Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex

That's possible. The website clearly states that they have internet only BUT doesn't state whether fibre is required. They also give speeds for the internet which we absolutely know are not available in many areas here with the current infrastructure. The only way to find out what is possible is to either head into the office or, perhaps, call the number on the front of your modem.

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Is it possible to have Telmex internet without Telmex phone service?

TelCel offers a modem that gets you perhaps 30Mbps using a cellular signal, which is like WiFi in your house. You get a device that is basically a cell phone in a box, without the phone part, using a SIM card they provide. One benefit is that it works in most locations where iLox and other fiber companies don't have a presence. But, it also offers the same quality of service that your cell phone gets, which can be spotty depending on tower location.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

TelCel offers a modem that gets you perhaps 30Mbps using a cellular signal, which is like WiFi in your house. You get a device that is basically a cell phone in a box..... snip

It is my understanding that one must pay a one-time fee for that 'box'..... no?

15 minutes ago, RickS said:

It is my understanding that one must pay a one-time fee for that 'box'..... no?

Correct. I don't know how much it costs, when I looked into it several years ago, it was 2000 pesos.

Because I don't use a lot of data, so don't require unlimited, I just use my phone as a hotspot and buy a combo of SinLimites at 200 pesos/month which gives me my calling and texting and 3 gbs of data, and the "Internet only" of 300  pesos/, which gives me 8gbs.

The "box" is like your phone hotspot, but when you sign up for that, you get unlimited for I think about 400p/ month?