Chapala.com Webboard

Today's (August 1) national referendum

I just learned from the Washington Post that a nationwide referendum is scheduled here today. Wondering whether the usual rules and restrictions regarding alcohol sales etc, will apply and if so what are the specifics?  (Guess I should get out more.)

Just AMLO trying to divert attention from his own failures to those of his predecessors. Informal vote that will change nothing because no possible way for enough people to vote that results could have any legal effect.  Just go about your own business as usual. Being a citizen I COULD vote, but not sure if there's even a polling station nearby for my "no" to the one question, and I've read  wording is so ambiguous it makes the whole stunt meaningless anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unlike his fake airport consultation, this one has been scrutinized....

The Supreme Court re-worded the question.

“Do you agree or not that the pertinent actions be carried out in accordance with the constitutional and legal framework, to undertake a process of clarification of the political decisions made in recent years by political actors , aimed at guaranteeing justice and the rights of potential victims? ”.   

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

There needs to be a participation of 40% of registered voters for it to count.  Hopefully that won't happen.

That's another reason I'm not going. They can lie about the actual votes (si o no) but my absence will contribute to keeping totals below 40%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

“Do you agree or not that the pertinent actions be carried out in accordance with the constitutional and legal framework, to undertake a process of clarification of the political decisions made in recent years by political actors , aimed at guaranteeing justice and the rights of potential victims? ”.  

Gobbledygook is gobbledygook no matter in what country it's used to obfuscate and confuse.🤣

Reminds me of the Colorado ballot for the Equal Rights amendment back in the '70s. It was written so "No" meant "Yes, I'm for it" and "Yes" meant "No, I'm against it". When we managed to get it passed - with over 60% NO votes, the opposition (who wrote the measure) went to court and got it thrown out because it was too hard to understand. We then passed a better written measure by an even higher percentage. Weren't the 70s fun?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Total failure and waste of money. AMLO can give lessons on how to waste our money.

If he is such a "dud" why does the financial markets stay strong,  today's  ex rate is 19.85, So far the peso has not plunged as it did under previous administrations. I know my MX relatives think he is a bogey  man and will take the country down the same road as Venezuela, God forbid

• Like 1

Trying not to be political.... In the last three years 

When the Mexico City Airport construction was cancelled Moodys down graded Mexico's bonds, since they have been downgraded again and Pemex bonds are now junk status(costing billions in extra interest) 

The energy reforms are being dismantled in favor of government run again. (Pemex loses more money than any oil company in the world) The health system was reorganized and 2 years later still no one understands how it is run. No money for medicine.... Aviation system has been downgraded and the budget cut... pilots can't even get their required medical checks. Hugs and not bullets policy has emboldened the cartels which are in control of more areas daily.

Billions have been spend to completely change the National Police to the Guardia National with all new vehicles, and uniforms.  Military is  in charge of Guardia National.  Customs is being taken over by the Guardia National (military). Environmentally protected  areas forgotten to build a new refinery which will end up costing double the original estimate. (meanwhile around the world major oil companies are selling off refineries)  Military being used to construct the new airport and a large part of the Train Maya both with huge cost overruns and no accountability.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I know my MX relatives think he is a bogey  man and will take the country down the same road as Venezuela, God forbid

Your Mx relatives are right on. More than anything he wants to manipulate himself into permanent office and then the hidden dictator will be right out in public. Yes.... God forbid.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

So what happened with this referendum.  Anyone show up and vote?  Or was it like that Mayan train joke of a referendum.

The national news this morning reporting less than 8% of the registered voters participated and add to that people with expired INEs were allowed to vote as well. 

Participation is well below the 40% required (37.4 million) of the 93.6 million citizens in the register for the result of the consultation to be binding or mandatory.

The INE president counselor, Lorenzo Córdova, explained that in the 57 thousand 70 receiving tables or boxes that were installed this Sunday, the estimated participation percentage of the was 7.07 and 7.74% . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Unlike his fake airport consultation, this one has been scrutinized....

The Supreme Court re-worded the question.

Looks like the same voting card writer lives over here in the states too.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

The national news this morning reporting less than 8% of the registered voters participated and add to that people with expired INEs were allowed to vote as well. 

Participation is well below the 40% required (37.4 million) of the 93.6 million citizens in the register for the result of the consultation to be binding or mandatory.

The INE president counselor, Lorenzo Córdova, explained that in the 57 thousand 70 receiving tables or boxes that were installed this Sunday, the estimated participation percentage of the was 7.07 and 7.74% . 

The people have spoken!

AMLO held two previous referenums (i?) with representation from only a small part of the country. Does anyone belive that he will not accept the vote regardless of the the percentage of citizens that actually cast a ballot?

4 hours ago, Alfa said:

AMLO held two previous referenums (i?) with representation from only a small part of the country. Does anyone belive that he will not accept the vote regardless of the the percentage of citizens that actually cast a ballot?

The Supreme Court has already ruled in the requirements of this referendum. 

Actually the federal government has had the ability to prosecute any formal government official without any referendum. AMLO just wanted it to be a "the people want it" situation.  If he does he could be causing himself future problems. He hasn't had a job in 20 years and his oldest child is living in Texas in a mansion with private 24/7 guards... With money from where??