Chapala.com Webboard

Medication prices

On 8/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, gringohombre said:

I was under the assumption that what they sell are called Generic drugs. And are those not supposed to be exact copies of drugs whose patents have expired? 

Similares sells similar medication to the one asked for, it may or may not be the same "drug". Always check the ingredients listed to ensure that your are getting what you think you are. 

34 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Similares sells similar medication to the one asked for, it may or may not be the same "drug". Always check the ingredients listed to ensure that your are getting what you think you are. 

Don't confuse the name of a Pharmacy with what they sell. 

They are most  definitely the same "drug". Again as posted in their website:

"Generic Medicine is called a pharmaceutical specialty with the same drug or active substance, with the same concentration or potency, that uses the same route of administration and that, through the required regulatory tests, has verified that its pharmacopoeic specifications, dissolution profiles or bioavailability or other parameters, as the case may be, are equivalent to those of the reference medicine."  The Generics offered in Farmacia Similares have the quality conditions that the law indicates at a lower price, always to the benefit of the family economy.

" Farmacias Similares has a Quality Control Department that guarantees the manufacture of each product for your health. The packaging of a Generic contains the name of the active substance and is even branded and followed by the name of the manufacturing laboratory."

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Don't confuse the name of a Pharmacy with what they sell. 

They are most  definitely the same "drug". Again as posted in their website:

"Generic Medicine is called a pharmaceutical specialty with the same drug or active substance, with the same concentration or potency, that uses the same route of administration and that, through the required regulatory tests, has verified that its pharmacopoeic specifications, dissolution profiles or bioavailability or other parameters, as the case may be, are equivalent to those of the reference medicine."  The Generics offered in Farmacia Similares have the quality conditions that the law indicates at a lower price, always to the benefit of the family economy.

" Farmacias Similares has a Quality Control Department that guarantees the manufacture of each product for your health. The packaging of a Generic contains the name of the active substance and is even branded and followed by the name of the manufacturing laboratory."

The doctor has told me otherwise.

The key may be, "are equivalent to those of the reference medicine."

Let's make it a triple dose to cure any confusion - from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_drug :

"A generic drug is a pharmaceutical drug that contains the same chemical substance as a drug that was originally protected by chemical patents. Generic drugs are allowed for sale after the patents on the original drugs expire. Because the active chemical substance is the same, the medical profile of generics is believed to be equivalent in performance." 

As ML previously observed, for the US anyway, emphasis should be placed on the relevant patents (as administered by the USPTO in the US).  Patents confer exclusivity of ownership (IP rights) to exclude others from copying the chemical formulation discovered, for a number of years set by law, typically by a bioscience startup or large international drug company, and proved effective to the US FDA at great expense.  Companies will often fiddle with their formulations in an attempt to extend their patent rights for additional years of  exclusivity, and will sometimes 'negotiate' with generics manufacturers to retain their ability to gouge the US public through the opaque and essentially corrupt pharmaceutical insurance industry (which my late Dad helped found 50 years ago as a nonprofit - then the Texans moved in...)

14 minutes ago, utilitus said:

Let's make it a triple dose to cure any confusion - from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_drug :

"A generic drug is a pharmaceutical drug that contains the same chemical substance as a drug that was originally protected by chemical patents. Generic drugs are allowed for sale after the patents on the original drugs expire. Because the active chemical substance is the same, the medical profile of generics is believed to be equivalent in performance." 

As ML previously observed, for the US anyway, emphasis should be placed on the relevant patents (as administered by the USPTO in the US).  Patents confer exclusivity of ownership (IP rights) to exclude others from copying the chemical formulation discovered, for a number of years set by law, typically by a bioscience startup or large international drug company, and proved effective to the US FDA at great expense.  Companies will often fiddle with their formulations in an attempt to extend their patent rights for additional years of  exclusivity, and will sometimes 'negotiate' with generics manufacturers to retain their ability to gouge the US public through the opaque and essentially corrupt pharmaceutical insurance industry (which my late Dad helped found 50 years ago as a nonprofit - then the Texans moved in...)

My doctor said, the hotel manager studying medicine said, always some individual knows better than the experts. One should ask the person "can you give me a reference to where you found that information?"  

A add from the FDA:

Generic medicines use the same active ingredients as brand-name medicines and work the same way, so they have the same risks and benefits as the brand-name medicines. The FDA Generic Drugs Program conducts a rigorous review to ensure generic medicines meet these standards, in addition to conducting inspections of manufacturing plants and monitoring drug safety after the generic medicine has been approved and brought to market.

A generic drug may have certain minor differences from the brand-name product, such as different inactive ingredients. 

It is important to note that there will always be a slight, but not medically significant, level of expected variability—just as there is for one batch of brand-name medicine compared with the next batch of brand-name product. This variability can and does occur during manufacturing, for both brand-name and generic medicines. When a medicine, generic or brand-name, is mass produced, very small variations in purity, size, strength, and other parameters are permitted. FDA limits how much variability is acceptable.

For example, a very large research study1 comparing generics with brand-name medicines, found that there were very small differences (approximately 3.5%) in absorption into the body between generic and brand-name medicines. Some generics were absorbed slightly more, some slightly less. This amount of difference is expected and clinically acceptable, whether for one batch of brand-name medicine tested against another batch of the same brand, or for a generic tested against a brand-name medicine. 

Pharmaceuticals, branded and generic, available to us here in MEXICO are manufactured all over the world and the FDA  tests what is available in the United states only. I worked in the industry in Canada and was privy to world wide controversies branded  vs. generics and always had an up to date Vademicum as well,so I  will never use a generic thanks. No countries testing agency has a perfect record in this and other matters. Playing it safe by using branded is what I follow.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Pharmaceuticals, branded and generic, available to us here in MEXICO are manufactured all over the world and the FDA  tests what is available in the United states only. I worked in the industry in Canada and was privy to world wide controversies branded  vs. generics and always had an up to date Vademicum as well,so I  will never use a generic thanks. No countries testing agency has a perfect record in this and other matters. Playing it safe by using branded is what I follow.

So you only would buy Bayer Aspirin as they formulated the type we use today (the name Aspirin was what Bayer called it)  as any other Aspirin is a generic  Or you only would buy Motrin, and not any other Ibuprofen such as Advil which is a generic. just to name a couple of generics.....

And you believe only the FDA has the ability to test drugs, and not any other country?

are you aware of the fact that some drug companies market "generics" at a lower price that are the exact same drug as their name brand?

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

So you only would buy Bayer Aspirin as they formulated the type we use today (the name Aspirin was what Bayer called it)  as any other Aspirin is a generic  Or you only would buy Motrin, and not any other Ibuprofen such as Advil which is a generic. just to name a couple of generics.....

And you believe only the FDA has the ability to test drugs, and not any other country?

I use Bayer Aspirin and don't use Motrin or Advil and  I clearly stated that other countries have testing agencies none of which have perfect records. The FDA IS the agency for the USA. You chose to reference the FDA as the testing agency to back up your posts on generics vs. brand name.

• Haha 3