Chapala.com Webboard

Weird Day - Rental House

This morning, a handyman we used to hire, but not for at least two years, shows up at our gate with a real estate agent and a young couple in tow. He said his son, who I maybe have ever spoken a few sentences to, heard a rumor that this house is for sale and that we have moved out! We have been here three years and still love it. I did sell my truck, so maybe that fed the rumor. There is absolutely no way that our ex handyman and his son would run in the elite social circles of Guadalajara where our landlord is a well known lawyer, art and antiques dealer. He is fearless, and would have no trouble confronting us if he really wanted to sell. We have not seen or texted him over a year.

This is an old house, remodelled to look even older. It needs constant repairs, which we have been handling.

If the landlord did sell the house, I understand that the new owner has to renew the previous lease terms. Since we have been here three years, the act says we are now in an open lease. Does anyone else have factual details on what supposed to happen if a landlord decides to sell an already leased to Mexican property?

The handyman does not have to run in the high circles of Guadaljara but only know a maid, a garneranother handyman who was around when the conversation between the boss and someone else o happened. I am always amazed how much the gardeners, maids, waiters etc know... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

This morning, a handyman we used to hire, but not for at least two years, shows up at our gate with a real estate agent and a young couple in tow. He said his son, who I maybe have ever spoken a few sentences to, heard a rumor that this house is for sale and that we have moved out! We have been here three years and still love it. I did sell my truck, so maybe that fed the rumor. There is absolutely no way that our ex handyman and his son would run in the elite social circles of Guadalajara where our landlord is a well known lawyer, art and antiques dealer. He is fearless, and would have no trouble confronting us if he really wanted to sell. We have not seen or texted him over a year.

This is an old house, remodelled to look even older. It needs constant repairs, which we have been handling.

If the landlord did sell the house, I understand that the new owner has to renew the previous lease terms. Since we have been here three years, the act says we are now in an open lease. Does anyone else have factual details on what supposed to happen if a landlord decides to sell an already leased to Mexican property?

You, of all people, know exactly where you should go for legal advice and it ain't on a chat board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

First of all if you are concerned about the status of your lease you should seek professional help, not here.

However if you have a lease for a specific time period and you are beyond the end date, that lease is technically terminated so you must look at the lease to find out where you stand. Does the lease say it automatically renews for another fixed period of time?

As a landlord, all of my leases state that at the end date of the contract the lease reverts to a month to month basis with each party able to give 30 days notice to either vacate or terminate. Some tenants don't care and do not pursue another lease agreement covering a new period. Others want to lock in a time period and price. If the lease agreement doesn't specify what happens after the end date on the contract you'd be in limbo unless Mexican law provides guidance.

I don't have the article number at hand, but it is in the item 6 section, Leases.

If a tenant has been leasing for three years, and neither party desires changes, the existing lease is automatically extended one year, providing:

a) the rent has always been paid on time

b) at no time has the rent been overdue for more than two months.

We don't want to bother our landlord with anything. He is a very busy man, constantly traveling. He is the youngest of a family of 14 children!

While a squeaky wheel gets the grease

A quiet mouse gets the cheese.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I don't have the article number at hand, but it is in the item 6 section, Leases.

If a tenant has been leasing for three years, and neither party desires changes, the existing lease is automatically extended one year, providing:

a) the rent has always been paid on time

b) at no time has the rent been overdue for more than two months.

We don't want to bother our landlord with anything. He is a very busy man, constantly traveling. He is the youngest of a family of 14 children!

Unbelievable! There is a chance, as you have described, of loosing your rental and you don't want to bother the landlord because he is a busy guy and the youngest of a family of 14 children?-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is all about relationships. Our landlord explained that he is not a "flipper" which is just as well here in Chapala Haciendas right now He was looking for cash flow, from a reliable, steady renter. That is what professional landlords seek, reliable law abiding tenants, not huge rents. It is a long game. Nothing has changed in our relationship, and I now know that we are covered by a one year lease under the M.exican Landlord Tenant act.

I am more interested in tracking down the one who started this rumor. I have an excellent relationship with his best friend. I personally think he got mixed up with another nearby house.

But then again, another wise maxim, let sleeping dogs lie.

