PLEASE NOTE LCS HAS IMPLEMENTED A PROCESSING FEE

EXACT STEPS FOR SUBMITTING ADULT PASSPORTS FOR RENEWAL 2021

Prepay LCS processing fee in the office and present with application

Drop off 2nd. Monday only at LCS  10:00-12:00

Use form DS-82 for renewal          fee $110 USD

·      *See item 5 for paying with pesos

When dropping off at Lake Chapala Society bring the following:

1.   Completed form using black ink

2.    One proper 2”X2” color passport photo (NO GLASSES)

DO NOT STAPLE PHOTO TO APP, PLEASE.

3.   Your current passport and a copy

4.A pre paid Fed Ex envelope purchased at IShop in San Antonio (short block East from Super Lake) Originating address: US Consulate calle Progreso 175, Col Americana, Americana, 44100 Guadalajara, Jal. 

5.Payment in CASH ONLY either US dollars or Mexican pesos at the   current monthly rate. EXACT CHANGE ONLY

Current rate:  RATE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

If you are paying with pesos, the adult renewal amount is 2200 pesos. (20)

Of special note question #8 is your US address or mail forwarding address and question #18 is your local Mexico address. Also please be sure the photo is as shown below with a smooth white background. Genesis Digital photography is located at Ocompo #34 in Ajijic.

Here is what happens when you turn in completed items above:

All your paperwork and a copy of receipt will be placed in an individual  envelope with your name on it.

You will receive a receipt for the paperwork and cash received

Once a month the applications will be taken to the consulate and  processed (approximately 4 weeks) then sent in your prepaid envelope to IShop who will notify you.   

Questions: pifernr@gmail.com   

• 2 weeks later...

What's the usual turnaround time from filing till receiving the passport? I'm wondering about turnaround times with the amount of people coming out of Afghanistan rising every day. Processing staff might be lower till the Afghanistan. After seeing their websites normal estimated times wow. 

Here's something to understand the status given using the link above. I can guarantee you can get a status of Approved with a date for delivery to your location already a week gone by. That's what I'm looking at now. The final status of Mailed who knows. I signed up for the email notifications and nothing has shown up not even a verification that I signed up. Not that I'm chuckling thinking I understand why people get counterfeit passports :) Took me around a week to search out the meaning of the different statuses. Have fun and play safely :) 

Oh yah. The Tracking Number they refer to I have no clue what good it is because USPS, FedEx and UPS aren't even close to understanding what's up with the tracking number their system gives. I'll see if it changes if the status changes to mailed. For over a week I've tried to find anything related to what's up with the tracking number but eh.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html

What Your Application Status Means

Application Status

Description

Not Available

This update means your application is still in transit to one of our passport agencies and centers. It may take up to 5 to 6 weeks from the day you apply until your application status is “In Process.” During this time, your application is delivered to a mail facility, your payment is processed, and your application is entered into our system. Please check again at least 5 to 6 weeks after the day you applied.

In Process

Your application is being reviewed at one of our agencies or centers. The length of time your application remains In Process depends on the service you selected and our current processing times

Approved 

We have finished reviewing your application and will begin printing your completed passport.

Mailed 

We are sending your passport to the address you provided on your application. Check our Online Passport Status System for the tracking number. We will send your supporting documents such as birth certificates and previous passports in a separate mailing.

I am curious. If I need to do this, I get all my paperwork together (the info for which is easily available), pay for my own labelled envelope, and take it to LCS who charges me between 300 and 500 pesos for putting it in that same envelope and taking it the embassy after a few weeks. Is that correct, would anybody know?

7 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I am curious. If I need to do this, I get all my paperwork together (the info for which is easily available), pay for my own labelled envelope, and take it to LCS who charges me between 300 and 500 pesos for putting it in that same envelope and taking it the embassy after a few weeks. Is that correct, would anybody know?

It appears what the Lake Chapala Society offers is checking your paperwork is in order with possibly straightening out any questions you have. A receipt is supplied. Your application appears to be hand delivered not mailed into the State Department system. 

Here's what I found out calling and dropping by the states side passport office at the main post office. Zilch. Nobody answers the door with plenty of redirects to the door they want you to use which is locked. So you can call them for answers. Zilch again with nobody answering the phone. Can't even get to anything. The make an appointment is impossible. 

What you could possibly run into going to Guadalajara to hand deliver for a nice get out and about is their office might be like mine here. What I ended up doing is using the fill out the form online at the state department website and printing it. Took a few times since I made typos a couple of times and missed a block maybe. Then the ah heck do it again for good measure paying better attention to detail. 

Problems that could arise while personally trying to deliver the paperwork. Their thinking might be you need an appointment and play the "well all you have to do is call this number". I've related what good that did in the states, zilch. You could try calling the consulate or embassy to see what the deal is for taking it there yourself. With covid it's likely a doorman plays into the picture trying to fend off persons just walking in. So he'll ask if you have an appointment. Good luck. I just registered express mailed everything required with j$187 to expedite and use expedited mailing back to me. That was over 6 weeks ago and the passport still hasn't mailed so considering they say the regular time to allot is 6 weeks and I paid much extra to get away from that length of wait.....well I'd hate to think what the regular wait is.

Again yes you are paying extra but it hopefully skips extra problems with getting an appointment and making sure there isn't anything that could get your application rejected. You also get someone else to blame when grumpy :)

I went to the US consulate in Guadalajara on Tuesday, August 10 for a walk-in renewal. I got there early, around 9:00 am. The posted hours for accepting renewal applications at that time was 11:00 am - 12:15 pm. I asked at the guardhouse if I could sign in on a waiting list. He said to come back at 11:00 and the list would be available. I went to breakfast and walked around the neighborhood where the University of Guadalajara is and returned to the consulate around 10:45 and signed in on the list. There were about 30 names ahead of mine.

We could not wait on the sidewalk in front of the consulate, so we congregated on the sidewalk across the street. At 11:30 a consular employee came out and started yelling names from the list. As the names were called, people lined up on the sidewalk on the side of the street next to the building. After about 10 names, she quit calling names and started checking paperwork. The people with approved paperwork then got in another line near the guardhouse door. Those people were called in two or three at a time to go through security and enter the consulate. As that line dwindled, she would call more names, 5 or 6 at a time, to have their paperwork checked. My name was called a little after noon. Turns out I was the second to last person called that day. The other 15 or so people that signed in after me were told that they would have to come back the next day.

Some of the people having their paperwork checked were rejected for one reason or another. Some of those people were able to correct their paperwork, make copies, or fill out the correct form. Others were turned away for having a damaged passport or wrong size photo. My paperwork was good, so I waited to be admitted in for a security check. After going through security, I was admitted and got into another line to go inside the consulate. They were admitting one or two people at a time. Once inside, we were directed to a few chairs to wait and see the cashier. When it was my turn, I showed him my receipt and letter of replacement for the temporary (one year emergency) passport that I got last October. I had already paid in full for a ten year passport last October, so there was no money exchanged. Then it was time to see a consular official. She checked and approved my paperwork. She informed me that they were going to cancel my existing passport and I agreed. I was given a receipt and was directed to the FedEx station near the exit. They took my receipt and told me it's best to have the delivery made to the branch office in Ajijc. They gave me a receipt that included a tracking number. She told me to start tracking the envelope in 5 or 6 days.

The envelope with my new passport arrived in Ajijic on Wednesday, August 18. I picked it up from their branch soon thereafter. The new passport book has 52 pages. I did not request the large book, but they sent it anyway.

The website for the consulate now says the walk-in renewal passport applications are accepted on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 11:30 to 12:15.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...