Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris Customer Service


Zeb
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is only one airline flying nonstop from GDL to Seattle during the daylight hours. It's Volaris  The next best choice is AA it is not nonstop and one has to sit around in the DFW airport for perhaps 5 hours doubling the the time it takes to get to Seattle from GDL.

Volaris has such a bad reputation that I guess my only choice is American Airlines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RickS said:

Same thing with Denver Pete....

BTW.... I have probably flown them 15 times in the last 10 years with zero problems ever.

 

Rick,  Maybe that is true or not. 

Are you a Permanent Resident?  If so, and you are filling our their reservation form, it asks your citizenship.  What then happens, automatically, is that they are charging a Tourist Tax on each entry into Mexico.  This is illegal.  We are not tourists and are exempt from this tax.  Even their Call Center does not know this.  I made the mistake of completing the form and putting in my correct citizenship.  Years ago, my travel agent said the only way to fix this is to type is that you are Mexican.  Instead of creating a field on their form asking for the Residency Information, they just take the money.  It's about 30 USD on each trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zeb said:

Rick,  Maybe that is true or not. 

 

No, what I said is true. It may not fit every case for everybody but it surely fits mine.

And no I'm not Permanente...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Zeb said:

Rick,  Maybe that is true or not. 

Are you a Permanent Resident?  If so, and you are filling our their reservation form, it asks your citizenship.  What then happens, automatically, is that they are charging a Tourist Tax on each entry into Mexico.  This is illegal.  We are not tourists and are exempt from this tax.  Even their Call Center does not know this.  I made the mistake of completing the form and putting in my correct citizenship.  Years ago, my travel agent said the only way to fix this is to type is that you are Mexican.  Instead of creating a field on their form asking for the Residency Information, they just take the money.  It's about 30 USD on each trip.

Airlines, by law, have to only consider the passport passengers are entering another country under and not any residency a passenger has. It is not illegal or unethnical only the law. What is illegal is falsifying an entry FMM form stating you are a Mexican citizen to save $30 dollars. Very bad advice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Zeb said:

It is called a "non-resident" fee not a "non-citizen" fee.

Airlines usually list the FMM card as a tourist tax when looking at the list of charges. I have yet to see it listed as a non-resident fee or a non-citzen fee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW,  there is a scam that is currently running with Volaris.  Doctored fake emails are sent out to passengers a few days before their confirmed flight and they are advised that their flight has been changed to an earlier date, like within 24 hrs.  When you call Volaris customer service for information, the call is transferred to someone outside of Volaris who will scam you for new tickets and a payment thru Zelle, which cannot be reversed.  You have been scammed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After some experience with them I have to question using the words "Volaris" and "customer service" in the same sentence.

In truth though, these days you could say that about every airline.  It is hard for me to think of a more customer unfriendly and abusive industry than airlines these days.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, AlanMexicali said:

Airlines, by law, have to only consider the passport passengers are entering another country under and not any residency a passenger has. It is not illegal or unethnical only the law. What is illegal is falsifying an entry FMM form stating you are a Mexican citizen to save $30 dollars. Very bad advice.

You're not doing that on a government form.  You're doing that on the Volaris page to avoid being erroneously charged.  When you get the FMM all the information on that is correct.  Have done this a number of times.  If you try to get your money back by not doing this and being charged, good luck to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You're not doing that on a government form.  You're doing that on the Volaris page to avoid being erroneously charged.  When you get the FMM all the information on that is correct.  Have done this a number of times.  If you try to get your money back by not doing this and being charged, good luck to you.

Yes. Thank you for fine tuning that.  That is exactly what I need to do and have done in the past.  This time, I totally forgot this residency issue when I completed the reservation form.  Since they are crooks, there is no other way to handle this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

In truth though, these days you could say that about every airline.  It is hard for me to think of a more customer unfriendly and abusive industry than airlines these days.

 

Tax collectors. 

Thanks for your tip on filling out the forms. Any idea if you can do that with United?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

Tax collectors. 

Thanks for your tip on filling out the forms. Any idea if you can do that with United?

United and American require you to pay upfront, then request a refund (at least when you book online).  American refunds (credit to cc) post in 3 or 4 days.  United is slow on refunds....10 days usually.  When we flew Delta, it was an Aeromexico  code-share and Aeromexico staff asked to see our RP's and did not charge it (we were in person at airport, last minute change of plans as our United flight was scheduled to go through Houston the day of that infamous February snowstorm).  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a great way to get interest free loans.  None of the airline policies are for the benefit of the consumer.  Imagine if we could just book a flight, fly, then pay afterwards.  How would that work for them?  They use our money.  We should use theirs.  What a concept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Zeb said:

What a great way to get interest free loans.  None of the airline policies are for the benefit of the consumer.  Imagine if we could just book a flight, fly, then pay afterwards.  How would that work for them?  They use our money.  We should use theirs.  What a concept.

I'm holding my breath while you seek investors.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I fly them a minimum of 12 times a year and never had a problem.I you buy in advance they are way cheaper than other airlines  and I sure would not spend time with a small refund if my time was valuable.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not fly internationally so it is irrelevant to me and I am a Mexicn citizen so I  would not pay the tax anyways. If I flew internationally I would care but if I did it once in a while I would not. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...