Chapala.com Webboard

I have made the relative who is the executor of the estate very aware of what can happen to one's "things".  As a practical matter, when you are dead, you are no longer capable of being concerned about your "things".  You are very unlikely to be observing their disposition from the great beyond.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

This is assuming that there is anything left of your things...

You seem to imply this is a Mexican 'thing.' 

Had a friend in USA who was living with and taking care of his bachelor uncle in his final days.  Uncle ended up in hospital where he died.  My friend was with him and stayed at hospital because he wanted to accompany his uncle during transport to the funeral home, out of respect.  While awaiting the hearse he made phone calls to other relatives about his uncle's death. 

When he got back to his uncle's house an hour later, the refrigerator was gone, hauled away by another nephew.  

34 minutes ago, gringal said:

I have made the relative who is the executor of the estate very aware of what can happen to one's "things".  As a practical matter, when you are dead, you are no longer capable of being concerned about your "things".  You are very unlikely to be observing their disposition from the great beyond.😉

Of course you can't be concerned after you are dead but for me it is a matter of consideration for my heirs. They would most likely prefer to be left money and not to have to deal with the hassle of dealing with a different culture.

1 minute ago, cedros said:

Of course you can't be concerned after you are dead but for me it is a matter of consideration for my heirs. They would most likely prefer to be left money and not to have to deal with the hassle of dealing with a different culture.

Offer up your stuff to them now; if they can't be bothered to fetch it, they probably don't want it.  Items that matter to you, may not matter to them.  That's often the reality (I say this after closing out my mother's house and watching my spouse close his father's).  

If I thought it was too much of a 'hassle' for any particular heir to deal with a different culture, my solution would be to leave them out of my estate planning altogether.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Better answer: age in place. 

It is still affordable here to hire home care workers and stay in the comfort of your own home. 

Yes you are correct. I live in an all Mexican neighborhood, I believe I am now the only non Mexican living in the Cascada/Santa Maria area. There used to be one other non Mexican , but it looks she moved back up North. So this is my story. I have been living in this area for over 4 years now. Every one knows my name even know in most cases I have no idea who they are. I do all my shopping and eating out locally. Now about 2 years ago I was really sick, I called the girl that works at the Taco stand just down the road. She came took one look and then called her husband. He came then called a doctor who arrived within a half hour. He prescribe and intravenous drip. They called another friend who could set it (they strung a rope between my closet and the window to support it). Then they and  there 2 young children spent the entire night (sleeping on the floor) to ensure I would be alright. (total cost about 500 Pesos).

So to make a long story short, I learned that they both had to drop out of the Preparatorio because she got pregnant. I made all the arrangements so that they could attend a special program in order to get their diplomas. I then arranged a tutor for the girl for one year, Monday to Friday, 2 hours each in order for her to be able to take the entry exam for the teachers school in Atequiza. She was late getting her papers so she will now take her exam in February of next year. But not to lose a year she enrolled in a Nursing school. One day a week for 2 years. I made arrangements for her husband to take electronic classes in Guadalajara every Saturday for 2 years.

So why do I tell you this is because I now  know that I will  spend the rest of my life in my own home surrounded by people that I know and love. They used to all sleep on one large mattress with a curtain as a door. I gave them one of my apartments (the title is in her name) and made out a will benefitting them. Like wise, I have a living will that clearly spells out  that a) only give me pain medication as it goes and b) give my remains for medical use.

On a final note, yes I speak Spanish, but if your willing to go the extra mile you will find similar support. Mexican are the most caring people I have ever encountered. Most care givers do not have any diplomas, they just know how to care.☺️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Offer up your stuff to them now; if they can't be bothered to fetch it, they probably don't want it.  Items that matter to you, may not matter to them.  That's often the reality (I say this after closing out my mother's house and watching my spouse close his father's).  

If I thought it was too much of a 'hassle' for any particular heir to deal with a different culture, my solution would be to leave them out of my estate planning altogether.  

I've been through all that. If it too much of a hassle leave them money instead was my solution. Your solution is too harsh for me.

What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander as they say. We all have different families and different family ties. Trying to give recommendations on something like this is fruitless and may be of little value. 

23 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

You seem to imply this is a Mexican 'thing.' 

Had a friend in USA who was living with and taking care of his bachelor uncle in his final days.  Uncle ended up in hospital where he died.  My friend was with him and stayed at hospital because he wanted to accompany his uncle during transport to the funeral home, out of respect.  While awaiting the hearse he made phone calls to other relatives about his uncle's death. 

When he got back to his uncle's house an hour later, the refrigerator was gone, hauled away by another nephew.  