18 hours ago, rvanparys said:

one does wonder why Chillin does not contact the landlord... Common sense seems to dictate this approach...

No...many do not have to wonder.

• Haha 2

OK... have to weigh in with another possibility nobody has mentioned, altho' the presence of a realtor makes it a less  likely possibility.

Chillin' mentions Chapala Haciendas. Can't say in very recent years, but there was a time a while ago that there were MANY home-invasion robberies, often at gunpoint, and including more than one where occupants were killed.   So absolutely  Chillin', you SHOULD contact your landlord.

For all you know the people were there on a pretense  solely for the purpose of casing the joint, to return (or accomplices) later to do the job. You're being naive if you think you should just "let sleeping dogs lie". The landlord (like mine, also a lawyer) would quickly put the word out that he won't tolerate this behaviour and believe me, the message would be received. NOTHING works better than the "Mexican Telegraph".

Many years ago our previous Mexican landlord put the word out in the 'hood after a we arrived home to find a broken window and signs of someone being in the house (nothing gone... we got there in the nick of time). He too was feared, went directly to the local small-time "gang",  and I can promise you nobody  tried  again for the next 7 years we  lived there.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

No...many do not have to wonder.

I would rather Forget the Alamo, as well as the myth of Pappy, who couldn't even handle living in Mexico, but still hangs out on an obscure Mexican web board. Not helpful, as RV is, but in that Texas xxxxkicking way, not helpful at all.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/bryan-burrough/forget-the-alamo/

• Confused 2

The original Chapala Haciendas was launched in the 1970's as the first development to specifically target foreigners as a planned community. Tall fences were not allowed, businesses were not allowed. Then sales fell off, we have been here over ten years, and have not seen any "crime wave", but many homeowners built higher walls, fencing and iron bars - just like all the other planned communities Lakeside.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

... Chapala Haciendas ..... we have been here over ten years, and have not seen any "crime wave", .....

Well we've been here a LOT longer than you, and trust me.... we knew some of the victims. Maybe you don't have enough connections within the Mexican community to hear all of what goes on up there.

And to be clear.... I dind't say "crime wave"...... but I do insist you are not self-protective enough.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, CHILLIN said:

I would rather Forget the Alamo, as well as the myth of Pappy, who couldn't even handle living in Mexico, but still hangs out on an obscure Mexican web board. Not helpful, as RV is, but in that Texas xxxxkicking way, not helpful at all.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/bryan-burrough/forget-the-alamo/

Hahaha, Chillin that's a feeble attempt. If you were fortunate to have the medical coverage we have you would probably understand why moving back to the US was a no brainer. I have no problem with folks who use IMSS, like you, because it's certainly better than nothing. Our coverage provides payment of a $30 co-pay to any doctor, no restrictions, no referral needed with a $2000 max out-of- pocket per year. They advised our premium, for both of us, would rise from $324/mo to over $1300/mo unless we moved to be able to use Medicare. So therefore a no brainer. My handle, Pappy, is used because we have had an eBay store for many years and it's name is Pappysmarket. My 12 day hospital stay last year in one of the best hospitals in the RGV was horrible during the Covid pandemic but not because the treatment was bad but with no visitors it was tough. The one thing I didn't have to worry about was money or deciding if I could afford it. Hope you never have to use your IMSS and your health stays well. Regards, Pappy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Hahaha, Chillin that's a feeble attempt. If you were fortunate to have the medical coverage we have you would probably understand why moving back to the US was a no brainer. I have no problem with folks who use IMSS, like you, because it's certainly better than nothing. Our coverage provides payment of a $30 co-pay to any doctor, no restrictions, no referral needed with a $2000 max out-of- pocket per year. They advised our premium, for both of us, would rise from $324/mo to over $1300/mo unless we moved to be able to use Medicare. So therefore a no brainer. My handle, Pappy, is used because we have had an eBay store for many years and it's name is Pappysmarket. My 12 day hospital stay last year in one of the best hospitals in the RGV was horrible during the Covid pandemic but not because the treatment was bad but with no visitors it was tough. The one thing I didn't have to worry about was money or deciding if I could afford it. Hope you never have to use your IMSS and your health stays well. Regards, Pappy.

Yer selling some nice shirts I see and even some used stough.