Chapala.com Webboard

Fish pond anyone?

I have had a nice small fish pond in my garden for many years but stopped using it 3 years ago when my electric bill skyrocketed because of the pump I was using. My fish pond guy, Jose Luis Preciado, is no longer doing business at his old location in Ajijic. I am now thinking about restarting the pond but with an energy efficient pump and some water plants. Does anyone know of a place here or in Chapala to buy water plants and pumps?

Aquaponics pumps are pretty good. Not sure if an air pump is lower power but air rising stirs water and you can channeel the rising air through a pipe to cause current whhere you want water to flow. Air stones might plug more than a water pump alone. I do know the water pumps are quieter than big air pumps. 

I just use a dual output aquarium air pump with two large long air stones.  Everything available at pet store next to Soriana. My pond is about 8 ft wide. I don't pump water just air into the pond.  Stream is right it is a little bit noisy compared to a water pump.  I built an overflow spot in the pond and when I add water it goes over into a trench and waters the edge of the lawn.  Have not seen any measurable Chrorine in the street water but do measure before adding fish or let the water set for a week with an air stone running.  I just use goldfish from pet store.  Build cover for fish to keep birds away if your pond is in open area.  I have thought of putting some gravel in bottom of pond and using an under the gravel air driven filter but found its not needed.  Adding a little water each week takes care of things. We get much pleasure out of our pond and hope you will also. Water Lillies available from LCS or Nursery behind super lake.

Good Luck!!

46 minutes ago, Aimee918 said:

Thanks for your thoughts on it, happyjillin! 

Resourcefulness can be artful. I’m into building something from nothing and making it beautiful. Paying someone else to make a thing is just less satisfying for my bizarro self. The journey and all.

Step one: a vessel 

If it's large your looking for-maybe a watering trough for horses? Or when I was in the antique biz,i handled a few of these galvanized tubs

galvanized tub.jpg