Chapala.com Webboard

Chow Chow=Chayote

CHILLIN

• CHILLIN changed the title to Chow Chow=Chayote

In Oklahoma after a few cold nights and just before the first freeze my wife harvested all the tomatoes and made some great chow chow with the green ones.  Frijoles, cornbread and chow chow is hard to beat on a cold winter day!

I've known this squash as mirliton since the 1980's and Paul Prudhomme's first Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.  My favorite way to prepare them is to boil until soft then carve into canoe shapes (actually, pirogues...the name of swamp boats in Louisiana), then bread, deep fry and fill with shrimp usually in a creamy but spicy Cajun sauce. 

I didn't know it was also called chayote until I moved to southern AZ in 2003.  

• Like 1

I just ran across it in what has become a cult classic cookbook called "Usha's Pickle Digest" which is collection of 1,000(!) India pickle recipes. She had one calling for chow chow, so I had to look it up, like so many things in that book. It is like reading instructions for an ancient treasure hunt, or a sorcerer's manual. She a new book pending any day with 1,000 Rasam recipes. Rasams are from Southern India and are spicy broths to sprinkle on dry, leftover rice etc.

https://food52.com/blog/25629-what-is-rasam