Chapala.com Webboard

cockroaches

What are people using to deal with cockroches? I have "hat"screens on all the house sinks and drains, sticky traps. Getting rid of all carboard.  They are worse this year or in this location. 

Boric acid works great. Get some oatmeal and and paper plate and sprinkle boric acid on it. It's a white powder. I mix it about trying to get the boric acid on every piece of oatmeal. Then leave it someplace your animals wont get to it. They say near where the roaches get water so there's more traffic but the garage works too. Any area with stuff stored plied up probably has where they lay eggs. The boric acid alone sprinkled on the ground is the usual way. I don't like the sticky traps because baby oil on a Q-tip to extract little lizards isn't fun for the lizards. 

You could try the boric acid under the refrigerator since most have a water source down there from the frig defrosting itself. Most important is realizing taking a piece of bread out tossed crumbs and eating can make crumbs the roaches live for.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

There is a use for almost everything for amusement. When I was on the night shift at Swift Canadian we would capture some and hold races on our desk. Here our dog Chuck amuses himself by pawing them to death.

pedro kertesz

chuck.jpg

Chuck sure looks worried about something.

SunFan

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stream said:

Boric acid works great. Get some oatmeal and and paper plate and sprinkle boric acid on it. It's a white powder. I mix it about trying to get the boric acid on every piece of oatmeal. Then leave it someplace your animals wont get to it. They say near where the roaches get water so there's more traffic but the garage works too. Any area with stuff stored plied up probably has where they lay eggs. The boric acid alone sprinkled on the ground is the usual way. I don't like the sticky traps because baby oil on a Q-tip to extract little lizards isn't fun for the lizards. 

You could try the boric acid under the refrigerator since most have a water source down there from the frig defrosting itself. Most important is realizing taking a piece of bread out tossed crumbs and eating can make crumbs the roaches live for.

Thanks. I forgot about boric acid. Under the fridge and stove and storage cupboards seems the best place to try that. I don't have oatmeal or boric acid. Where can you buy boric acid? I guess cereal or rice could replace the oatmeal.   "How Does It Kill Cockroaches? When cockroaches crawl through the boric acid powder, it gets all over them, sticking to their legs, arms, etc. When the cockroach preens itself (cleans itself), it ingests the powder. If the cockroach doesn’t clean itself, its body will naturally absorb the powder anyway. Once the acid is inside the cockroach, it makes its way into the nervous and digestive systems, causing death shortly after ingestion.

Boric acid is considered so effective because cockroaches eat other dead cockroaches. As most of us are aware, cockroaches are not picky about what they do and do not each, going so far as to eat other cockroaches if they’re dead. After the cockroaches eat the one that died from the boric acid, the acid gets into their system, and the cycle continues"

8 minutes ago, cedros said:

Under the fridge and stove and storage cupboards seems the best place to try that.I don't have oatmeal or boric acid. Where can you buy boric acid? I guess ceral or rice could replace the oatmeal.   

A piece of bread soaked in beer in the centre of a flat dish or foil.  Sprinkle boric acid around the edge of plate.  Presentation is the key.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, fishcake said:

A piece of bread soaked in beer in the centre of a flat dish or foil.  Sprinkle boric acid around the edge of plate.  Presentation is the key.

Thanks. Sounds tasty.

I have never had them so bad. My little dog got quite skilled at killing and eating scorpions and catching and eating cockroaches but she is 12 now and has lost interest. This place is on sewer and young cockroaches come up the sink drains the mesh "hats" stop that.

1 hour ago, Stream said:

I've used sticky traps for years and have never caught lizards-just cockroachs, scorpions and spiders and my dog once.

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

There is a use for almost everything for amusement. When I was on the night shift at Swift Canadian we would capture some and hold races on our desk. Here our dog Chuck amuses himself by pawing them to death.

pedro kertesz

Swift meat packers? Good combination.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cedros said:

I haven't had geckos for years. I miss them.

Kind of funny but I'll say try leaving a light on at night for them :) 

Idea is the light attracts moths and moths attract lizards. Not a yellow bug light but a plain white light. Possibly an LED light would work okay not sucking up power. Where I live now an invasive species of lizards from Puerto Rico eats other lizards and their eggs. Seems the geckos numbers are down. But I did see a roach come out of the grass onto the porch the other day and thought cock-a-roach you are in trouble. Then like lightning one of the lizards bolted past me scooping the roach like heck no this roach is my meal going over to a planter to hide with his prey that was bigger than him. 

