Chapala.com Webboard

Time to visit?

MitchF

Mitch, many people on this board will just tell you to stay put and not travel right now.  But the truth is Lake Chapala is most definitely open right now.  Just a couple of weeks ago Chapala celebrated its anual tequila festival on the malecón and it attracted large crowds.  Everything is open now except for the cantinas and discotecas.  And they are supposed to open up again on the first of September.  The kids just today returned to in class classes at school finally.  Last year was totally virtual for nearly all kids in Jalisco.  Tons of foreigners are coming down all the time.  I spend most afternoons on the Chapala malecón.  And every day I see new faces visiting the area from up North.  If you go to Ajijic they are much more serious about face masks.  Here in Chapala over half of the people you see on the streets have stopped using them and a large percentage of the mom and pop stores no longer require face mask usage.  Mostly only the larger stores that are chains like the Wal-marts, Sorianas, and Oxxo's still require them.  I'm just giving you the facts on the ground here.  Please don't kill the messenger.  On top of that the streets are bustling with human traffic and most people are still unvaccinated in this area.  In our population of over 60,000 people we have had only 70 official Covid deaths in the past 2 years since Covid has come out.  I guarantee you that there are far worse places to be than our small but beautiful little area here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... the operative words are "Official Covid Deaths".  This is in a country where counting.... especially negative things..... is not in high demand. Those 70 deaths were the official deaths. suggesting that is all the folks that have died of Covid in two years Lakeside is very disingenuous IMO.  

You ask if it "makes much sense".  I personally would wait a while. Of course it is open. And one can go into restaurants and walk around town and walk the Malecons. The fact that the annual tequila festival generated crowds does NOT mean that it wasn't a spreader event. You didn't say what your 'visit' was going to be for/like. If you are going to want to be out and about and amonst people then I for one would make sure that I was fully vaxed, wearing a mask in crowds and know that the community has a LOT of unvaccinated folks.  You don't want to be #71!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree...I'm fully vexed, wear masks and avoid crowds.  Worried about a friend I've become disconnected with in Lake Chapala...she lives dn the street from the new hospital in Ajijic...if I'm correct, based on all of our past conversations.  I'm also looking at a potential relo out of the US, esp out of California.

CA is my former home. It's "glory days" are long gone. Left for Mexico 17 years ago and have only returned once for a family funeral. Best move we ever made, and no regrets.   Come on down...the weather is great, the people are friendly and the food is not only good, it's less expensive!  There are some restrictions due to the virus, but the situation is not as bad as it is in many places in the U.S.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are as safe or safer here with the proper precautions unless you become sick.  Consider a Plan B because you will not be flying back to the states with a Covid + test.  I'll take my chances here anyday  but if I had to return to the US I could make it by car in one day, no covid required test for land travel.  There are no certainties in life, Best of luck to you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gringal said:

CA is my former home. It's "glory days" are long gone. Left for Mexico 17 years ago and have only returned once for a family funeral. Best move we ever made, and no regrets.   Come on down...the weather is great, the people are friendly and the food is not only good, it's less expensive!  There are some restrictions due to the virus, but the situation is not as bad as it is in many places in the U.S.

Thank you..Cali is def not my last stop and Lake Chapala looks and seems quite attractive in many ways..

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

You are as safe or safer here with the proper precautions unless you become sick.  Consider a Plan B because you will not be flying back to the states with a Covid + test.  I'll take my chances here anyday  but if I had to return to the US I could make it by car in one day, no covid required test for land travel.  There are no certainties in life, Best of luck to you

Thank you...great insights..

You may wish to follow the guidelines of the respective government's web information . Perception plays a great deal in decision making. Many of the people who visit from Guadalajara just do not care a damn about "precautions" only glad to get away for R&R. and I would suggest they are the super spreaders of the bug.

Regarding rentals, I see "hundreds" of places being advertised on a web board. Just check and talk with any of the rental managers in any of the Real Estate companies. My perception, it is a renters market.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

You may wish to follow the guidelines of the respective government's web information . Perception plays a great deal in decision making. Many of the people who visit from Guadalajara just do not care a damn about "precautions" only glad to get away for R&R. and I would suggest they are the super spreaders of the bug.

Regarding rentals, I see "hundreds" of places being advertised on a web board. Just check and talk with any of the rental managers in any of the Real Estate companies. My perception, it is a renters market.

Thank you..

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

I agree that there are a LOT of rentals available. Why some of them have put their prices UP does not make any sense (to me).

Possibly to try and make up for lost $$ plus they most likely feel that it's opening enough here for people to run to MX.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I agree that there are a LOT of rentals available. Why some of them have put their prices UP does not make any sense (to me).

Well, one can always 'lower' their price at the last moment but the reverse is next to impossible.

• Haha 1

We are moving into "high season" soon, which will see landlords jacking up their prices for the expected flood of newbs. I don't think it's going to pay off, not with the surge in virus variants. So March of next year should see much better prices with landlords who don't want their places to sit empty during the down season.

Regarding going through Mexico without shots or tests, one thing has changed: Cruise liners arriving at Puerto Vallarta cannot eject passengers without negative test results. Have not heard that this federal mandate has been applied to any other tourist ports that accept liners.

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

We are moving into "high season" soon, which will see landlords jacking up their prices for the expected flood of newbs. I don't think it's going to pay off, not with the surge in virus variants. So March of next year should see much better prices with landlords who don't want their places to sit empty during the down season.

Regarding going through Mexico without shots or tests, one thing has changed: Cruise liners arriving at Puerto Vallarta cannot eject passengers without negative test results. Have not heard that this federal mandate has been applied to any other tourist ports that accept liners.

With the Delta variant, lots of people on the fence about traveling and/or moving.  Most of my friends in US are taking a wait & see attitude for now and will reevaluate in the next few months.  

2 hours ago, bmh said:

No area is closed in Mexico and you can go wherever you like ,is the answer since the government is not responsable for anything, you are pretty much on your own for the better and the worse.

Isn't that called adulting?

On a more serious note, just obey the rules (masks indoors, etc) and you should be fine. I follow the philosophy of obeying the rules but taking the mask off the second my feet hit the outdoors so I can breathe the fresh air and get some sun on my skin. YMMV.

• Like 1

Since (at least) Ajijic is known for its very narrow sidewalks it's probably a good idea to wear a mask while navigating them.... IMO.

If you are an anti-masker and/or anti-vaxer, please disregard the previous common-sense thought. It probably doesn't apply to you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, MitchF said:

You mean like here in San Diego..lol

Since I do not live in San Diego I have no idea how  our situation at Lakeside compares. If you are vulnerable then common sense would say stay at home. Remember Rules and Regulations in Mexico are only words, not intended to be followed.

Seriously "we" have no idea of the real numbers of people infected and who died. Remember when you travel be sure to have good travel insurance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pVp23o2.jpg

Anyone who thinks they are going to get covid from a 2 second walk by on a sidewalk and therefore they have to wear a face diaper outdoors is seriously covid deranged and should probably stay at home in their closet.  As noted previously, the real risk is from airports or on airplanes crammed next to people for hours.   We are avoiding flying for this very reason.

The "science" shows clearly that contracting covid requires more than a momentary encounter.  Not to mention the fact it is very easy to walk around the few people you might encounter while out walking here.  But if you want to re-inhale your own CO2 and trap bacteria on your face while using one of these silly cloth masks to maintain the illusion you are protecting your self from anything other than healthy breathing, please be my guest.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2