95 or the almost at good XN95 mask and hope for the best. 

I sure hope you all have gotten your covid19 vaccine shots, and that my 2 Pfizer shots have also given me protection for this trip. Hospitals are filling up to 100% capacity with sick patients who neglected to get their vaccine shots and who are dyeing from Covid19.

Sorry if you have heard this message too often but get your vaccine shots to keep you alive

32 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Gosh Mudgirl, correct me if I am wrong but I could have sworn that just the other day you were educating Maincoons on how safe flying was due to the air filtration systems and fresh air flow.

Okay, I'll correct you since you are wrong.

I wouldn't trust Mexican airlines to have the same filtration systems as Canadian or US ones. And as Andy Panda pointed out, I wasn't talking about flights that don't require anything more than filling out a form stating you don't have Covid symptoms in order to board. The flight I took to Canada required everyone to be PCR tested before boarding and again on arrival. If anyone were found to be positive, all the passengers who had been on that flight would be notified. And no one at that point was allowed to leave the quarantine hotel until receiving a negative result on the the test given on arrival. (Now if you are fully vaxed you can skip the hotel quarantine)

No one is tested in Mexico on arrival at their destination, and no one would know if they had been sitting next to someone who had Covid.

I also never said "how safe" flying is. I countered his assertion that it was the most dangerous place to be. 

• Like 1

Actually Mexican planes would have the same air filtration systems as they come from the same manufacturers. Some of the Mexican airlines actually have newer fleets than other airlines IE; Delta, American, United.  HEPA filtration has been on modern airliners for years, and the actual cabin air recirculation time is the same as it has been for years.

• Like 1

i would think that since the planes are packed longer flights  gives time to people to eat and drink and therefore many people take their masks off for that reason..Not a good idea in my book since people are on top of each other..

I take a two hour flight and keep my mask on. I live in two places and work in one  and have chronic sciatic so flying in the only way to go..

That s life  One can stay and hide until this thing is over or get vaccines take measures hope for the best and continue to live your life.

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Do you believe that the maintenance on those systems is the same in all countries?

Many of the Mexican carriers planes are US registered. Many are owned by US leasing companies. Servicing and inspections are done in both the US and Mexico. Each airplane has an airframe logbook, and a logbook for each engine. All inspections and work is noted in the corresponding logbook, and signed off by a certified mechanic, and inspector. Those logbooks are available for inspections by federal authorities, and surprise inspections do occur.

Airliners are serviced based on strict requirements which are both time based and flight hours based. It is a violation to not do the required service on time which subjects the airline to hefty fines. It is illogical that a Mexican carrier is willfully violating regulations that can cost millions of dollars in fines to save a few dollars on checking systems, and replacing parts such as an air filter when required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Amazing so short the time we/you veer off to plane  maintenance, the question was resolved hours ago

Open a new subject on plane maintenance if you so wish

Or you could just not read posts that are not of interest to you. Maybe you should chastise Mudgirl who actually changed the subject to getting on a plane is foolish based on her false assumption that Mexican planes are somehow different than the same models in the US.

The plane maintenance subject came up because a poster inferred that they were safe on a US carrier, but Mexican carriers would not be as safe because they would not have the same filtration system a a US based carrier. Then someone else inferred that Mexican carriers might not maintain their plane to the same level as a Mexican carrier. 

• Like 2

All is good and well... except for all those grounded planes of a particular brand that had problems which resulted in people dying in crashes.

The MAIN point is that there is no official testing or vaccination certificate for Covid-19 required on flights within Mexico.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Maybe you should chastise Mudgirl who actually changed the subject to getting on a plane is foolish based on her false assumption that Mexican planes are somehow different than the same models in the US.

No, I did not. I said getting on a plane where no one is required to produce proof of vaccination, or a negative Covid test is foolish. Try reading before attacking.

My comment about not trusting Mexican airlines filtration systems was in response to the poster who claimed I had said flying was safe, which I also never said, I had said it wasn't the most likely place to contract Covid. But she/he also didn't read what I actually said.

Lot of posters here with reading comprehension issues.

40 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No, I did not. I said getting on a plane where no one is required to produce proof of vaccination, or a negative Covid test is foolish. Try reading before attacking.

My comment about not trusting Mexican airlines filtration systems was in response to the poster who claimed I had said flying was safe, which I also never said, I had said it wasn't the most likely place to contract Covid. But she/he also didn't read what I actually said.

Lot of posters here with reading comprehension issues.

I humbly apologize. I  guess I couldn't comprehend this     "I wouldn't trust Mexican airlines to have the same filtration systems as Canadian or US ones."  

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Many of the Mexican carriers planes are US registered. Many are owned by US leasing companies. Servicing and inspections are done in both the US and Mexico. Each airplane has an airframe logbook, and a logbook for each engine. All inspections and work is noted in the corresponding logbook, and signed off by a certified mechanic, and inspector. Those logbooks are available for inspections by federal authorities, and surprise inspections do occur.

Airliners are serviced based on strict requirements which are both time based and flight hours based. It is a violation to not do the required service on time which subjects the airline to hefty fines. It is illogical that a Mexican carrier is willfully violating regulations that can cost millions of dollars in fines to save a few dollars on checking systems, and replacing parts such as an air filter when required. 

It is also pretty clear that cabin crews often do a miserable job of proper cleanup, which I doubt is part of the servicing requirements of a technical nature.

1 minute ago, AndyPanda said:

It is also well-known that cabin crews often do a miserable job of proper cleanup, which I doubt is part of the servicing requirements of a technical nature.

Yes that is very true. In my experience the US carriers are very bad at cabin cleaning. My last three flights on Mexican carriers had well cleaned cabins. My last flight on A US carrier had trash in the seat back pocket and crumbs on the floor in my seat row. Doubt it was "sanitized" by a highly trained crew as their website stated. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I have yet to see anyone wipe down the headrests. In cases where a paper cover is used, I have yet to see them being replaced.

On the Westjet flight I took to Canada, and the one I took within Canada and the one back to Mexico, all passengers were handed antiseptic wipes as they entered the cabin to wipe down their seats, headrests and trays.

On 9/5/2021 at 7:17 PM, mudgirl said:

Raise your hand if you think getting on a plane with a bunch of people who are unvaccinated and untested and only had to fill out a form claiming they don't feel sick is a really foolish thing to do.

Of course, I realize that some travel is essential, but I sure wouldn't risk it if it wasn't.

I wouldn't get on a plane with people who are vaccinated --looks like we have a Mexican standoff---HA