One thing I've noticed from some of the geckos that always hide is when I turn the lights out they'll give that laugh sort of call sometimes. Not sure if it means good night or what. Here some of the windows are jalousie windows with the screen on the inside with the wood jalousie's cracked so lizards have a hunting grounds where moths are semi trapped. That's where I get the gecko laughs from most of the time. Any creatures need water so a plastic planters base can double as a watering pace for the lizards. Figures moths give them dry mouths :) I'm nuts so I put low sugar strawberry jam out for some Day lizard that are green with red spots.stripes on their backs. I've got an army of those guys now around 15 or more just by the gate where i feed them. They run amuck in the house too not bothering the rare geckos. 

The weirdest lizard breed we have has like a dinosaur fin on his back. Still can't find any info on them. Enough rambling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stream said:

Kind of funny but I'll say try leaving a light on at night for them :) 

Idea is the light attracts moths and moths attract lizards. Not a yellow bug light but a plain white light. Possibly an LED light would work okay not sucking up power. Where I live now an invasive species of lizards from Puerto Rico eats other lizards and their eggs. Seems the geckos numbers are down. But I did see a roach come out of the grass onto the porch the other day and thought cock-a-roach you are in trouble. Then like lightning one of the lizards bolted past me scooping the roach like heck no this roach is my meal going over to a planter to hide with his prey that was bigger than him. 

One thing I've noticed from some of the geckos that always hide is when I turn the lights out they'll give that laugh sort of call sometimes. Not sure if it means good night or what. Here some of the windows are jalousie windows with the screen on the inside with the wood jalousie's cracked so lizards have a hunting grounds where moths are semi trapped. That's where I get the gecko laughs from most of the time. Any creatures need water so a plastic planters base can double as a watering pace for the lizards. Figures moths give them dry mouths :) I'm nuts so I put low sugar strawberry jam out for some Day lizard that are green with red spots.stripes on their backs. I've got an army of those guys now around 15 or more just by the gate where i feed them. They run amuck in the house too not bothering the rare geckos. 

The weirdest lizard breed we have has like a dinosaur fin on his back. Still can't find any info on them. Enough rambling.

I have 3 nightlights inside

10 hours ago, cedros said:

I have 3 nightlights inside

I was thinking outside light or light next to a window to get the bugs to gather so the geckos would hang around to eat. I don't think an indoors night light can do that. Having areas they can hide and lay eggs helps immensely. Maybe if you have an outdoors electrical outlet that doesn't get rain a bright enough night light would do the trick. 

The worst thing to do is get a bug zapper. It's sickening hearing a gecko fry on one of those like a neighbor had set up. 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Stream said:

I have 7 trays with boric acid and oatmeal scattered in my casita but so far have only found one dead cockroach. I usually find one live one a day. So maybe it is not working or do I just need more time. The landlord sprayed arounf the outside of the house.

Did you expect that they would, like the Raid commercial, die in front of you? They may take the mix back to their nest and feed the family. If you aren't finding them it may very well have worked.  I haven't seen any cockroaches since the rains started so it could just be the natural cycle.

7 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Did you expect that they would, like the Raid commercial, die in front of you? They may take the mix back to their nest and feed the family. If you aren't finding them it may very well have worked.  I haven't seen any cockroaches since the rains started so it could just be the natural cycle.

No, I did not expect them to die in front of me. I am finding some. The landlord upstairs said he thought he had mice in his cupboards as the cockroachs were making so much noise. So I will try putting sticky traps on the connection between him and I. 

A couple of years ago when we had a problem we tried boric acid and it did help, however someone recommended max force, Which can be purchased at most hardware stores. This product eliminated them….. anytime we see one,we repeat the process . I wish we would’ve had this product when we lived in Florida.

I bought a product called "CANNIBAL" on mercado libre (I also saw it for sale at the Chapala monday market, just make sure its not a fake). The girl that cleans my home applied it to various areas in my kitchen (its a paste). The next morning a lost count of all the dead cockroaches. This was 2 years ago and have not seen one since.☺️