Unfortunately it is not a "Mexican thing", sadly human behaviour can be less then honourable at times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Unfortunately it is not a "Mexican thing", sadly human behaviour can be less then honourable at times.

That is why I have spelled everything out carefully in both my Canadian and Mexican wills. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, HoneyBee said:

Yes you are correct. I live in an all Mexican neighborhood, I believe I am now the only non Mexican living in the Cascada/Santa Maria area. There used to be one other non Mexican , but it looks she moved back up North. So this is my story. I have been living in this area for over 4 years now. Every one knows my name even know in most cases I have no idea who they are. I do all my shopping and eating out locally. Now about 2 years ago I was really sick, I called the girl that works at the Taco stand just down the road. She came took one look and then called her husband. He came then called a doctor who arrived within a half hour. He prescribe and intravenous drip. They called another friend who could set it (they strung a rope between my closet and the window to support it). Then they and  there 2 young children spent the entire night (sleeping on the floor) to ensure I would be alright. (total cost about 500 Pesos).

So to make a long story short, I learned that they both had to drop out of the Preparatorio because she got pregnant. I made all the arrangements so that they could attend a special program in order to get their diplomas. I then arranged a tutor for the girl for one year, Monday to Friday, 2 hours each in order for her to be able to take the entry exam for the teachers school in Atequiza. She was late getting her papers so she will now take her exam in February of next year. But not to lose a year she enrolled in a Nursing school. One day a week for 2 years. I made arrangements for her husband to take electronic classes in Guadalajara every Saturday for 2 years.

So why do I tell you this is because I now  know that I will  spend the rest of my life in my own home surrounded by people that I know and love. They used to all sleep on one large mattress with a curtain as a door. I gave them one of my apartments (the title is in her name) and made out a will benefitting them. Like wise, I have a living will that clearly spells out  that a) only give me pain medication as it goes and b) give my remains for medical use.

On a final note, yes I speak Spanish, but if your willing to go the extra mile you will find similar support. Mexican are the most caring people I have ever encountered. Most care givers do not have any diplomas, they just know how to care.☺️

That doesn't work for everyone, even "going the extra mile."   I have gone the extra mile, as you say, in helping someone, and still, I experienced a theft from that person.  I don't want this thread to change topics to discuss theft. I only mention this because, although your experience, was a God sent, not everyone is that fortunate with care giver.

I don't see the post I just typed, so I am retyping and posting.  Apologies if it is shown twice.  I am asking La Pueblita to post  prices on this forum and their website.  There is really no reason to not do so. 

If the prices are not shown because they want prospects to come out first, then that logic is flawed, because if the price is too high, it is a waste of everyone's time.  No matter how beautiful, etc. it may be, cost is a determining factor.  Also, don't forget to mention that there is a percentage of price increase yearly.  I did go visit there, however, did not save my cost and price increase information.  I personally felt it was too costly.  Others may have a different opinion.

7 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

fyi @Zeb There are 2 La Pueblita threads; your comment you didn't see here, is on the other thread.  

Okay.  In any event, later I found a post from them directly, and so I responded with my request for prices.

I have told this story before. It is supposed to be true, and concerns an American lady who moved to San Miquel Allende. She was a movie actress, who in good times built her dream bungalow. She had a full time housekeeper all the time. Well work dried up, as often happens with older actresses. Money became tighter, and the housekeeper decided to retire and move back to Mexico in a village near SMA. Money became tighter still, and the actress was forced to sell her home. She telephoned the housekeeper, to explain what was going, and how difficult it was to find a reasonable rental. The ex housekeeper told her, come live with me, I would love to have you and always enjoyed your company. The actress decided to do that. She flew to SMA and got a taxi to the address. When she got there her jaw dropped - the house was an exact replica of the bungalow she had built! The ex housekeeper explained that she loved that house, and carefully saved to get the copy built. As far as I know, they lived happily together ever after.

55 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I have told this story before. It is supposed to be true, and concerns an American lady who moved to San Miquel Allende. She was a movie actress, who in good times built her dream bungalow. She had a full time housekeeper all the time. Well work dried up, as often happens with older actresses. Money became tighter, and the housekeeper decided to retire and move back to Mexico in a village near SMA. Money became tighter still, and the actress was forced to sell her home. She telephoned the housekeeper, to explain what was going, and how difficult it was to find a reasonable rental. The ex housekeeper told her, come live with me, I would love to have you and always enjoyed your company. The actress decided to do that. She flew to SMA and got a taxi to the address. When she got there her jaw dropped - the house was an exact replica of the bungalow she had built! The ex housekeeper explained that she loved that house, and carefully saved to get the copy built. As far as I know, they lived happily together ever after.

Yes. I do remember this story.