Chapala.com Webboard

Thanks for the art supplies

Just wanted to give a shout out to Chillin for donating a bunch of useable pigments, printer, easels, Tshirt press and all the other good stuff to the kids I am helping learn some art techniques 💖 I and the kids really appreciate it and we are just starting to explore their uses which I expect will expand their knowledge and my own🥰Thank you so very much💗

• Like 5

I am so glad they are working out for you. I learned how to paint and sculpt from photographs, pictures from books, whatever catches your eye. Print out your scans in b&w or color in the "tile" format, which allow up to mural size printouts. Larger sizes are easier to paint than fussy, little minatures. The tile prints have black lines, which you then tape or glue together. The easiest program for this called rapid resizer (.com).

Then put the drafting vellum paper over top of the tiled portrait. Use the electro pounce tool to punch clean, small holes, along all the main parts of the drawing. In fresco this paper is called a cartone or cartoon, it can be used over and over again. Some masters, like Ilia Assonov of Los Angeles, recommend painting the cartoon at this stage, to define your colors.

The next stage is to transfer the cartoon to whatever you are painting. This is easy, you " pounce" the cartoon with a small sack of pigment, and all the lines are temporarily transfered to your drawing surface. Remove the cartoon and start painting, usually light to dark.

This technique can open so many doors for your students. Sandblasting mats can be cut, so you can engrave words and photos into stone. This is the way they made old fashioned, hand painted billboards. Airbrushing tee shirts becomes much easier. All paintings, especially with words and numbers look much crisper and professional. Then with the techniques your students can branch out to personal syles we can't even imagine.

Another benefit of this technique is that you can scratch, or destroy, any paintings you don't like and easily try again while it is fresh in your mind. Another all nighter. That is part of the tragedy and ecstasy of of becoming an artist. As Lou Reed and John Cale wrote in their tribute to Andy Warhol, Open House, ' You scared yourself with music, I scared myself  with paint, I drew 500 shoes today, it almost made me faint' Then also, 'there are no stars in a New York sky, they are all on the ground'