Chapala.com Webboard

Queso Fresco

Karina G

Where can I find the kind of queso fresco that will fry up golden brown outside and stay soft on the inside? I want it for hors d'ouevres, i.e. topped with tomato, avocado, olives, ham, etc. The last time I bought something that looked more like goat cheese and was a gooey disaster in my saute pan, tho it was labeled "queso fresco." It didn't look right but there wasn't another option...

Been through this so many times, in a village near Puerto Vallarta, called El Tuito they make a wonderful rich and creamy Queso Fresco. They slowly get very popular, and then disaster-someone gets listeria, etc. They are using unpasteurized milk, which is delicious, but dangerous. Do not buy it, please.

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, CHILLIN said:

Been through this so many times, in a village near Puerto Vallarta, called El Tuito they make a wonderful rich and creamy Queso Fresco. They slowly get very popular, and then disaster-someone gets listeria, etc. They are using unpasteurized milk, which is delicious, but dangerous. Do not buy it, please.

Just so you don't worry, I asked Santiago and he said his queso fresco is made with pasteurized milk.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:32 AM, MtnMama said:

Just so you don't worry, I asked Santiago and he said his queso fresco is made with pasteurized milk.

Guess no one else has a suggestion. Thanks for the input, everyone, but who is Santiago, please and where would I find him and his cheeses?

46 minutes ago, Karina G said:

Guess no one else has a suggestion. Thanks for the input, everyone, but who is Santiago, please and where would I find him and his cheeses?

See posts above. Santiago has a booth at the Monday Chapala tianguis, the Tuesday Farmer's Market, the Wednesday Ajijic tianguis and a shop across from the Chapala plaza. His is NOT the shop with all the imported stuff.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, AndyPanda said:

Panela, especially better-quality panela, fries up real good. Very common at cheese shops, of which we don't have too many. Also at supermarkets, but certainly not fresh.

Best Paneer Cheese Substitutes - 6 Ideas To Try Today - Foodiosity

Panela Cheese

Prepared usually from pasteurized cow milk, Panela cheese is a more-than-perfect paneer substitute. Mexican panela turns soft when heated, but doesn’t melt – exactly like paneer cheese. Although Paneer originated in India, Panela from Mexico is practically the same thing when it comes to using the two.

Both the cheese varieties are termed “fresh cheese”, which means they are used quickly after they are made, instead of being put aside to cure.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, Karina G said:

Where can I find the kind of queso fresco that will fry up golden brown outside and stay soft on the inside? I want it for hors d'ouevres, i.e. topped with tomato, avocado, olives, ham, etc. The last time I bought something that looked more like goat cheese and was a gooey disaster in my saute pan, tho it was labeled "queso fresco." It didn't look right but there wasn't another option...

Sounds delightful may I come?,