Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Black mould under bathroom sink


Recommended Posts

We just noticed what appears to be black mould along the base of the wall under the bathroom sink. There is also salitre on the wall above it. We have read that black mould is dangerous if inhaled. What is the best way to remove it and does anyone have any names w/phone numbers of professionals who have handled this successfully for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely a sign of moisture over an extended period of time.  Don't disturb, spray with strong solution of water and bleach, the affected area and around.  Do it several times until all is dead.  Then find and fix the leak.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have cleaned 1,000s of sq. ft. of mold, algae and moss. All bleach does is "bleach" the color out. The roots are still alive. To kill the mold, best is superheated steam. There is a local steam clean company but any of consumer models available on the internet are enough, and capable so many other uses it will surprise you.

A water leak is the cause, probably the basin needs a silicone sealant bead run around where it meets the counter. Smooth out the bead with a wet finger

We are currently replacing the wood parts of a kitchen basin leak, which attracted termites before we noticed the damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

All mold that is black isn't dangerous. You can't tell what type of mold it is without a spore test.

Yup.

Guys that do mold cleanup will use an ozone generator type of air cleaner. Ozone eats rubber and cells like lung cells so you can't be in the room when it's locked in a room filling the room with ozone. A brush with bleach solution works wonders busting the main stuff up so spraying to let soak in gets down into the stuff.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

All mold that is black isn't dangerous. You can't tell what type of mold it is without a spore test.

Exactly! I am allergic to molds,have an ongoing black mold problem in one bathroom[15 years] and because I don't spend much time there,don't even sneeze.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...